Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Why do I persist with Firefox?
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I’ve been a Firefox user since day one and I have loved it. Absolutely loved it.

However, I will be among the first to concede that it’s become a bit crap and crashy – it’s not what it was, and Chrome is a far better browser these days.

Yet, I don’t love Chrome and I find myself dipping back into Firefox. Is it just force of habit or is Firefox simply more likeable?

What do you use?

#firstworldworries

Coyote
    Free Member

Internet Explorer on all machines at work except mine. I have Firefox and will be keeping it.

samuri
    Free Member

I have no issues with firefox.
    Chrome is definately quicker though.

kevj
    Free Member

Firefox all the way for pc/laptop. What version are you running because as of 2.3 or thereabouts stopped doing auto update and you now have to go looking for the next version (might just be settings on my machines, but three of them?)
    Runs fine on all of mine.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve moved from Firefox to Chrome and I much prefer Chrome as it’s simpler with the address bar also being the search bar and it’s quicker too. I’ve also noticed that it doesn’t crash as often as Firefox did

flap_jack
    Free Member

2.3 ? My mac just (auto)updated to version 8 !

john_drummer
    Free Member

I used to like Safari but since the latest upgrade it refuses to remember some, but not all, passwords, so I now use Firefox instead.

Safari was much quicker & I really like the “top sites” thing but if it remembered my passwords I’d still be using it

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m running 8.0 on my Mac too.

mandog

I like firefox because of the delicious toolbar. Is there a better combination?

Wibble89
    Free Member

Never got on with firefox for some reason, also tried chrome when it first came out but some things didn’t seem right. Opera seems to work nicely for me.

Potdog
    Free Member

I used to love Firefox, but just recently with the updates it seems to have got slower and slower.

Now Chrome all the way!

Northwind

Never found Firefox crashy at all. Chrome’s a wee bit faster but that doesn’t make up for the (IMO) general horribleness of the interface.

MarkyG82

Been using firefox 8 all day and its noticably faster. They have some new rendering scripts or something.

fisha
    Free Member

I’ve found Firefox to hang up more often recently, just seems to stall on certain pages. Chrome seems to handle the same pages better

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Firefox 8 was much improved over previous versions for random crashes, running 9.0 now seems fine as well

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I found FF7 crashing constantly on my mac, 6 never did it, other browsers were fine, but I couldnt get used to them. Although I did enjoy Opera. Using the FF Nightly builds now, very fast, and no crashes 😀

Taff
    Free Member

Use Firefox at home and work but I’ve had to put in extra memory at work to cope with it although not as bad as I don’t keep STW on all day at the moment! Been tempted by chrome but explorer constantly crashes for me

RealMan
    Free Member

Running the latest version of firefox here. It’s actually had a few random crashes, the last version was perfect, but not nearly often enough to annoy me.

Try chrome now and then, and maybe it is faster, but I can’t really touch the difference that much. We’re talking like milliseconds of difference, so who cares?

And once you’re used to all the features firefox offers, chrome just seems basic and tatty in comparison, and kind of awkward to use.

Been a firefox user for years now, repeatedly tried to switch to chrome to see if it would be better, and it never is.

kimbers

i like firefox, especially adblocker

but it was getting a bit slow and crashing for me so stopped about a year ago

even with the ads running chrome is faster, although i feel myself being sucked further into the googopoly

scuzz
    Free Member

even with the ads running chrome is faster, although i feel myself being sucked further into the googopoly

Considered Chromium? (Open source, Chrome is derived from it, Google just add branding, integrated flash, integated PDF, autoupdate, couple of codecs…)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Chrome. Firefox is dreck.

I get the impression that there’s a lot of “Steve Jobsian-type loyalty” to the brand because of it’s faux-rebel independent vibe.

GrahamS

No problem with Firefox here.

Run it all day, every day and I can’t remember the last time it crashed or had a major issue.

Fast enough, stable enough, has the add-ons I need, so no reason to change.

scuzz
    Free Member

I get the impression that there’s a lot of “Steve Jobsian-type loyalty” to the brand because of it’s faux-rebel independent vibe.

eh? It’s a browser, not a ‘lifestyle choice’.
    Used firefox since ’04. Never crashes, set up with different profiles for work / personal browsing, everything how I want it.
    Never seen a Mozilla advert off of a computer. This makes me happier than Chrome billboards etc…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Been using Firefox for years and I still like it – works well for me but then I am running v3.6!

toby1

Firefox is fine, I use it all day every day and it just works, yeah it eats memory and isn’t the quickest (Opera I have found to be the quickest).

But it just looks and feels like home here in firefox 🙂

passtherizla
    Free Member

I really don’t get all the love for FF…. i hate it! its slow, all that mal/spyware shit is guff.

dropped it years ago.

Chrome.

GrahamS

all that mal/spyware shit is guff.

What mal/spyware shit??

greeble
    Free Member

Currently running Aurora 9.0a2 (alpha of firefox) better than chrome tbh.

AlexSimon

I have used Firefox ever since it came out.
    I was a Netscape user before then.

I guess you just stick to what you know (I’m now used to Firebug too and a few other add-ons too)

I have to test all of them though regularly and IE is still totally totally broken. Webkit browsers and Mozilla browsers are all so good now, it doesn’t really matter which you use IMO.

I can’t say I’ve ever suffered crashes! The only time it struggles is with multiple milti-page PDFs. It can hang then.

cookeaa

Work won’t allow anything but IE.

I’ve been on FF since one of the early beta versions. not really had any issues. it has become a tad slower in recent releases obviously this is due to more and more bells and whistles. Not tried chrome yet. I do “like” FF can you like a browser?

opera mini on my phone….

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Firefox on all machines at home. Never had it crash in many years of use.

Not a loyalty thing though, just does its thing well, though the current pop-up notification telling me that its using a lot of memory is beginning to annoy me.
    I might give Chrome a try if it has anything akin to that useful extension 😉 whose name shall not be mentioned. Does it?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I like firefox lots but I have to say the constant barrage of updates is kind of annoying. Just make a stable version and stick with it for 6 months!

GrahamS

Not a loyalty thing though, just does its thing well, though the current pop-up notification telling me that its using a lot of memory is beginning to annoy me.

Stop using AVG then, it’s bloated crap these days.
    Firefox is actually quite good for memory use.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/09/browser-speed-tests-firefox-7-chrome-14-internet-explorer-9-and-more/

I like firefox lots but I have to say the constant barrage of updates is kind of annoying.

They started doing frequent minor updates because Chrome was doing it and people reportedly liked it. The ideal is that you never have to worry about what version you are running, because it will always be the latest one.

AlexSimon

The updates are ok. The version numbers are ridiculous though!

The updates wouldn’t be a problem, if all add-ons always worked. But there’s often a period where I’m without one or two, while the developers catch up.

GrahamS

The updates are ok. The version numbers are ridiculous though!

Likewise that’s a Chrome thing. v0 to v17 in 3 years.

passtherizla
    Free Member

maybe they have gotten rid of it, FF came out at the height of pop ups doing everyones heads in… FF had bolt ons for stopping pop ups, mal, spyware.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why can’t I get vimeo to work properly on Firefox? anyone?.

GrahamS

Why can’t I get vimeo to work properly on Firefox? anyone?.

You’re blocking it with Flashdance?

AlexSimon

Nobeerinthefridge – Flash plugin problem?
    Download the latest just in case.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

GrahamS

Stop using AVG then, it’s bloated crap these days.
    Firefox is actually quite good for memory use.

Yes, I think that’s going to be my next little job. I was a little surprised that AVG got to thinking that 400 meg constituted a problem to an I7 6 gig laptop! [edit] might be 4 gig, I forget [/edit]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Why do I persist with Firefox?’ is closed to new replies.