Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why do my dogs prefer rainwater to tap water?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

What is it with dogs?

They will ignore their bowl of freshly drawn tap water but they love the rainwater that collects the bowl I leave outside. The more leaves and stuff floating in the better.

Anyone else have a hound that loves skanky rainwater?

paladin

skanky rainwater not got skanky chlorine and flouride in it 😀

RobHilton
    Free Member

Dogs eat poo! The skankier the better, for them.

whitestone
    Free Member

Rainwater will have trace elements in it that they need. Our cat will drink from whatever outside but won’t touch tap water.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Mine are the same.
    1)At a guess tap water has additives to help purify it chlorine fluoride etc . Dogs may be more sensitive towards it due to better sense of smell.

2)If a bowl of water has dead things floating in it, then its basically gravy

IHN

Because dogs, as I can testify first-hand, are idiots.

The door into the lounge in our house is at the foot of the stairs and when the door is ajar it overlaps the bottom stair a bit. The dog can get out of the lounge by hopping up onto the bottom stair. However, he’s not yet worked out how to get back in and sits on the other side of the door, whining…

somafunk

My dog will only drink tap water if it has been left sitting to dissipate the chlorine, usually overnight, like yours he is perfectly happy drinking out of manky puddles/streams etc

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

IHN This is also very true. Intelligent in so many ways, thick as mince in others. Much like humans really.

unovolo
    Free Member

My cat is the same, bowl of fresh water next to his food bowl but nope he would rather go out and drink rain water from the top of my sons upturned sand pit.

When you bare in mind both cats and dogs enjoy licking there own balls/arses its maybe not such a surprise.

taxi25
    Free Member

Mine will happily drink from the toilet bowl, thats tap water isn’t it 😆

irc

Yes, why will my dog happily drink tap water from the toilet bowl but not her water bowl?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Yes, why will my dog happily drink tap water from the toilet bowl but not her water bowl?

*Ahem*

Rob Hilton – Member
    Dogs eat poo!

Try crapping in her water bowl to see if it makes a difference.

kormoran
    Free Member

Yeah my dog won’t touch whisky but drinks muddy water out of a puddle. How dumb is that? Thick as mince some pups

maybe she wants rainwater in the whisky and not tapwater

dufresneorama
    Free Member

My cat is the same, bowl of fresh water next to his food bowl but nope he would rather go out and drink rain water from the top of my sons upturned sand pit.

Move bowl away from food, cats are fussy this way, might help with dogs too.

Speeder

When I moved to Cheltenham from Malvern I thought he water tasted like absolute cr@p it was so over chlorinated. I’m used to it now and it tastes fine. I’d not be surprised if with a better sense of smell and therefore better sense of taste they can’t stand tap water.

Just because you’ve grown accustomed to it doesn’t make it ok.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why do my dogs prefer rainwater to tap water?’ is closed to new replies.