• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Carax.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why do my shoulders hurt?
  • maycontainnuts

I rode the summer monkeys 6hr over the weekend. I don’t usually do xc races or ride for longer than a couple of hours but enjoyed it a lot, and was in awe of the speed of the fast riders.
    However after about 3hrs I had terrible pains between my shoulder blades which only got worse.
    I’m wondering if it is a bike set up issue. Maybe too wide bars?
    For reference, I’m a fairly big lad 6ft 2. 15stone. Wide shoulders. I was on a xl dirty harry with 820mm bars.

A long shot I know, but any input appreciated.

whitestone
    Free Member

Hurt as in pain or hurt as in tired/muscle spasms?

If you aren’t used to riding for long periods then it *may* be the latter.

igm

Bars too wide restricting your shoulder-blade movement I’d say. And you’re just not used to it.

Of course I know nothing on this subject

Yak

Great course yesterday, but I reckon it would be a bit of a beating for most folk unless they regularly ride 6hrs on similar stuff.

Well done btw.

maycontainnuts

Definitely muscular and constant.

That was my thinking IGM.

I’m going to take a hacksaw to the bars bars, once I’ve summoned the energy to get up.

Thanks yak, certainly not used to that long in the saddle, got the John Wayne gait going on this morning.

mogrim

Definitely muscular and constant.

Just sounds like tiredness: if you’re planning on doing more of these events you probably want to hit the gym and work on upper body strength, otherwise just accept it’s going to happen… I wouldn’t bother cutting down the bars.

onandon
    Free Member

Could be a number of things.
    Unhelpfully it could be too much or not enough reach.
    I suffered on my road bike and found just dropping the saddle by half and inch solved the problem.

I moved the same saddle hight of my cannondale scalpel and that felt much better too.

legend
    Free Member

Just sounds like tiredness:

yup, I get it on my road bike (not helped by old shoulder injuries) and that certainly doesn’t have wide bars

nikk
    Free Member

I think it is being tense that does it. I suffered with this a lot. I have to make a conscious effort not to tense my shoulders when riding, especially climbing. Also some gentle neck stretching helps.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOsE-VPpkE[/video]

I used to think it was just cycling that did this to me, but a hike with a small backpack did the same thing. I don’t think backpacks help as they again encourage slightly tense shoulders, needing conscious effort to relax.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Not just you – I did 6 hours as well, and even though I’m used to that, it was a course that beats you up.

For me, it’s my spindly arms and my neck that hurt today, although feeling fairly jaded all over as a late mechanical prevented me from doing a warm-down spin or any stretching.

I don’t know what your ideal set-up is so could well be room for improvement, but a race like that will find your weak points and make them hurt, whatever they are!

maycontainnuts

Thanks all, plenty to think about there.

Carax
    Free Member

I think it is just your body not used to it. In winter my normal MTB rides were up to 4 hours.
    From the spring I have been riding longer and at first shoulder pain kicked in after 4 hours and gradually got worse and worse. After a few weeks riding longer, the pain starts later and is less intense, until eventually no pain during 6 hr rides.
    On the road bike the pain starts sooner, and I still get it 4 hrs plus, so I do not think handlebar width is a factor.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why do my shoulders hurt?’ is closed to new replies.