Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • Why do almost all "mountainbikers" wear gloves to ride?
  • messiah
    Free Member

My local forest has heaps of this…

I don’t really enjoy pulling tiny thorns from my fingers.

stevede
    Free Member

Lol at bedmaker, even bigger lol at the people who thought he was being serious!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Grip-comfort-protection, in that order. Oh and it’s usually wet or cold!

binners

Yes! many many many times. I tend to Tuck n roll mainly, what’s your point?

the whole point of rolling is that no one part of the body breaks the fall rather than stopping dead and being badly injured.

Sorry, but I just don’t think that if you go over the bars properly, when you’re absolutely flat out downhill that you’ll roll. That takes thought. And you’ve no time for that. Instinct takes over at that speed, whether you like it or not, and you stick you’re hands out. Its involuntary. It just happens.

I came off a couple of years ago. The worst accident I’ve had. My back wheel hooked up and stopped the bike virtually dead, when I reckon I was doing 25-30mph, flat out downhill. I landed on my face and the palm of my right hand on gravel. Made a right mess of myself!

In all honesty, I can’t see anyone else doing anything differently. Or getting a different result. You’re not going to have some thought-through choice about how you land.

Hence always wearing gloves (and helmets and elbow pads) IMHO you deserve everything you get if you’re not wearing the right kit.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t wear gloves unless it’s either so cold that my hands go numb within minutes (I have bad circulation which doesnt help) or so hot that the grips are slick with sweat. I hate wearing them, don’t like that feeling of material between my hand and the grip. It actually seems like less grip most of the time as the material seems to move around.. I’ve had this even with thin gloves.

Milkie
    Free Member

Fashion 😉

Nothing to do with protection, grip and stopping blisters.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Warmth a lot of the year.
    Also lots of nurses do wipe arses(for those that can’t wipe their own!), and for some years that and the other very hands on icky stuff was why I did what I could to keep my hands as intact as possible. I haven’t wiped a bum for a while now, but grazed/cut hands are still both problematic and Not A Good Look in my current niche of nursing.

As an aside, GW should make this sortb of thing a regular feature. I dunno, “GW’s friday pwn” or something. 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

stopping blisters.

I get more blisters with gloves as the material rubs and chafes.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Makes switching from cycling to strangling that bit quicker

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I do, mainly in case I fall off and land on my hands. I don’t find them so uncomfortable as to be a hindrance. Simple as that.

If you don’t want to, that’s fine with me. Just don’t whinge if you hurt yourself.

Anyone who makes choices due to what someone else thinks looks right or wrong, in a decision that has nothing to do with looks, is asking for even less sympathy.

BermBandit
    Free Member

3 main reasons in no particular order

1) Protection in falls and during riding

2) Padding around ulna nerve and carpal tunnel

3) Grip (you only need a sweaty hand to slip off your bars once to understand this one)

I believe that trumps looking cool.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

I’m a hand model, got to protect the commodities.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Grip, comfort and protection.

mattmbk
    Free Member

Tuck and roll….. genius.

emanuel
    Free Member

wipe sweat from my brow.
    colour coordinates with my outfit.

if you can’t go fast,at least look good going slow.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t wear them.

Mainly to show off my BMXing roots with the added benefit that I get a more even tan.

DezB
    Free Member

Do you know (and I’ve checked the thread and not seen this) that riding without gloves wears your grips down much quicker?
    Yes! I don’t wear gloves on my ss in the warmer weather (easier for using the fingers to whistle for the trailhound) and the grips go smooth really quickly.
    So wearing gloves saves money 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

Thorns, branches, gorse bushes etc. Putting hands out when falling. Putting hands out to stop falling and grabbing trees. I did a whole load of MTFU when I was skateboarding and after 6 or 7 years of grazed, cut and damaged hands, I’m over it.

BruceWee

Sorry, but I just don’t think that if you go over the bars properly, when you’re absolutely flat out downhill that you’ll roll. That takes thought. And you’ve no time for that. Instinct takes over at that speed, whether you like it or not, and you stick you’re hands out. Its involuntary. It just happens

For me I roll out of a crash no matter how fast I’m going. Some people naturally turn one side towards in a crash and some people naturally stick their hands out. As far as I can tell it doesn’t matter what speed you’re going.

It takes no thought for me, I probably couldn’t try to stop myself with my hands even if I wanted to.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

So, what made you buy your first pair of gloves for biking?

They went with the bike, same make, same colour looked good, it was part of getting the look . . .

have you ever ridden gloveless? how did you find it?

Once maybe, . .i was careful to not to hurt them . . . lol . . didn’t feel any vast difference in control

and why do you wear them now?

Protection from trail side and trail, but crash protection is next to useless for a big off

RobHilton
    Free Member

I wear full fingers on my road bike, which some people think is odd, but it I crash I’d like the best chance at preserving the skin on my pinkies

Maybe I should go for industrial gauntlets?

grum
    Free Member

Why do almost all “mountainbikers” wear gloves to ride?

Presumably because they’re not as awesome as you? That generally seems to be the main thrust of everything you post on here.

chiefgrooveguru

GW, are you too much of a lady to sweat? 😉

t-p26
    Free Member

I have asked non glove wearers why and they say “I cant wear gloves…”
    They dont see the humour when I ask if the reason for this is they have have webbed hands 😀

GW
    Free Member

So, when you crash, what part of your body tends to hit the ground first?

Depends on the sort of crash and the sort of terrain/surroundings.
    You can’t seriously expect one definitive answer?

I’ve crashed thousands of times

GW
    Free Member

GW, are you too much of a lady to sweat?

in all probability, yes!
    Do other men’s palms sweat a lot then?
    The fact I don’t wear gloves and rarely a helmet def means I sweat a lot less when biking.

GW
    Free Member

Sorry, but I just don’t think that if you go over the bars properly, when you’re absolutely flat out downhill that you’ll roll. That takes thought. And you’ve no time for that. Instinct takes over at that speed, whether you like it or not, and you stick you’re hands out. Its involuntary. It just happens

My instinct is to roll or slide out at high speed. oh.. and you do have time to think.. my personal reaction time is 0.2s – a fairly average time for most humans

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You can’t seriously expect one definitive answer?

Afraid so!

What tends to hit the ground first? For example: if you crash ten times, in six of them what was the first thing to break your fall before tucking and rolling?

If you’ve crashed thousands of times I assume you have a massive amount of experience to reach a conclusion with. 😉

GW
    Free Member

Do you know (and I’ve checked the thread and not seen this) that riding without gloves wears your grips down much quicker?

Yes, known this since I was a kid, IMO it’s a good thing as I also hate thick grips!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve crashed thousands of times

You must be a shit rider then.

GW
    Free Member

pimpmaster – tends to be the back of my right shoulder and back of right upper arm spreading the initial impact load (as much a glance as an impact)

What relevance does this have to whether I wear gloves or not?

GW
    Free Member

You must be a shit rider then.

I wouldn’t say shit, just not a complete pussy 😛

BruceWee

To all those people whose hands tend to be the first thing to hit the ground, how do you not have permanently broken wrists?

jam-bo

or collarbones.

RobHilton
    Free Member

^I’ve got permanently **** shoulders 🙂

Edit: And my collarbones aren’t in a good way…

tomtomthepipersson

To all those people whose hands tend to be the first thing to hit the ground, how do you not have permanently broken wrists?

By bending our elbows. In a similar way we often bend our knees when jumping and landing on our feet.

jameso

I’m with some of you on this rolling/tucking thing, used to do judo as a kid, not something I took seriously but I did seem to learn to roll/ break a fall, often you spot a landing and start to prepare before you’re really off. I’ve had loads of crashes that are often collarbone / wrist breakers but (luckily) so far haven’t done anything more than a sore shoulder and side a couple of times.
    As for gloves, did 10 days bikepacking mainly without them earlier this summer and it was great. Avoided the dreaded jazz-hands, grip was fine, comfort good, wore thin ones one really hot day with more tricky DH and on a rainy day. Not convinced they’re as needed as habit suggests, but having crashes on tarmac gloveless I do think thay’re a good thing.

GW
    Free Member

Far too much common sense there Tom. 😉

I still use my hands (and feet. funnily enough) to break my fall fairly often too, other than thorn cuts the last times I damaged my hands was with a saw then a door, last bike riding hand injury was actually caused by wearing gloves (I had to wear them) the glove caught on a branch ripping me clean off the bike taking the finger of the glove with it. (had I not been wearing gloves the branch would have just brushed past my hand giving me a scratch)

julianwilson
    Free Member

A most entertaining thread.

A couple of other observations: I didn’t notice any change for better or worse in my callus-ness when I started wearing gloves for riding (rather than for warmth) and they don’t really bother me. I have never got blisters or chafing from wearing gloves or indeed not wearing gloves.

GW, Do you also leave your helmet at home for fear of clotheslining yourself on an overhanging branch then? 😉

binners

Oh Dear Christ!!! We’re heading into TJ helmet debate territory

RUN AWAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Why do almost all "mountainbikers" wear gloves to ride?’ is closed to new replies.