• This topic has 37 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • why do people get so upset by rich people spending money
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats your problem, this week there has been- footballers – overpaid bunch of layabouts
    person buys classic car for 3odd million described as obscene??

WTF if you had the cash and were happy about your economic future would you spend it?

Or is classic jealousy creeping in

Soon there will be gongs for people spending money maybe you can get an OBE with every 200,000 spent to keep the economy going. (and this time not just lending it to the labour party)

From what the government say we need every rich git to spend all they have for there to be any hope of the world continuing to turn

sodafarls
    Free Member

“I believe i can fly ,
    I believe money trickle down,
    Friedman say it be that way…”

coffeeking
    Free Member

People get very emotive when discussing things they will likely never attain, its the joy of the moral high ground to cover jealousy!

sodafarls
    Free Member

Ah, the joy of the moral high ground in the absence of jealousy…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I don’t object to them spending it, I object to them having it! I believe in fair shares.

chewkw
    Free Member

I don’t care how others spend their money so long as they don’t go crying foul when the money dry up.

😯

sodafarls
    Free Member

But Simon, we are supposed to ignore that easy access to the means of aquiring said wealth and prosperity through systems in place in this county does not actually exist! You angry jealous little man you! I for one feel ashamed for not achieving the status in British society that my aquaintances born into the venerable upper middle classes have attained through their own hardwork alone, and not through the options in life provided by daddies cash and contacts, and even moreso, I feel degraded that I have the audacity to be aware of such a phenomenon!

mboy
    Free Member

Personally, I’ve never had a problem with anyone who has money spending it for their own enjoyment as long as they’re not rubbing other people’s noses in it!

IMO, the guy buying that classic Bugatti is obviously just a total car nut, and it was bought at auction, it’s not like the guy is standing up in front of the world saying “look at me I can spend £3million on a wreck of a car, how cool am I!” is it, just some anonymous car nut with a load of cash. That doesn’t bother me in the slightest, even though right now I’m totally brassic and jobless. Fair play to him for realising a dream, even if it did cost £3m!

What DOES bother me is self righteous c**ts trying to “justify” their latest purchases to other people, particularly publicly (internet forums people, HELLO!), and bragging about how it’s “only money” and “you can’t take it with you”, and especially when it comes to mountain bike frames that they feel they are “doing the poorer people on STW a favour” by buying an expensive new frame then selling it on 2 months later for 1/2 price. Sorry, do what you want, but just STFU about why you bought it! Just say “I bought it cos I wanted it, and I had the cash spare”, that’s fine and dandy, it’s super cool with me in fact! If you need to “justify” your latest expensive purchase to people, you obviously have a severe lack of skill and try to compensate for this grossly with your bank balance!

Sorry for the whinge, but there are several of these people lurking on this internet forum in particular right now. Maybe I’ll chill out a bit though when I get another job and can afford to sit around with wallet open, picking up someone else’s 2 month old cast offs… Perhaps 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

You angry jealous little man you

I’m to conceited to be jealous of anyone 🙂 I actually have more money than I need, and feel rather guilty about it. Apart from camera equipment (and kids) I have nothing much to spend it on

I’m angry about injustice, but I’m too busy living to do anything about it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I object to them having it! I believe in fair shares.

And when I get hold of THEM there will be trouble I bet they have 2 heads and everything the greedy gits be much better if we all had £30 and the same house communism worked well now didn’t it

As I believe it goes “Four legs good, Two legs bad” or was it “Four legs good, Two legs better”

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

wass’t Jesus a communist ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i think he was in the peoples front of …..

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Nah, Jesus is in U2, or is that Bono?

theotherjonv

I had to laugh at a report that said Wayne Rooney had been slammed by restaurant staff after he had eaten out recently (nowhere posh by the sounds of it), run up a bill for £30-odd quid and then produced a half price voucher.

Poor bugger can’t win, can he?

sometimerider
    Free Member

Well, seems fair enough to me. You’re supposed to present the voucher before ordering. Hardly newsworthy though.

BigDummy
    Free Member

DOWN WITH STRAW MEN!!!!!

hora
    Free Member

I couldnt care less how much someone else earns and spends more than me. I’m not that insecure. I dont think ‘chunt’ nor do I think ‘good on you’. I judge the person on them/how they come across. Ive met too many people in my life so far who dont confirm to stereotypes.

Free Member

Even if every person in the world had the same amount of money, assuming the ‘wealth’ was distributed evenly across the globe “a fool and his money are soon departed” (I heard quoted…) … so the fools would think spend spend spend, the ‘intelligent’ would think wisely and reap the benefit of the foolish behaviour!

And yes, Jesus was a muslim communist, in a band called U2, living only on a diet of shredded soya beans.

ton

What DOES bother me is self righteous c**ts trying to “justify” their latest purchases to other people, particularly publicly (internet forums people, HELLO!), and bragging about how it’s “only money” and “you can’t take it with you”, and especially when it comes to mountain bike frames that they feel they are “doing the poorer people on STW a favour” by buying an expensive new frame then selling it on 2 months later for 1/2 price. Sorry, do what you want, but just STFU about why you bought it! Just say “I bought it cos I wanted it, and I had the cash spare”, that’s fine and dandy, it’s super cool with me in fact! If you need to “justify” your latest expensive purchase to people, you obviously have a severe lack of skill and try to compensate for this grossly with your bank balance!

mboy, are you just ickle bit jelous tho… 😉

Drac

I don’t know it maybe gives them a sense of importance, “Hey! Look I have morals I’m objecting to something.” or maybe their just communists.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

If you’ve got it, it’s yours to do with what you want. If you haven’t and want it then it’s up to you to do something about it.

If you can’t be arsed with the latter then I can’t see how you can have a valid complaint.

badbod99
    Free Member

I think it depends on scale. Someone buying a nice car, a big house, an expensive holiday all fair do, it’s their cash, totally up to them.

What is not on is people who shouldn’t have the money, drug dealers, gansters, oil barrons, robert mugabe, russian mafia bosses. You get the idea.

The other side is that there is only so much wealth to go round and the massive disparity between earning minimum wage, or even living hand to mouth on the streets of India and having £10bn in the bank just seems unjust.

ton

all i know is money is for spending.
    if you have the money and you want something buy it.
    do not sit around getting bitter and twisted about people spending their money.
    mboy, this IS aimed at you….tightwad…. :mrgreen:

BigDummy
    Free Member

Surely, we can agree that there could theoretically be something along the lines of “fair shares” and that that would be something to be said for no-one having vast wealth while others did not have enough.

BUT, it is unclear that anything useful can be said about whether a particular individual has too much money on the basis of their bicycle purchasing habits or their attitude to them…

sootyandjim
    Free Member

BigDummy – Can this utopian ‘fair shares’ scheme factor in lazy **** who can’t be bothered to put any effort into life getting nowt and those that try a bit harder in life getting a little more?

BigDummy
    Free Member

Yes, certainly. My objection extends only to the existence of “have-yachts” while there are people who regard clean water, shoes and a life expectancy of 35 as luxuries.

🙂

sootyandjim
    Free Member

So will you take people’s yachts off them, sell them and then give the money to poor folk?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh dear. People missing the point, AGAIN…

mikewsmith; it’s not that someone buying a tatty old car is a problem, the real issue is that they would spend such an obscene amount of money on it. All I am saying, is that people, as individuals, should maybe think, before they spend £3 million on a tatty old car, or whatever obscene amount, on trivial nonsense.

I think it’s just part of the Global sense of insecurity that seems to pervade every aspect of our lives. You are ‘nothing’ unless you are wealthy, and in order to prove your status, you must display your wealth.

I think SFB, Sodyfarls and mboy have it.

Or is classic jealousy creeping in

You assume that someone is ‘jealous’, because they question the ethics of wasting money on a tatty old car? Not at all, I just think it’s bloody stupid. You could do a sh1t load more with such an amount.

If you’ve got it, it’s yours to do with what you want. If you haven’t and want it then it’s up to you to do something about it.

That assumes a level playing field.

Something which our wonderful Western governments seem hell bent on preventing…

Course, it must be his fault, he din’t get ‘on his bike’, and make better of himself…

miketually
    Free Member

Nah, Jesus is in U2, or is that Bono?

Jesus was a millionnaire! No, that was Bruce Wayne.

Drac

ll I am saying, is that people, as individuals, should maybe think, before they spend £3 million on a tatty old car, or whatever obscene amount, on trivial nonsense.

For all you know the guy may have given millions away to charities.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

For all you know the guy may have given millions away to charities.

For all I know, he could have made his fortune from selling drugs, people-trafficking, arms dealing, slavery, illegally disposing of toxic waste, etc…

Drac

For all I know, he could have made his fortune from selling drugs, people-trafficking, arms dealing, slavery, illegally disposing of toxic waste, etc…

Possibly.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Boots sells drugs.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What a bellend, spending £3million on a car. If I had that cash Id probably give it away, Im sure it would make me feel better. Although Im not interested in cars anyway.

The worlds gone mad

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It’s worth pointing out that if drug trafficking were not illegal there’d be little money in it, well, no more than sugar trafficking anyway, and if people’s lives were happier they might not even want to resort to any kind of drug

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Plenty of happy people drink alcohol.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

It’s worth pointing out that if drug trafficking were not illegal there’d be little money in it

What like tobacco being totally legal to import, and yet there is a massive black market and illegal contraband smuggling?

Drac

And there’s bugger all money in tobacco or alcohol.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘why do people get so upset by rich people spending money’ is closed to new replies.