Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why do carbon frames have the shortest warranty period?
  • martinxyz
    Free Member

aracer
    Free Member

Do they?

martinxyz
    Free Member

usually.

speaker2animals

When I bought my Cannondale CAAD 3 MTB in 1995 it didn't have a very long warranty for the frame and there was a warning about checking it regularly. I binned it last year as the bottom bracket was knackered and frozen in. As was the seatpost. I'm not a hard core tough nut rider but that bike did a lot of miles.

The manufacturers are just covering themselves. No one offers a warranty longer than they think it will last for it's intended use. That frame was very light for it's day (you could flex the downtube with your fingers like a coke can).

Do all cf frames have short warranties? If it was an ultra light XC race bike it wouldn't surprise me. Something like a CF Spesh Enduro though may well have a longer frame warranty.

mocha
    Free Member

Trek have a lifetime warranty.

peteimpreza

My carbon Cannondale has a lifetime warranty to he original owner.

Whyte1
    Free Member

No is your answer as Whyte have a life time warrenty

aracer
    Free Member

usually.

It would appear not.

martinxyz
    Free Member

1961,most of the big players have lifetime but theres some out there that will have less than their alu frames. some others offer trade ups to newer or revised versions instead of the usual warranty they offer on the alu hardtails.

martinxyz
    Free Member

"It would appear not"

nah,its swings and roundabouts.

fontmoss
    Free Member

depends on manufacturer i thought? i thought cotic and singular off a shorter warranty than say fisher do on all their frames (lifetime inc carbon)

martinxyz
    Free Member

It does seem to be the other way around.although some brands dont like to state anything in their websites.others do,and theres ones that are a bit vague.

Northwind

Why do english-made Oranges have shorter warranties than Taiwanese-made Oranges?

martinxyz
    Free Member

where did you read that?

Heres what one company wrote in their warranty section:

"Crash replacement program – because enough people do lay down their carbon bikes in a variety of ways (racing,driving into garages with the bike on the car,others…) that would not be covered under the warranty policy"

I like that one. If i crashed one of their bikes i would probably tell them over the phone that i laid it down during a race.on second thoughts, i wouldnt want a silly phone bill so i would probably opt for the just riding along story. :O)

sputnik
    Free Member

Because you go so much faster on them, the chances are that your frame will outlive you..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why do carbon frames have the shortest warranty period?’ is closed to new replies.