Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Why do people vote Labour ?
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

I ram my trolley into Skoda’s

And throw my rubbish on poor peoples gardens.

Listen to yourself and then have a word

i had a listen, could hear something indistinct then it became clear. ‘don’t forget to put the bins out tonight’.

thanks for the inspiration and insight.

ThePinkster

Because they’ve decided to vote unselfishly for the benefit of society rather than their own immediate short term gain.

^This^ and what kiksy said – that was put far more eloquently than I ever could.

I’d agree with this if the nationalisation of services (say, rail or water) if the result is free to use (like health and police services are).

This belief that the NHS & police, etc are free to use has always concerned me.
    None of them are free to use, they’re just not paid for at point to contact. anyone paying taxes, National Insurance, rates, etc, pay for them.

What really annoys me are the arsebunions who live in the UK, earn millions and avoid paying tax on any of it then expect these vital services to protect and support them for free.
    Most of which probably vote and support the Tory party and their policies.

easily
    Free Member

Not a lot of difference between them when it comes to running the country on a day to day basis. Every now and then, though, the Labour party do something that’s worthwhile:

Creation of NHS
    Getting rid of death penalty
    Legalising homosexuality
    Bringing in safe, legal abortion (Liberal bill, passed under Labour government)
    Sure start
    Equal pay act …

That sort of thing. Stuff that makes a real difference to people, makes their life a bit better. I assume the OP dislikes all these things.

Oh, and England only ever win the World Cup under a Labour government.

D0NK

Water and power though are very easy to waste, and they are a very limited resource. People will leave lights on or tumble dry on sunny days or have lots of baths etc because they can. Having to pay for these things means you become aware of the cost and try to reduce usage, which benefits the world.

wait til you hear about petrol. Seriously the amount of people Ive seen recently just sat in their car idling for well over 5mins, much longer in other cases – not even hot days so excuse of aircon – some people just waste resources, doesnt matter whether they’ve paid for it themselves or whether they are rich or poor.

footflaps

Every now and then, though, the Labour party do something that’s worthwhile:

Creation of NHS

Whilst I am in no way a Tory supporter (they are vile), I do feel obliged to point out that he creation of the welfare state was very much a consensus between Labour, Liberals and the Conservatives and each played a huge part in the creation of the NHS. It’s only since the 80s where Labour and Tories have diverted to polar extremes on the NHS.

A very potted history: overall vision was from a Liberal, William Beverage, who wrote the famous Beverage Report, which was adopted by all parties. The education system was originally led by a Tory MP (Rab Butler) and the NHS was originally led by a Labour MP (Aneurin Bevan).

I can highly recommend this as a good read:

The most fascinating thing, for me, is how much the parties have changed over the years from the 40s when it all started. You wouldn’t recognise the Tories in the 50s for example, campaigning for a GE on out doing Labour for the number of council houses they would build….

fatmountain
    Free Member

Because in the manifesto Mr. Corbyn promised he would address the following issues and I believed him.

A GREEN INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION
    ECONOMY AND ENERGY
    TRANSPORT
    ENVIRONMENT
    ANIMAL WELFARE
    REBUILD OUR PUBLIC SERVICES
    FUNDING
    NHS AND SOCIAL CARE
    NATIONAL EDUCATION SERVICE
    POLICE AND SECURITY
    JUSTICE
    COMMUNITIES AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
    FIRE AND RESCUE
    DIGITAL, CULTURE, MEDIA AND SPORT
    TACKLE POVERTY AND INEQUALITY
    WORK
    WOMEN AND EQUALITIES
    MIGRATION
    SOCIAL SECURITY
    HOUSING
    CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUES
    THE FINAL SAY ON BREXIT
    A NEW INTERNATIONALISM
    EFFECTIVE DIPLOMACY
    DEFENCE AND SECURITY
    INTERNATIONAL SOLIDARITY AND SOCIAL JUSTICE

https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-2019.pdf

And agree with Mr. Smith about the Trolleys.

AD

Sense of social justice.
    Genuine belief in the old adage of ‘from each according to their ability, to each according to their need’.
    Strong sense of right and wrong.
    I’d also vote Lib Dem to try to stop a conservative.

loum
    Free Member

I won’t make that mistake again.

easily
    Free Member

@footflaps
    Book added to reading list. Cheers.

creation of the welfare state was very much a consensus between Labour, Liberals and the Conservatives and each played a huge part in the creation of the NHS

Fair enough, but I’d bet that if the Tories had won in 1945 it would never have happened. These things only occur under Labour governments. The one exception I can think of is Cameron equalising the age of consent – kudos to him, even if everything else he did was despicable.

supernova

I don’t think you can judge the Parties of 1945 by the standards of today. The entire country had just been through a terrible time together and the differences were much less pronounced.

pondo

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

Because they like to pretend they are caring, whilst viciously attacking anyone that disagrees with their vision of how everything should be.

Listen to yourself and then have a word

nicko74

The long and short of it is people’s political leanings are decided, to a large extent but not entirely, by their life situation.

When you don’t have as much money as others, and when you feel that you’re at the bottom of the pile, you’re very much in favour of redistributive politics, and that gives everyone the same opportunity to succeed, do better than their parents etc. Hence voting for working class parties that favour high taxation and a solid social net.

When you have money, and feel that you’ve worked hard to get it (whether you’re deluded or actually have done so), you’re less in favour of redistribution, generally, and want to keep hold of what you have. Hence voting for more right-wing parties that favour lower taxation and (in theory) minimal government.

That said, the recent incarnations of the Labour and Tory parties have thrown that into a cocked hat – for some reason the Tories have become obsessed with bringing government into the home, ensuring you don’t look at naughty things online, don’t parent in ways of which they don’t approve, and so on. The Labour party’s recent incarnation has been about bringing hard left policies such as mass nationalisation of essential infrastructure with imaginary money, and Uncle Jeremy who believe Nicolas Maduro is just a great guy.
    Thank heavens, people can now vote Labour because: they’re genuinely in favour of redistributive policies that help the poorer and in theory assist social mobility; they don’t want a hard Brexit; and (finally, praise be), they just want someone other than the current BoZo and the amazing Clown Show in power.

Stainypants

I don’t agree with the post above, I vote labour knowing that I’ll be considerably worse off doing so.

To be fair without resurrecting the Jeremy Corbyn thread, the last two times were incredibly difficult. I no way wanted to endorse Corbyn but Labour were the only chance of removing our useless Tory MP and I know the labour candidate and he’s a good guy.

Now Kier Starmier is in charge I’m hoping come the next election I’ll not be so conflicted.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Why do people vote Labour ?’ is closed to new replies.