Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Why do my calves hurt so much?
  • topher40
    Free Member

Another question arising from my 1st visit to BPW. Started on Melted welly, Blue Belle, Bushwhacker, calves fine. By the time I got down Sixtapod and Willy waver, ouch they were beginning to hurt. Come Terrys Belly, which ive really been looking forward to, well I was on the seat going into some parts as I just couldnt stand up on the pedals anymore.Ive just got back into riding have been to Afan several times and have never had a problem like this before. What would the wise heads on here reckon? Should I just accept the limits of age and take up knitting or would an hour a night on the exercise bike help?

ajantom

Try calf exercises such as standing on a step, toes on the edge, and lifting your weight.

I find that if I haven’t ridden properly for a while my calves ache after the first long DH, as you’re not used to being in that heels down position for extended periods of time.

topher40
    Free Member

Thanks thats just what I wanted to hear. Im a paclage delivery guy and on my feet all day so stretch regularly which was why I was a little concerned, still theres a big difference between the Blues at Afan and BPW, a difference that had me cackling like a loon

scaredypants

do you centre your feet on the pedals for the DH bits or are the balls of your feet over the axles ?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Drop your ankles and relax , you’re tense and ‘standing’ on the pedals would be my guess.

chiefgrooveguru

Relax into the pedals. Shift your feet forwards so the pedal is more under the middle of your foot.

stevious

Can’t offer any help other than to mention the fact that you can sing the title of this thread to the tune of ‘Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad’ by Moby.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Often, at places like BPW, you can find yourself in the same position for almost all of a run. Not like Afan, as per your example, where you’re more likely to be pedalling, in and out of the saddle, as well as moving around the bike a lot more.

At BPW, your saddle is dropped, you’re on the pedals in a 3-9 position for a lot of the time. It could be that the lack of movement is having an impact.

topher40
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice folks. I was riding with balls of feet centred but will shift feet forward as recommended and see if that makes a difference. Im probably tense as well as it was my first proper day at BPW and its a little different to Afan. Im going up again tomorrow with higher tyre pressures and calves stretched as much as they can be before I start.

Stevious- not on my stereo!

chiefgrooveguru

On the easier trails try swapping your lead foot (inside forwards is best) and also dropping your outside foot in turns. That’ll keep you moving and give your body an easier time, as well as helping you flow better. Don’t swap your lead foot for jumps or drops until you’ve had plenty of practice!

topher40
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru- Theres easier stuff than the blues? Where? I jest. I think some coaching may help in the future but everything folks have said sounds good and I will be trying it out tomorrow. calves are still a little tight from Tuesday and I suppose being out of practice on the bike doesnt help either. More time on the exercise bike in front of the stereo for me

hooli

If it is any consolidation, everything on me hurts when I have a day at BPW. I put it down to not being (bumpy downhill) bike fit as I only ride that sort of stuff a few times a year.

brakes
    Free Member

maybe they miss their mummy

jambaron
    Free Member

Are you running clipless pedals?

My calves used to hurt with them, until I moved the cleats about 10mm backwards (so my weight is nearer the middle of my foot). They’re now better for descending as my calves no longer hurt, but doesn’t feel as good as they did for pedalling.

If your on flats you may need to alter your foot position on the pedal slightly.

nickfrog
    Free Member

When you know you’re standing for a long time (ie typically at BPW) one trick consists in locking your legs when/where possible. This means your bones support you rather than your muscles. Not always possible/practical but even a few seconds help relieving pressure on muscles without having to seat down.

On the blues at BPW there should be a decent amount of opportunities to safely do that.

topher40
    Free Member

Brakes- lovely picture but the abbatoir is missing

topher40
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice folks. Did the same again today at BPW and it was only the end of Terrys that my calves became to wrecked but I caried on and am suffering now! Change of foot position and dropped heels advice worked a treat. Thanks again

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Why do my calves hurt so much?’ is closed to new replies.