Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why didn’t I do this sooner?! (Tyre related content)
  • malv173
    Free Member

For the last ten years or so, I’ve been commuting on a Boardman Hybrid Comp (converted to singlespeed a few years back). It came with 32mm tyres, if I recall correctly. Following the advice of a colleague who was a very experienced roadie, I changed down to 25s when the time came to put fresh rubber on (about a year or so, I think), and I’ve stuck with that width until this week.

I’ve gone for 35mm Schwalbe G-Ones. Now running at around 50 PSI as opposed to 80-100 on the narrower tyres. I absolutely love it! The bike is so much more comfortable, and quieter! I really wish I’d done this ages ago, I’d read a few of the articles about wider tyres and lower pressures on road bikes, just didn’t take the plunge. Very, very happy that I did. It’s totally rekindled my love for a very basic bike!

tthew

Pure Roadies have some very old-fashioned ideas that are not likely to change. I can’t imagine why anyone not actually racing would ride 23-25mm tyres and race geometry on SHIT condition UK roads, but it’s common place in the club I ride with. My ‘best’ bike has 28’s on it, but that’s only because 32’s don’t go under the mudguards!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Wider tyres at lower pressures should give you more grip and comfort during the winter months, recently the leaf mulch is turning into a bit of a swamp on the back route lanes I use on the way home.

I’m currently using a 38mm Marathon Cross up front and a narrow 35mm Randonneur Pro on the rear, but come the spring I’ll be putting something narrower on at least the front for some aero gains. 😉

Off to work in just under an hour and I’m still pondering whether to swap out the front for one of my 38mm Gravdal 240-spike ice tyres, temp range around Southampton city centre is -1 to +1 Celcius, colder than last night’s forecasts.

matt_outandabout

Pure Some Roadies have some very old-fashioned ideas that are not likely to change

Indeed. My BiL will not see past super skinny tyres (because must be faster, even on commuter) racy geometry, caliper brakes (discs are apparently dangerous), huge gear ratio’s and lycra no matter the weather.

ampthill

The change will come as the science of bigger lower pressure tyres being faster in the real workd as well. I read an article where i think Zipp had done some research on this

malv173
    Free Member

I’ve been really impressed with how the bike feels. It seems to roll really nicely, much more so than I was expecting.

I don’t think I could go any wider, maybe 38s at a push, but I think I’ll stick with the 35s for a fair while. And thinking about it, my front wheel is only 17mm internal width, so don’t think I could go any wider really.

Next change is some compressionless cables for my BB7s!

ads678

Next change is some compressionless cables for my BB7s

Get a couple of these, I’ve been using them for a couple of years with some shimano calipers and they’re great.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-brake-cable-set-shimanosram-road

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I am running 45s (Conti Tour Ride) on my Arkose. It is like a sofa, all I hear is my cleats squeaking, and the grip seems good on the carpet of soggy leaves.

This is up from 35s on my previous bike.

malv173
    Free Member

@ads678 cheers! I reckon I will!

And @TroutWrestler, I can imagine it is comfy! Can’t really go any wider, but I converted the rear to tubeless the other day, so it’s a little more comfortable now. I may look into slightly wider rims at some point, so that I could possible go to 38s.

Who knows what the future holds?!

jkomo

I’ve gone down to 32’s, nothing posh some super cheap rigid Vittoria from PX, still extremely comfy for road im sticking with this, might just go light weight for summer.

spooky_b329

I think I’ll stick with the 35s for a fair while. And thinking about it, my front wheel is only 17mm internal width, so don’t think I could go any wider really.

My MTB came with 19mm ID Hope wheels. Rode it for several months with 2.4″ tubeless tyres with no issues. Upgrading to wider wheels improved handling but a mere 40mm tyre is half the width so I can’t imagine you’ll have problems with 38s on a 17mm rim.

trumpton
    Free Member

I got some new semi slicks but with tread for my mtb town bike.thier were loads of mushy leaves on my cycle path.my front completely washed out round a corner.managed to hold it.just got a knobbly tyre for the front now.nothing wrong with running bigger tyres.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why didn’t I do this sooner?! (Tyre related content)’ is closed to new replies.