Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Why do Flo Jo's records still stand?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just watching interviews with her in 1987 and 1988 (when the records were set). In 1988 her voice is deep and she sounds like a man, her jaw has grown huge compared to 1987, she has muscles everywhere. The fact that she won by such a margin, and its clear that she must have been caning the steroids, and nearly 30 years later no 100m and 200m runner has got near her records, surely they should be wiped clean…?

chip
    Free Member

she has muscles everywhere.

That is because she was an athlete innit.

I think they need proof.

dannyh
    Free Member

I thought she had tested positive. Am I mistaken?

chiefgrooveguru

Sadly there was no proof she was on drugs, presumably because whatever was being used was done too cleverly for testing to detect at that time. And then she retired just as they introduced out of season testing…

CountZero

Never seen together in the same room…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Same goes for the women’s 400 and 800 world records.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Because she was great on Play School.

chip
    Free Member

Her and that Brian cant , I think that was his name.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

flo jo, dodgy wind?

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/~spstnpl/Publications/FlojoWR(Linthorne).pdf

can we add mens long jump and triple jump to the list just to muddy the waters of the dodgy eastern europeans of the 80’s – no one else is near,

long jump, 2 consecutive jumps over a 23 year old record (lewis, a now known doper, illegal wind) then powell soon after on a +0.3 wind??

triple jump, a huge wind assisted 18:43 in Lille, but less wind than willie banks (18m 20cm) at the above flo jo event, then consecutive world records with a +1.3 wind

dirtyrider
    Free Member

check the wind on the blocks, hair/number being blown on “6” and flo jo’s hair when walking back, around 52s

Ottey inteview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFEcyCXpAg8

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

dirtyrider are you implying that Edwards was not playing by the rules?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Iirc there are loads of world and olympic athletics records set by East Germany in the early 80’s that they think may never be beaten under current anti-doping regimes.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

dirtyrider are you implying that Edwards was not playing by the rules?

help from above no?

edhornby

problem is taking a record away, what do you replace it with ? the next one down on the list, how do you decide if that’s clean enough ?? or the fastest time this year then what about last olympics where x ran faster.. ?

mudshark
    Free Member

Not proven guilty so what can you do? If can then take the record away, edhornby’s issue is irrelevant.

hairyscary

Jarmila Kratochvilova, women’s 800m world record holder

kratochvilova by nicksirs, on Flickr

jamesy01
    Free Member

There is more sausage on display in that ^^^ photo than my local butchers shop window…

jfletch
    Free Member

I think there is fairly unequivecal concensus that Kratochvilova was on the sauce.

The same isn’t true of Flo Jo.

langylad
    Free Member

I thought it was pretty much accepted now that flojo was doping.

jfletch
    Free Member

Don’t think so.

I’ll change my mind if there is there is a load of expert concensus that she was doped but I’ve not seen it. To the contrary I think opinion is swinging that she may have been clean.

surfer
    Free Member

To the contrary I think opinion is swinging that she may have been clean.

I have never read anything that does anything but question her rapid improvement and physical transformation from 87 to 88. She also retired very quickly after a number of unnamed athletes had failed drugs tests immediately after the Seoul Olympics.
    Whilst it is all conjecture the likes of Carl Lewis (himself a drugs cheat) has accused her of drug taking and Darrell Robinson (ex US 400m record holder) claimed he supplied her with drugs. We may never know for sure but I think most people doubt that she rewrote the record books legally.

olddog

I often think there is a load of hypocrisy aimed at cycling and striking off TdFs etc.

There is loads evidence, medical records and witness, including from the athletes that East Germans were doping – the obsessions with Stazi record keeping and German efficiency for you. But no-one has gone back through Olympics striking out gold medalists or rewriting world records.

I think the athletics is quite pleased that cycling distracted a lot of flak from their history

eddie11
    Free Member

‘I think the athletics is quite pleased that cycling distracted a lot of flak from their history’

i think (road) cycling doesnt help itself either, it loves to tittle-tattle about doping. Its the default gossip when theres when its a bit quiet, like football loves a good moan about its referees.

Atheletics doesnt seem to do it, people get caught (sometimes even in jamaica) they are admonished, people move on, the wider sport remains untarnished, doppers never seem to be presented as symptomatic of the wider sport.

(actually what do atheletics fans talk about, stride patterns?) 😕

jfletch
    Free Member

I have never read anything that does anything but question her rapid improvement and physical transformation from 87 to 88. She also retired very quickly after a number of unnamed athletes had failed drugs tests immediately after the Seoul Olympics.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/10/sport/olympics-flo-jo-seoul/index.html

Might be bollocks, might not be but it does something other than question her rapid improvement.

I’m not saying she was definately clean. I am saying its far from incontrovertible that she wasn’t.

Usain Bolt is as much better in the mens now than she was in the womens then. Should we scratch all his records and ban him now just becuase he is good?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Might be bollocks, might not be but it does something other than question her rapid improvement.

It’s an article whose principle source is her husband and coach and whose only other evidence is from a man who is thought to have intentionally destroyed evidence of doping at the ’84 olympics… Colour me unconvinced.

BoardinBob

Listened to Victor Conte on the Joe Rogan podcast and he knows a thing or two about this…

Doping was massive within the US athletic team in the eighties but it was all brushed under the carpet. National pride, competing against the Russians etc all led to failed tests being hushed up.

BoardinBob

Jarmila Kratochvilova, women’s 800m world record holder

Didn’t know Roger Daltrey was into athletics!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Don’t think so.

I’ll change my mind if there is there is a load of expert concensus that she was doped but I’ve not seen it. To the contrary I think opinion is swinging that she may have been clean.

WHAT?? 😯

You cannot be serious…you just needed to look at her before you look at the stats! Plus she died, from God knows what, but it was mooted that it was drug related. Compare all those bulked up runners, her, Ben Johnson, Linford lunchbox….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Why do Flo Jo's records still stand?’ is closed to new replies.