Why didn't tubeless puncture seal?

Home Forum Bike Forum Why didn't tubeless puncture seal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why didn't tubeless puncture seal?
  • sgn23

I got a small (3mm) slash in my Mud X tubeless tyres yesterday and it would not seal, even with a good scoop of Stan’s gunk inside. Had to put a tube in instead. They’ve worked great all year until now.
    Any suggestions why they didn’t seal?

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

When did you last top them up? I didn’t top up for 4 months, got a flat and it had all dried up inside.

Garry_Lager

Don’t know, but it can happen IME. They don’t always seal – guess it depends where the puncture is. Anywhere near the bead can be troublesome.

I once put a 1″ gash in some UST tyres and to my suprise it sealed, using JRA wheel milk, although it does dry out pretty quickly so it’s more like running a very thin tube that can seal itself.

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

This has happened a couple of times in the 5 years I’ve been tubeless but I remembered a tip I was given some time ago

Take wheel out & hold it so the hole is at the lowest point of the tyre & put a finger lightly over it – not to stop air escaping but just to slow it down a bit. Worked for me both times.

neninja

Sometimes all the latex has been used up fixing porous tyres, punctures etc.
    It looks like there’s plenty of fluid but it’s just the liquid but with no latex granules left.

sgn23

The was still liquid inside, it just squirted out and wouldn’t solidify, maybe it was beacuse there was no latex in it. I tried putting a finger over it but no luck. I wonder if it was the temperature, it was about 6 degrees at the time.

Frankers

I have had this twice now, always in the winter at around 3-6deg

Premier Icon tomd
    Subscriber

This has happened to me a couple of time. For me the sealant was almost new so hadn’t dried out and still had plenty of the latext crumbs so it wasn’t that. I think it was to do with the tyre I was using in one case and the other it was the location. The tyre had pretty thin walls so even though the cut was small it opened up and wouldn’t seal very well. I got it to seal by letting the pressure down as low as could be riddena and gave it time to seal up. The other time it was close to the bead and wouldn’t seal because of the flex I guess.

because its all a lie, they dont work and make u cry!

flow

This is why it is more hassle than its worth.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I’ve Had a Similar problem once with a Speccy Captain tire (Probably alot thinner walled than your Bonty), it was more of a cut/slash (About 4-5mm long) than a nice round hole which I think must have an effect on the sealing. The tire was older and the sealant was maybe 3-4 months old and should have been topped up.

The sealant sort of still worked and it became a “Slow puncture” rather than an instant deflation job but I thought it better to bung a tube in for the ride I was about to go on, got it home, Cleaned it up and patched it properly, rode it tubeless for a few more months after that, the tire is still in the spares pile.

The thing with tubeless tires sealing up cuts and holes really is down to a few factors, the sealant you use and how old it is/how much you use, the construction of the tire – it’s resistantce to different types of damage and the geometry of the damage – a hole/cut/slash of full or partial depth…

Some tires are more resistant to holes and cuts than others – I’ve got an IRC Tamashi DH in the Garage which I believe could withstand sustained small arms fire, the trade off is that it weighs the same as the moon, fitting it to a bike and riding it could well cause a Tsunami in Kent I reckon…

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

Did you pour the liquid from the bottle with the bottle upside down when you were setting it up? Without the particles not much will happen I suspect. I would think it would fix a 3mm hole as it seals the hole in the bottle pourer when you try to pour it upside down!

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

This is why it is more hassle than its worth.

Because you wouldn’t have had to change the tube if you got a slash in the tyre when using tubes? 🙄

nmdbase

I had a very small slit in the side wall and that didn’t seal, complete pain in the ass. I blame that on paper thin nobby nic tyres though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why didn't tubeless puncture seal?’ is closed to new replies.