Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Why do none of the TdF riders have hipster beards?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Is it an aero thing?

edhornby

in the last years’ there were a few, Wiggo, Bernie Eisel but I would imagine it’s easier to keep clean, same reason as the leg shaving

IIRC correctly the beard has little impact on aero, something about once the air is disturbed flowing over the helmet then the beard may help to stabilise the flow or at least not make it any worse

crikey
    Free Member

I suspect it’s because they don’t want to look like fannies.

(I’m using fanny in the sense of silly rather than any direct comparison with a ladies garden)

benpinnick

EPO makes your beard fall out.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

I’m with crikey.

hammerite
    Free Member

Dan from Nam had an impressive beard in the race last year.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Only the ladies are allowed beards. 😉

everyone
    Free Member

Simon Geschke has a pretty cracking beard.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cos the hipster/shoreditch samurai trend died 2 years ago when they all got hitched and have had kids.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

You forgot the mobile callin’ powder lovin’ Luca Paolini

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Dan Mclay has an attempt at a beard, didn’t slow him down much today.

parkesie
    Free Member

Because they dont ride fixie bikes?

MoreCashThanDash

Waiting for Carrera to bring out a team kit with one fake denim leg rolled up?

onandon
    Free Member

Coz it’s hirodynamic innit 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Some cool beardage there!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Dan Mclay has an attempt at a beard, didn’t slow him down much today.

Actually, forget that. he appears to have had a shave since I last saw him.

maccruiskeen

Simon Geschke has a pretty cracking beard.

Its not intentional – the soigneur accidentally handed him a bidon of the team sponsor’s shampoo.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s a bit warm for riding with a beard. I was planning on shaving mine off when the weather got warmer but now my forehead and cheeks are tanned so if I shave it off I’ll have a white chin.

puddings
    Free Member

Geoffrey Soupe of Cofidis usually has mighty face fur although previously has trimmed it to a magnificent mustache

The creative mustache then brings you onto John Degonkolb (although as maccruiskeen as pointed out with Simon Geschke, this could be as a result of sponsors spillage)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Rule 50 innit!

allthegear
    Free Member

I might be being a tiny bit naive here but won’t they just be really hot? It’s like wearing a jumper on your face, surely?

Rachel (not exactly a beard expert)

philjunior
    Free Member

Whilst tests on moderate beards show little aero effect, I’m fairly sure when mine reaches full winter growth there’s a bit of drag there. I always seem to do better at track league the week after I trim it.

globalti
    Free Member

Years ago I had a beard on my passport photo. I shaved it off and went to Pakistan on a business trip and the Immigration officer thought it was hilarious, so much so that a bunch of other immigration officers gathered to look at my picture and point at me while laughing and asking: “Where is your beard Sir?”

It seems that shaving off your beard is not manly in Pakistan.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it an aero thing?

No, its the same as anyone else, they don’t want to look a tit, and look like everyone else who has one, who for some strange reason think they are making an individualised statement, when the complete opposite is true

jimdubleyou

Peak beard was 2013/14.

We are now on a downward trajectory for the next 30 years (since the late 19th century, beards are only fashionable every 30-40 years or so).

kerley
    Free Member

Beards have had their day, it is the moustache now which is harder to pull/easier to look like a **** than a beard

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Why do none of the TdF riders have hipster beards?’ is closed to new replies.