Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Why do designer do mongrels cost so much?
  • iolo
    Free Member

I saw a Labradoodle pup for sale at offers over £1500 in the local paper.
    My dog was from the city pound in Cardiff, a mixture of God knows what but there was a bit of Lab in him.
    He was a donation of £50 to the pound.
    Why are people paying such crazy prices for cool breed cross breeds?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Because they’re mugs!

Drac

£1500 😯

They go for about £350 up here.

jimjam
    Free Member

iolo
    Why are people paying such crazy prices for cool breed cross breeds?

Because if you overcharge by a big enough margin, a certain group of gullible twunts will crave whatever it is you’re selling. Even if it’s shit dogs riddled by genetic diseases.

Ambrose

My Bollie was free when a mate’s collie got jiggy with his girlfriend’s Beagle.

scaredypants

Yeh, you need a cuddly name for the cross and then you’re off !

Maybe yours is a rambinagger – random combination shagger 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m going to cross a Cocker Spaniel with a Mastiff. I call it a Cockstiff. Then I’m gonna cross a Borzoi with a Shitzu. I call it a Borshit.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

what RaveyDavey said.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Next thing will be cross bred designer breeds. Cockerpoolabradoodle anyone? Got litter of 8 a snip at £3000 each jabbed and wormed available for little chardonnay in time for xmas

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Because if you overcharge by a big enough margin, a certain group of gullible twunts will crave whatever it is you’re selling. Even if it’s shit dogs riddled by genetic diseases.

Except those genetic diseases tend to disappear when you mix up the genes.
    If some pillock wants to pay £1000+ for a mongrel that’s up to them. At least it should be healthier than a pedigree.
    Shagging a poodle is the best decision a Labrador can make for it’s kids.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I want to breed a Cockerpoo with a shih tzu and have a Cockerpoodle Tzu. I’d be minted.

GrahamS

We always told people our old dog was “a pedigree Bitzer”.

“Bitzer-this and Bitzer-that” 😆

(She was a street mutt that we adopted. And we couldn’t have wished for a nicer dog)

chip
    Free Member

I have a jackshit and he was free to a good home from preloved.

woffle
    Free Member

I think a big thing is aesthetics + hypoallergenic. My wife and youngest are allergic to dogs with asthma and a visit to relatives or friends with dogs, even with judicious use of antihistamines could reduce both to wheezing wrecks.

I think it used to be the general perception that the options are poodles or bichon frise – whilst no offence to either breed but they both have a certain ‘look’ – they’re also the two most noted breeds that are non-shedding, and relatively dander-free. Down our way certainly, *-doodles etc are broadly sold as exactly that – we know of two families in immediate friendship circles who bought variations on labs / cockers and poodles because they were sold as non-shedding, non-smelly (!), ‘non-allergic’ and family friendly ‘breeds’ that don’t look exactly like a poodle. Both were at a premium price (which then in turn encourages puppy-farming and so on…)

Both dogs inevitably do shed and do smell.

We bought a Bedlington. He was a happy accident between a pedigree crufts-shown bitch, and an ancient 17yr old working Bedlington who the owners thought was long past it. The breeder was so mortified that she sold him (and his brothers) off cheap as she couldn’t put a full set of papers with them. I think we paid about £100.

He’s non-shedding, hasn’t triggered the girls asthma, is completely daft as a brush though, with a fondness for rolling in whatever crap he can find, he’s not especially fragrant

MrsToast
    Free Member

Our dog, Benny, is half Tibetan Terrier, half cocker spaniel. The only reason we know this is because we had him DNA tested – we got him as a stray from the Dogs Trust. He looks a lot like a cockerpoo though, gets mistaken for one all the time.

We call him a Tibetan cock – there’s a bit of a trend in America of crossing Tibbies with American cocker spaniels (they call them ‘Kobetans’), but it doesn’t seem to be a thing in Britain with English cockers. He’s a lovely dog – hypoallergenic, cute as hell, but with the inquisitiveness and stubbornness of a TT and the craziness and greed of a cocker. Sweet, good natured with children, people and other dogs, but slightly bonkers. Non-shedding, doesn’t smell (but does require regular washing/grooming because of his hair).

Best £80 we ever spent!

GrahamS

My wife and youngest are allergic to dogs with asthma

Bit of an odd allergy. I didn’t even know that dogs got asthma.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Ive got a labradoodle, we got him off some woman in the park for £250. I keep getting asked for him to stud, (you can make a fortune these people tell me) but he’s got no bollocks. . I agree through there’s more than enough mugs to sustain 1000+ prices for a mongrel and they are fashionable especially round here. I go to Bushey park and there are dozens of things crossed with poodles.

Nevertheless he is an amazing dog and very very healthy, he doesn’t shed either.

duncancallum

Just go get a rescue. There are so many dogs that just need a home. I’d never buy a dog. And not just cos I am a tight arse

ampthill

Ambrose

Firstly is that the official name for that cross

Secondly I would love a photo

My daughter is obsessed with this cross. We look after other peoples dis and a few months back we thought we might be responsible for this cross. She was disappointed that we weren’t as she thought we would be morally obliged to look after one.

My wife and daughterthought the cross would be called a coggle

anagallis_arvensis

Funny because you would struggle to spend more than 200 quid on a lurcher the original designer cross breeds.

donncha

There seems to a difference between an ‘Australian’ labradoodle and just a cross.
    There is a move to establish the Austrailan labradoodles as a breed and breeders neuter all the puppies at 6 weeks to keep the price up.

Australian Vs Original Labradoodles

perthmtb
    Free Member

It always amuses me when this one comes up, but even more so on a bike forum where people think nothing of paying two grand for a bike, but are outraged to pay that for a living animal that’s going to be part of their family for the next fifteen years!

Sure you can get a very lovable mut from the pound or from a mate, but it’s a bit of a lottery. For every story of a cute healthy good natured dog that was bought for fifty quid, I can tell you one of a family who had to give up a dog because it was uncontrollable, had health problems, or just couldn’t be trusted with the kids.

Choosing a dog from a breeder just takes the chance out of it. You can select exactly the traits you want (at least as far as is possible with a living thing), like size (my wife couldn’t handle a large dog), non-shedding and non-allergenic (my daughter has allergies), and temperament. Sure there’s no guarantee, but behaviour and temperament are also a genetic trait – that’s what a thousand years of selective breeding of dogs (and other animals) has taught us.

By going to a breeder I got to choose from about 30 different puppies over five different litters, could meet all the mums & dads (and that’s ultimately what made us choose the one we did), had visiting rights from the day it was born until we took it home, it was fully vaccinated, vet checked, microchipped, de-sexed, registered, came with full genetic profile (so we knew it didn’t have any of those in-bred faults), and a guarantee to cover vet bills for any genetic problems that subsequently surfaced. For me, all that was worth the price we paid. Anyway, the purchase price of a dog is small when compared against the lifetime cost of ownership – which is the same whether you have a mut or a pedigree. So why scrimp at the beginning where it makes a big difference?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against anyone getting a rescue/pet shop/mates dog – and we always had RSPCA dogs while growing up. Some of them were great dogs, but some of them weren’t, so when it came time for choosing an addition to my own family, I wanted to take the chance out of it as much as possible. And honestly, when I’ve got three bikes in the shed worth a couple of grand each, spending the same on a family pet is perfectly justifiable 🙂

Oh, and its an Australian Labradoodle.

donncha

Can we get pics Perth?

perthmtb
    Free Member

I let my Imageshack account lapse when they wanted to start charging me, so don’t have a way of posting images on the web anymore, sorry! But there’s lots of pics of similar dogs on the breeder’s site Off the Edge Labradoodles

Drac

I let my Imageshack account lapse when they wanted to start charging me, so don’t have a way of posting images on the web anymore

http://imgur.com

It’s free leaving more money for expensive dogs and bikes. 😀

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ha, yes I saw the irony in it as soon as I hit the submit button 😆

Thanks for the link, here you go…

iolo
    Free Member

I’m not saying trendy mongrels are always a bad thing. I’ve never had a pedigree.
    What I don’t get is some of the ridiculous price some go for.

Drac

Insane isn’t it.

😛

5thElefant
    Free Member

Good name.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yeah, but I don’t half feel a plonker standing in the park shouting “L 2110” 😛

I’m in Oz, all dogs have to have licence disk and microchip – what are the rules in the UK now?

anagallis_arvensis

story of a cute healthy good natured dog that was bought for fifty quid, I can tell you one of a family who had to give up a dog because it was uncontrollable, had health problems, or just couldn’t be trusted with the kids.

Choosing a dog from a breeder just takes the chance out of it. You can select exactly the traits you want (at least as far as is possible with a living thing), like size (my wife couldn’t handle a large dog), non-shedding and non-allergenic (my daughter has allergies), and temperament. Sure there’s no guarantee, but behaviour and temperament are also a genetic trait – that’s what a thousand years of selective breeding of dogs (and other animals) has taught us.

there is so much wrong with all this I dont know where to start.

tomd
    Free Member

The neighbours have a got a border collie / spaniel (A Spacollie?) cross that they got free from the SSPCA. It’s shaped like a spaniel but coloured like a border collie. It’s awesome, like a caricature of a dog and makes me smile pretty much every time I see it.

Edit: I will try and get a pic. The most sure fire way to get it to our door is to fry some kind of meat. The dog arrives within a split bawhair of the meat touching the hot frying pan. It’s “home” is about 50m and it somehows smells this through two sets of walls.

footflaps

I’m in Oz, all dogs have to have licence disk and microchip – what are the rules in the UK now?

All dangerous dogs have to have a small child’s arm hanging out of their jaw whilst running amok off the leash. That way you can tell they’re dangerous from a distance.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

By going to a breeder I got to choose from about 30 different puppies over five different litters, could meet all the mums & dads (and that’s ultimately what made us choose the one we did), had visiting r

5 litters to choose from at any one time?
    That’s not a breeder. That’s a puppy farm.
    It’s sad that you’ve chosen to go this way.

jamj1974

jimjam – Member
    I’m going to cross a Cocker Spaniel with a Mastiff. I call it a Cockstiff. Then I’m gonna cross a Borzoi with a Shitzu. I call it a Borshit.

I went to a zoo once.
    They only had one dog.
    It was a shitzu.

Ambrose

The whole designer mongrel thing is a bit annoying isn’t it? So I decided to invent a new breed to poke fun at it, hence my mongrel mut is now a much sought- after designer breed.

Ampthill, YGM.

scandal42
    Free Member

It always amuses me when this one comes up, but even more so on a bike forum where people think nothing of paying two grand for a bike, but are outraged to pay that for a living animal that’s going to be part of their family for the next fifteen years!

Sure you can get a very lovable mut from the pound or from a mate, but it’s a bit of a lottery. For every story of a cute healthy good natured dog that was bought for fifty quid, I can tell you one of a family who had to give up a dog because it was uncontrollable, had health problems, or just couldn’t be trusted with the kids.

By going to a breeder I got to choose from about 30 different puppies over five different litters, could meet all the mums & dads (and that’s ultimately what made us choose the one we did), had visiting rights from the day it was born until we took it home, it was fully vaccinated, vet checked, microchipped, de-sexed, registered, came with full genetic profile (so we knew it didn’t have any of those in-bred faults), and a guarantee to cover vet bills for any genetic problems that subsequently surfaced. For me, all that was worth the price we paid. Anyway, the purchase price of a dog is small when compared against the lifetime cost of ownership – which is the same whether you have a mut or a pedigree. So why scrimp at the beginning where it makes a big difference?

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against anyone getting a rescue/pet shop/mates dog – and we always had RSPCA dogs while growing up. Some of them were great dogs, but some of them weren’t, so when it came time for choosing an addition to my own family, I wanted to take the chance out of it as much as possible. And honestly, when I’ve got three bikes in the shed worth a couple of grand each, spending the same on a family pet is perfectly justifiable

Oh, and its an Australian Labradoodle.

Although you make some valid points it actually all just comes down to patience and taking time to get the correct dog from whichever source.

People go to rehoming centres shopping for dogs as though they are televisions, then they complain when the dog isn’t suitable for their needs, as with most issues with dogs it’s actually the stupidity of the human that is the issue.

The amount of bred dogs for sale throughout the UK is utterly hideous and unnecessary.

If people actually took their time and looked properly rather than thinking ‘now now now’ like they do about every other aspect of life these days, they could find a more than acceptable dog from the few thousand homeless ones that litter the hundreds of re-homing centers, you could even wait until just after Christmas 🙁

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Our dog is a rescue. He had a few issues with separation and had no idea how to walk on lead, but has a lovely nature and is great with monkfingerjnr.

Rescue places select and match the dogs they give you – maximum chance of (a) making you happy and (b) not having to rehome the same dog twice.

cyclelife
    Free Member

AFAIA all dogs are “crossbreeds”. We have had 4 springers and now have a working cocker x poodle = Cockerpoo, she is by far the best dog we’ve had, runs all day, plays with everyone then lies on your lap all night – brilliant, would not have bothered with the Springers if i’d known about these.

theotherjonv

we’ve got a cockerpoo, for the non-shedding / asthma side of things. I agree that the right amount of time has to be spent on choosing, both the breed and the dog itself.

We looked at several litters from various sources from private individuals through to ‘farms’ before settling on one from a hobby breeder, and for us it was an easy choice once we’d seen the litter and the parents. Harder was to walk away from other litters that were available sooner, because all puppies are gorgeous, when there was something about the parents or setup that we weren’t happy with. We could have chosen cheaper but as said, over her expected lifetime the ‘extra’ isn’t that substantial.

She’s 18 months now and i don’t regret a single day of the choice made. Well, maybe a couple, like when she was a puppy and ate the corner off the wall in the dining room. Or decided that digging bloody great holes in the garden was fun. But i let her off in the end.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Why do designer do mongrels cost so much?’ is closed to new replies.