Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Why do people have knives?
  • SD-253
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    I’ve got to 38 years, and spent a wee bit of it in the outdoors, and I’ve never felt the need to carry a knife. I feel so inadequate now, reading this.

I’m not against knife carrying per se, not at all, but I have never really heard an argument that justifies carrying one? I think you have read a multitude of arguements for carrying a knife. As stated for gutting a rabbit etc and my mushroom knife. I think maybe you just don’t want to listen therefore you won’t here. Or in this case taking your hands from over your eyes would help!

Chopping an apple or cutting cheese? Really? Do these people not have teeth?.

don’t tell me you haven’t used a knife to cut up cheese or for that matter an apple. That is just bollocks

Educate me please

pointless if you refuse to be

SD-253
    Free Member

.aphex_2k – Member
    paracord,

Where did you get the para cord from? I piled in on my last jump and I reckon missing para cord in my rigging lines was contributetry factor!!!

CountZero

Just to add to the debate, one of the pocket knives I carry around is probably a hundred years old. It’s been languishing in a drawer for almost as long as I can remember, and the blades were very rusty and pitted, but a bit of work cleaning it up and it’s a useful little knife. Very basic, one blade and a pointed can opener, with nickel side plates. Made in Sheffield, of course.
    How do I know it’s age? It has the date 1917 engraved on it, and the name of its owner, and Arras, where he was killed, aged 19.

mmannerr

Another discussion which sounds like some people are living on another planet.
    I think I must have at least two dozen different types of knives for use outside kitchen and I don’t even hunt. Knives for outdoors stuff (Opinels do not last, neither do Leathermans as a single tool), knives renovation / carpenter stuff, couple of Swiss army knives ( must have lost ten of those over the years ) and couple for others for misc stuff.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I use a pocket knife most days at work ….carpenter/roofer/builder.. Wouldn’t be without it …

aphex_2k
    Free Member

550 Paracord from online – ebay is cheap usually. Always have cord and zip ties in my bike bag. Even took cord when I went on hols – made a washing line!

Mike – yeah most people LIVE in towns but in WA it doesn’t take long before you’re out in Woop Woop! Rather have stuff with me and not use it than not have it and need it. Plenty of space in the back of the forby so a little bag with a bit of kit is useful to me.

And Leatherman don’t last? Depends what you’re doing with them. Not had a problem with any of mine and the warranty is decent if they do fail.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just winding you up Aphex but it does play into the must own a 4l v8 truck incase there is sand on the drive thing…

Anyway WA is woop woop….

joolsburger
    Free Member

Prompted by this thread I went looking for a decent Sheffield steel kitchen knife, it’s a shame that there do not seem to be any UK manufacturers anymore.

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member
    mmannerr

And Leatherman don’t last? Depends what you’re doing with them. Not had a problem with any of mine and the warranty is decent if they do fail.

Leatherman tools do not tolerate twisting motion as well as a typical knife with spine extending through handle. The Leatherman warranty is extremely good one (covers user errors like these) but it will not help if you are in the backcountry with broken tool.
    Surprised comments about Opinel knives, I thought they were meant for baguettes and smelly cheese only…

Cougar

I have an Opinel knife. Doesn’t come out with me much as it’s got a locking blade so I’ve not really used it in anger yet. In truth though I’m a little scared of damaging it as it looks relatively flimsy; am I worrying unduly?

nedrapier

I think so.

Opinel started making knives in 1890, selling as many as 20 million by the start of WW2. They’re popular for a reason.

In 1985 the Victoria and Albert Museum in London selected the Opinel as part of an exhibit celebrating the “100 most beautiful products in the world”, featuring the Opinel alongside the Porsche 911 sports car and the Rolex watch.[1] The Opinel was also selected as one of the 999 classic designs in Phaidon Design Classics,[1][6] and has been exhibited by the New York’s Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) as a design masterpiece.[1]

woody21
    Free Member

Picking up on Mattbee’s verse; I know someone that sells knives (both kitchen and “hunting” knives) who uses the following ditty when selling on various markets:-

“By a knife for the wife, get another for her mother”

Not entirely PC

nedrapier

Just seen mmannerr’s post. Depending how you use them, maybe they don’t last, and if you get them wet, the wood swells and they’re hard or impossible to open until you’ve dried them out.

They are cheap, though!

nedrapier

Do think it’s bit of a non-question, and a bit sad that it’s being asked. Not just by the OP, but in general. I’ve got a whole bunch of stuff around the house I could kill people with, but I’m not sure anything with a blade would be top of my list.

My wife brought me back a Sirupate Kukri from a work trip in Nepal. Slightly surprised that she wasn’t pulled up at customs. It’s very useful and versatile, you can cut meat, chop firewood, split kindling, strip branches, prune trees. Used it for all those things, and it’s a shame it’s not acceptable to have it along on a camping trip, when people wouldn’t blink at a hand axe.

CountZero

The stories this could tell:

Dickie Hillier’s pocket knife by CountZero1, on Flickr

Cougar

That right there is a thing of beauty.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hey maannneerrr

Comparing tasks with a leatherman and a full tang fixed blade isn’t really a fair comparison. Like comparing a toffee hammer with a sledgehammer. And yeah the warranty is no good while you are out but then I wouldn’t be using the leathrman blade for twisty things when I have a fixed blade (cold steel recon tanto).

Mike yeah I know WA is woop woop…. Soon we’re getting fm radio! 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

joolsburger – Member

Prompted by this thread I went looking for a decent Sheffield steel kitchen knife, it’s a shame that there do not seem to be any UK manufacturers anymore.

Chris Cane’s parang is made in Sheffield.

This small one …

You can see it made on Youtube.

JoeG
    Free Member

CZ – is that knife a family heirloom?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Not sure why I like knives. I just always have. I rarely use them but find myself staring at shops with them in the window and have on a number of occasions just bought them for the hell of it. I have a number of throwing knives (and stars) and a couple of hunting type knives but even love a good kitchen knife. Most people don’t know I like them, and I rarely feel the need to talk about them but I’ve used the hunting knife a lot while camping (7 inch, decent weight and cuts through branches well when prepping a fire) and the throwing kit is fun evening entertainment with a beer around a camp fire. Don’t feel the need to carry one on the bike or in the car though. Doing otherwise normal tasks with a lovely curved overkill evocative knife is strangely rewarding.

Slightly irritating but I suspect carrying something like the size of my hunting knife even while camping would raise an arrest these days even if only used while camping.

IanW
    Free Member

Just seen mmannerr’s post. Depending how you use them, maybe they don’t last, and if you get them wet, the wood swells and they’re hard or impossible to open until you’ve dried them out.

They are cheap, though!

That’s what I remember about the ones I had as a child, the latest versions (oak and beech handled one stainless one carbon) go through the dishwasher and come out working fine.

mmannerr

Hey maannneerrr

Comparing tasks with a leatherman and a full tang fixed blade isn’t really a fair comparison.
    Sure it is if you have only one tool with you… but I admit that I don’t like folding knives in general, too many “oops nearly lost my fingers” moments. 😳

CountZero

CZ – is that knife a family heirloom?

Yes, Dicky was a relative, my dad was named after him. The blade had been really worn, mainly because it kept getting closed up on the lanyard ring, which has deep gouges in! Took a lot of work to get an edge back on it, and the can opener pointy bit was badly corroded at the end, and the tip was broken off. otherwise it’s as it has been for many years, just lying around in a kitchen drawer. It had been given to my dad, then after he died just got put into a box of odss and sods in a drawer. Judging by the wear, Dickie had probably had it since he was a lad, and he wasn’t that old when he was killed,around 19-20, I think.
    Nice to have it back in use again. It was made by Ellis Ltd, Sheffield.

stavromuller
    Free Member

We visited the town of Laguiole in france a couple of years ago and every other shop was a knife shop, real things of beauty [/url]

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Swiss army knife.

Why?

To cut stuff with, of course.

Plus, it doubles up as scissors and screwdriver and bottle opener and whatnot. TBH I used it more for this kind of thing than as “a knife”.

Travis

I’m sure I have seen similar threads somewhere on American MTB threads about carrying firearms 😀

stavromuller
    Free Member

Found a better linky [video]http://youtu.be/xiUpseqn-BE[/video]

Tiger6791

You need to watch this. This guy is very scared of Dwarves!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYcOrEJzMuo[/video]

😯

Also not sure what the mini clear plastic Dildo is for ???

Cougar

I’m sure I have seen similar threads somewhere on American MTB threads about carrying firearms

“Every Day Carry”, they call it, the stuff you take everywhere as a matter of course. In the UK it’s a wallet, phone, keys, and if you’re really rangy maybe a pen. In the US they’ll also typically have a military-grade flashlight, some sort of Bowie knife and a 9mm pistol. As EDC. 😯

crikey
    Free Member

He took all that to Disneyland?

Seriously messed up person in seriously messed up country….

…with pudgy hands…

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Why do people have knives?’ is closed to new replies.