Why do car sellers write lady owner ot owned by a doctor ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Why do car sellers write lady owner ot owned by a doctor ?
  • Does it make it a better car if a doctor owned it ? Is a lady driver not as likely to thrash the car etc…

Bout time sellers stopped writing these statements it makes no difference who or what has owned/driven the car…

I for one wont be fooled by trickery of this type !

Premier Icon Pook
    Subscriber

You look happy in your current car. Why are you looking for another?

hora

Trader rule of selling a car- if there is nothing positive at all about the car or the history is ‘lacking’ – find absolutely anything at all to make it seem more attractive.

‘2004 car – one Lady owner since 2006’
    ‘Will come with a fresh service’
    ‘Last serviced in March by ourselves’
    ‘Previously sold by ourselves’
    ‘Owned by the same family since 2002’

Any of the above I skip to the next as a multiple/fully serviced (MAINTAINED) car has this detailed.

A quirk- not so long ago I was looking at circa 2010 Ford Focus’s and all traders locally said ‘FSH’ – called and asked ‘the history hasn’t been sent onto us yet but I can assure you it has a full service history’. The third time I heard that in the same day I put a deposit on a Subaru.

munrobiker

My wife is far crueller to cars than I am- mean to clutches, bumps them without ever noticing, doesn’t change up at the right time. All the damage to my car (a scratch and a kerbed alloy) was caused by her.

cozz

i once went tot look at a car – lady owner, genuine

opened bonnet, pulled out dipstick, top bit was there, rest was missing

I said “wheres the rest of this?”

Oh I don’t know she said

“when did you last check the oil” – blank expression

that’s it, I walked away

Hora- yeah, we’d seen a nice Passat estate last year, main dealer, 2 years old allegedly FSH.

Went to see it, test drove- v nice.

Asked to inspect the S/H- “yes, we’re waiting on that coming to us”.

Me: “When?”
    Him: “Oh, any day now”.
    Me: “Tell you what, when it arrives, ring me.”

Cue them ringing a couple of days later- are you still interested? Me: have you got the S/H documents? Him: no, not yet- but we assure you etc”.

Walked away of course. Funny thing was it was on for full book, no reduction for an unproven S/H.

brakes

my Mum’s car is “one lady driver from new, full service history”
    I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole – she only uses gears 1, 2 and 5, races lorries in it, hits inanimate objects with abandon and the alloys must be a 1cm narrower than when they were new due to the abuse and refurbs they’ve had.

RaveyDavey

1 lady owner = needs new clutch

mudshark

It’s sexist – there should be laws about this sort of thing.

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

I’d never buy a car off my Mother..

You lot, if you see my Mother selling a car steer well away form it. 😆

dooosuk

Can we have a picture of your mum then? Just so we know who to avoid.

mudshark

She looks like an older, more feminine version of bikebouy – if you can imagine such a thing.

vickypea

Ha ha, my car is 9 years old, one lady owner from new and full service history, plus…. Interior full of mud stains and scratches from hauling my MTB in and out, and lots of minor scrapes and scratches on the outside, not sure how they got there! 😛

vickypea

I’m not brakes’ mum though- I use all 5 gears!

Oggles

Ugh. A model of perfect driving? I once encountered a female motorist texting and behaving pretty erratically on the commute…
    Tapped on the window. She pointed at the stethoscope round her neck and said ‘It’s OK, I’m a doctor’

😐

trail_rat

doctors cars – worse nick than farmers cars generally.

and usually filthy to boot.

66deg

My mother goes through a clutch every 18 months constantly scrapes all 4 corners ,drives with dashboard warning lights on (when i suggested this was not such a good idea i’m curtly told well it was still going).
    More than once the garage have told her it’s not fit to be on the road ,milage is still under 40k. Radio is always tuned to radio 4 and must not be touched otherwise she will never find it again , no matter how may times we go over what the symbols on buttons mean six months later she has no idea .
    Oh and she once tried to insert a cassette that was still in it’s box.
    She has never driven on a motorway so when lost one dark night she turned onto the M6 slip road by accident realized did a u turn and went back.
    She passed her driving test in London on coronation day and did not see another moving vehicle for the whole test.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

I shall not talk about stereotypes but merely about my wife. I would not buy a car from her. Just no. Hers is revved to the red line from cold, it only does 2 or 3 mile journey’s so never get properly warm, she brakes hard and ignores any questionable noises. She ignores 3rd gear completely so when accelerating the engine goes from spinning very quickly to labouring under load. And she has no spacial awareness so wheels, wings and bumpers are scratched to hell.

Unrelated, anyone want to buy a Nissan Micra, one lady owner…? 😉

I’m a Doctor. Don’t buy my car. Scratches, small dents from country lanes. Stop-start driving. Tons of salt on the underside. And we do have higehr than average collision rate. 😉

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Does it make it a better car if a doctor owned it ? Is a lady driver not as likely to thrash the car etc…

Its not an assurance as to how the car has been driven or maintained – its a fetish thing. People will pay a premium for a car that has been previously owned by a lady or a doctor in the same way that they’ll pay extra for their pre-worn underwear. I’m waiting for Stoatsbrothers salty car to come on the market so that it can join my collection of his salty underwear that used to adorn his salty underside.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

vickypea – Member
    I’m not brakes’ mum though- I use all 5 gears!

Like Eric Morcambe’s piano playing? You are using all the right gears but possibly not in the right order 🙂

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

My car was previously owned by an elderly chap, which sounds good on paper. I think he’d gone completely blind, going by the state of the bodywork.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

Aside from the obvious allure of sniffing a salty undercarriage, I’ve never understood the appeal of the ‘celebrity’ cars on Autotrader and such-like.

They go for daft money. Even for the most avid (and if that’s your bag then fine) super-fan, WHY?!

“Nice M3 that, fella”
    “Thanks, you’ll never guess what?”
    “What’s that?”
    “It used to belong to Stephen Hendry! I know, amazing eh?!”
    “Oh, um, really?”
    “See? That’s where he used to rest his cue”
    “Uh-uh”
    “And look! Look! You see the glovebox? That’s got one of his balls in it.”
    “Very nice. How much was it?”
    “Only £32k!”
    “But it’s 8 years old”
    “STEPHEN ******** HENDRY!!!”

legolam

As a female doctor, I would concur with all the stereotypes above. I wouldn’t go near a car that’s been owned by me – excessive mileage, bumps in hospital car parks, “enthusiastically” driven, dashboard warning lights ignored, tyres bald, only just found out what a timing belt is (at 110k miles on the current car…) etc

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

bearnecessities – Member

Aside from the obvious allure of sniffing a salty undercarriage, I’ve never understood the appeal of the ‘celebrity’ cars on Autotrader and such-like.

I really like this with bikes. Every GT on Pinkbike is ex-atherton, even if it’s a mid-2000s Idrive. And the number of pink mtbcut Oranges- “Ex Ben Cathro”, “Ex Joe Barnes”. Yeah we know, that’s why we’re not buying them, Cathro’ll have smashed his to bits and Joe’ll have ridden it 24/7.

hora

Codybrennan. Yep these cars werealso full dealer book/price. Adds to the deception- I bet the line ‘be assured sir we’ll send the book on’. Then hope you forget till PX time. I also bet they dont promise to send the SH on in writing anywhere..

JulianA

Rubber_Buccaneer beat me to it!

Sorry vickypea…!

Some women seem to use the clutch as an intermediate ‘automatic’ gear…

vickypea

I’m good with gears! 😛

I treat my car like an MTB, I expect it to stand up to minor altercations with fences, branches, kerbs, and the like!

hora

In Hampstead Heath outside a cafe I sat and watched a middled aged man in a brand new Golf use my old 53reg Forester as a gauge to park. It rode up on its springs hard. He gave up. Got out observed his work and walked off. Mrshora stared at me thinking ‘when..’. I was too gobsmacked.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

My mate Ged’s mum would only turn left. 😀

Usually quicker to walk, tbh.

thomthumb

In Hampstead Heath outside a cafe

looking for badgers? eh?

The one thing that would always put me off buying a second hand car is the statement ” first to see will buy ” in fact I often feel like going round and looking at it and refusing to buy it on principle . I am a sad pathetic little man 😀

waihiboy

there are two phrases you see on autotrader etc which boil my blood..

“first to see will buy” – how the **** do you know, have a crystal ball?!!!

“in the best colour” – yes in your eyes, but not mine

there was a classic on ebay the other week a guy trying to sell a vw transporter, good add then att eh bottom he put something along the lines of

“i WILL NOT take anything less than price given, do not turn up and expect the pirce to drop”

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

The one where I went to see a van that was described as perfect interior in the back, turned out looked like it had been used to transport barbed wide.

Subscriber

In Hampstead Heath outside a cafe I sat and watched a middled aged man

Hangs around Hamstead Heath, in-attentive driver. Who could that be I wonder?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

waihiboy – Member

there was a classic on ebay the other week a guy trying to sell a vw transporter, good add then att eh bottom he put something along the lines of

“i WILL NOT take anything less than price given, do not turn up and expect the pirce to drop”

Pretty reasonable tbh, I was selling my old Focus for a grand, which was a competitive price, probably a little under the average as I wanted it gone. First person to see it offered £500, next person £600. So everyone else that called got told don’t piss about. You’re not losing sales this way, you’re losing timewasters.

Equally buyers who say “what’s the least you’ll take”. No that’s your job, I’m trying to find out the most you’ll pay not the least.

martinxyz

A quirk- not so long ago I was looking at circa 2010 Ford Focus’s and all traders locally said ‘FSH’ – called and asked ‘the history hasn’t been sent onto us yet but I can assure you it has a full service history’. The third time I heard that in the same day I put a deposit on a Subaru.

I remember calling up a local garage about a car and asked if it had FSH with receipts to go with the stamps. He laughed down the phone and said something like ‘I think the stamps alone are adequate enough’.

At that point I moved on too and bought something else.

martinxyz

I remember calling up a local garage about a car and asked if it had FSH with receipts to go with the stamps. He laughed down the phone and said something like ‘I think the stamps alone are adequate enough’.

At that point I moved on and bought something else.

waihiboy

Pretty reasonable tbh, I was selling my old Focus for a grand, which was a competitive price, probably a little under the average as I wanted it gone. First person to see it offered £500, next person £600. So everyone else that called got told don’t piss about. You’re not losing sales this way, you’re losing timewasters.

i can see your point aswell, but i just thought the guy wasnt doing himself any favours as its be relisted twice with no bids.

Subscriber

i can see your point aswell, but i just thought the guy wasnt doing himself any favours as its be relisted twice with no bids.

Wait a minute – so was this an auction rather than a classified ad?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Why do car sellers write lady owner ot owned by a doctor ?’ is closed to new replies.