Why do car manufacturers sometimes make bikes?

Home Forum Bike Forum Why do car manufacturers sometimes make bikes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Why do car manufacturers sometimes make bikes?
  • Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

Why do people in the city need a 4×4?

Mackem

Why do fools fall in love?

jimc101

if you want a BMC Lamborghini, just pop down to your local Lamborghini dealer (with €25,000) and you can pick one up from them, you don’t need to buy a car with one.

Premier Icon righog
    Subscriber

Because they can ( would you not ? )

shermer75

What’s it all about, eh? Seriously- you never see them for sale anywhere. Are they sold in car dealerships? If so, who goes to buy a car and cones home with a bike?!? I don’t get it!

antigee

its all a bit confusing after all BMC designed the Maxi and that was notorious for being crap and the gear cables stretching…. and I’ve never understood NASA selling their branded products through Halfords, though I guess the vacant stare you sometimes get has something to do with space

rogg

And are they ever any good?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

The BMC Lamborghini, the Colnago Ferrari and the Factor Aston Martin are all good bikes, if completely mental in the case of the Factor. BMW and Porsche have tried several times, Hummer had a go. They were all shit.

bencooper

It’s a marketing thing. Cars are bad and smelly and get stuck in traffic jams, bikes are cool and funky and ridden by fit people.

But people want to buy cars not bikes.

So car manufacturers make a bike to get people to think “hey, this is a cool and funky and environmentally-friendly company – let’s buy a SUV from them”.

There’s also an element of “this company makes cars, which are difficult to make – push bikes are easy to make so theirs must be fantastic”.

wobbliscott

Because fools and their money are easily parted. They’re trying to cash in on all the MAMILS with cash who are buying posh cars by trying to sell them an overpriced bike too. There is also a positive association with the technology of modern bikes and cars which the manufacturers want to make a link with. Also some people are sad – if they’ve got a Ferrari they want a Ferrari cap, sunglasses, jacket, ballpoint pen made from braided brake hose, a wall clock made from a Ferrari brake disk. Porsche even make a Porsche branded sledge and from that Top Gear episode, a Porsche branded smoking pipe.

Edric 64

Peugeot used to make some nice bikes

Premier Icon peteimpreza
    Subscriber

Peugeot were making bikes long before the car came along, since 1810.

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Land Rover do/did a load of BSOs, overpriced if not completely hopeless. They at least went for the <£500 end of the market, not the >£5k.

The problem with the ones I’ve seen is that car manufacturers think they can apply their ‘automotive engineering’ or whatever to a bike. Then forget how much things like weight matter. We had a Porsche FS bike in once, it weighed over 40lbs. Big yellow thing with huge triple clamp forks and tri spoke wheels. But totally inappropriate for anything other than XC. Probably 15 years old now.

chip

My LBS sells Land Rover mtbs.
    Whether they are any good or not I do not know as I have only caught a glimpse while walking in.
    Although bearing that name you would hope so.

My first MTB was a Peugeot. They make pepper mills too!

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Although bearing that name you would hope so.

They’re a lot more expensive than an equivalent Trek/Spesh, let alone Boardman etc. paying for the name.

bencooper

Peugeot were making bikes long before the car came along, since 1810.

Kirkpatrick MacMillan only invented the pedal bicycle in 1835 – but yes, Peugeot were making bikes long before they made cars. As did Humber, Triumph, etc. Many companies started off making bicycles and moved into motorbikes and cars.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

My first road bike was a Peugeot.

Let’s hope more bike manufactuers don’t follow them into making motor vehicles. Imagine what an Orange car would look like…

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Land Rover do/did a load of BSOs, overpriced if not completely hopeless. They at least went for the <£500 end of the market, not the >£5k.

I rode one of their first offerings. Decent enough, but as you say you didn’t get a lot for the money (ISTR it being rather heavy, even for a <£500 bike).

shermer75

I’ve also owned a Peugeot, a 10 speed road bike in the eighties. Tbh they weren’t really the kind of thing I had in mind- I was thinking of Porsche and Mercedes. The only time I’ve seen one of those out on the trails was at Coed y Brenin and the guy looked very self conscious and defensive!

elliott-20

Sometimes they have nothing to do with the manufacturer and just lease the name and then sell them through the relevant channels.

KTM, for example, have no connection at all with the motorcycle brand.

shermer75

9.5kg, no lightweight!

shermer75

So, it’s a marketing exercise, right? Does that mean motorists look up to and admire cyclists? I thought they hated us!! (all the usual caveats regarding generalising apply)

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

It’s got a mental amount of computing and analysis stuff on it though, accelerometers and all sorts – does full on F1 telemetry.

Premier Icon bearnecessities
    Subscriber

EDIT: already mentioned ^

One-77 Cycle Electronics
    Channel List

Crank Force Left
    Crank Force Right
    Crank Torque Left
    Crank Torque Right
    Crank Position
    Crank Angular Velocity
    Crank Cadence
    Average Crank Cadence
    Maximum Crank Cadence
    Total Power
    Average Power Per Revolution
    Left Leg Power
    Right Leg Power
    Maximum Left Leg Power
    Maximum Right Leg Power
    Average Left Leg Power
    Average Right Leg Power
    Interval Number
    Interval Type (Time / Distance)
    Interval Size
    Interval Target 1
    Interval Target 1 Delta
    Target Parameter Type 1
    Interval Target 2
    Interval Target 2 Delta
    Target Parameter Type 2
    Interval Average speed
    GPS Locked
    GPS Number of Satellites
    GPS Speed
    GPS Altitude
    GPS Latitude
    GPS Longitude
    GPS Heading
    GPS UTC
    Time
    Time zone offset
    Acceleration X
    Acceleration Y
    Acceleration Z
    Left Useful Power
    Left Wasted Power
    Right Useful Power
    Right Wasted Power
    Atmospheric Press
    Altitude
    Maximum Altitude
    Minimum Altitude
    Rate of Ascent
    Rate of Descent
    Humidity
    Temperature Ambient
    Event Marker
    Rear Wheel Speed
    Maximum Speed
    Average Speed
    Trip time
    Trip Distance
    Total Distance
    Heart Rate Via ANT+ Device
    Minimum Heart Rate
    Maximum Heart Rate
    Left Crank Data Packet Counter
    Right Crank Data Packet Counter
    Left Crank State of Charge
    Right Crank State of Charge
    Left Crank Serial Number
    Right Crank Serial Number
    Heart Rate Packet Indicator
    System Battery Voltage
    System Current Consumption
    Crank length
    Tyre Diameter

shermer75

Yep, £25,000, you’d of thought it’ll do something pretty special. I’d love to meet someone who buys one!

bencooper

So, it’s a marketing exercise, right? Does that mean motorists look up to and admire cyclists? I thought they hated us!! (all the usual caveats regarding generalising apply)

Cyclists on roads = bad

Cyclists taking their bikes by car to a canal path = good

They’re an accessory to attach to your car to show you’re a sporting adventurous type – like those sparkling Land Rovers with full roll cage and snorkel that have never had a whiff of mud.

spazzolino

Wobliscott, has nailed some of the reasons in particular this one:

There is also a positive association with the technology of modern bikes and cars which the manufacturers want to make a link with.

It is about customer perception and improving brand image. Cars today are synonymous with pollution and making some bikes “greens” up their image a little.

shermer75

Do you think that Aston Martin owners go to sleep at night dreaming that one day they’ll get to be a cyclist?

shermer75

spazzolino and Wobbliscott I see your point. It’s cashing in in the the prestige of things like the Tour de France rather than a serious attempt at making money out of selling bikes, hey?

shermer75

I feel used 🙁

spazzolino

Its certainly not a direct attempt to make money. But improving brand perception should pay in the long term.

But why do you feel used? need to share something?

shermer75

Haha! I feel used because they are using the superiority of cycling to sell their crappy products

jackal

chakaping – Member
    My first road bike was a Peugeot.

Let’s hope more bike manufactuers don’t follow them into making motor vehicles. Imagine what an Orange car would look like…

I think your image link is playing up, it’s just showing a picture of an Orange 5…..

Macavity

Look’s attempt at a car

belugabob

Given the relatively small quantities that they sell, I’d be very surprised if many of the car manufacturers actually make bikes themselves.It’s more likely that they’re simply badged up bikes in most cases – with the possible exception of Aston Martin & Lamborghini who probably have a lot of input on the design stages.

People who buy BMW bikes are just doing so in order to have two vehicles without functioning indicators 😉

billytinkle

A few seem to be making some interesting ebikes. Audi have their amazing, but costly concept. Ford have been making concepts too. Smart are already selling theirs with as much backing as their cars.

I’m not sure if European emission targets for vehicle sales in future years will lead car manufacturers to making mass produced ebikes for the masses, but if Audi could make theirs for a decent price I’d be interested, even if it meant passing a motorbike test.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Why do car manufacturers sometimes make bikes?’ is closed to new replies.