Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Why cars are crap
  • dpfr

And how much damage does a bus do, or a 40-60 ton truck?

It’s actually forth power of the axle loading so they spread the weight over more axles. Still very hard on the road though

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Why did you compare the original Mini to a 4×4 that carries the Mini badge but little else to do with the original? Why not compare it to the base Mini? By deliberatly misleading to justify your point you make yourself look daft imo.

Does it not say Mini on the boot? In 50 years the word ‘mini’ has completely changed in meaning, because cars have ballooned and nobody has any idea how much their car weighs. That’s my point.

I look daft anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

In 50 years the word ‘mini’ has completely changed in meaning

It’s re-using a historical name on a completely different modern car. For some reason people are up in arms about this, no idea why.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

That’s the rubbish UK for you (though clearly you knew that already). Once took a tandem on a bus in France!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It’s re-using a historical name on a completely different modern car. For some reason people are up in arms about this, no idea why.

Ha. I guess nearly every car model (fiesta, corsa, 3 series, focus etc.) has got quite a bit heavier over the last few decades.

I just pick out BMW’s re-bollocksing of the word Mini as a particular crime against the lexicon.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course they have – that’s because of safety features. Get into any car from 20 years ago, and look at the size of the A and B pillars, and where they are. It’s actually a little bit unerving when you notice how flimsy they are.

Car names are re-used all the time. How similar do you think a modern Fiesta is to the old ones?

martymac

re: damage by buses or trucks,
    worth remembering that trucks carry goods for many people, not just one.
    buses carry up to 80 people, not just 5.
    out of town buses average around 9mpg with a maximum of 65 passengers. how many cars would be needed to match the passenger miles per gallon?
    (ive been up since 3am, cant do maths)

molgrips
    Free Member

That’d be 585mpg.

But they’re rarely full outside rush hour, but the journey patterns are also different. Each passenger does more miles for an equivalent journey by bus (usually) but most of the passenger’s journeys will overlap.. hmm..

martymac

yeah, i realise its not quite as cut and dried as pure mpg for a given journey.
    mainly though, cars are a lot more efficient when full of passengers, and weight of the car matters, and not just for fuel consumption.
    the above took 6 attempts to write.
    im tired.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If you loook at the above a small lightweight pedal / petrol hybrid car (I guess it has to have weather protection) would make the most sense for most commuters. If you limit a car to 30mph does it really need such a high level of crash protection? Clive Sinclair nearly had it right.

People seem to ignore the fact that most of a petrol engine is metal – and readily recycled. Battery cars are going to be bad news when they die (and how long will they last – my iPhone battery is quite poorly and it’s only 2 years old…)

A pedal powered bus would make sense in the city

molgrips
    Free Member

People seem to ignore the fact that most of a petrol engine is metal – and readily recycled. Battery cars are going to be bad news when they die

What makes you think batteries can’t be recycled?

and how long will they last – my iPhone battery is quite poorly and it’s only 2 years old

Car batteries are very different to iPhone batteries.

chestrockwell

Does it not say Mini on the boot? In 50 years the word ‘mini’ has completely changed in meaning, because cars have ballooned and nobody has any idea how much their car weighs. That’s my point.

It says Mini Countryman (or Paceman, or Clubman etc). The comparable car says Mini. 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

My car’s even more crap now some oaf in a transit has reversed into it. [not relevant i realise, just wanted a whinge]

ooOOoo
    Free Member

It says Mini Countryman (or Paceman, or Clubman etc). The comparable car says Mini.

OK chesty, I kind of see your point 😉 Tell me though, was there such a Mini as a Countryman in the 60s?

Whatevs, even the (new) normal Mini must weigh 2x what the original does. As an engineer, I really don’t know how them german engineers can live withemselves for that.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

My car’s even more crap now some oaf in a transit has reversed into it. [not relevant i realise, just wanted a whinge]

That’s a pretty crappy event 🙁

ooOOoo
    Free Member

How similar do you think a modern Fiesta is to the old ones?

Not very. So the owner still thinks “I’ve got a small car”. No you don’t – it’s quite a big car now.

I accept a lot of the safety stuff has made a big difference. My point is mainly about how everyone bitches about the damage to the roads, yet they’re probably accelerating that damage by driving heavier cars.

aracer
    Free Member

Yeah, but at least they didn’t create blind spots and hide the signs.

JulianA
    Free Member

My car is ace:

With car – JulianA earns money and has somewhere to live, can afford to eat, go on holiday, feed the cats etc
    Without car – JulianA earns no money and can do none of the above.

Nowhere to work within safe cycling distance = no money without car. And I don’t cycle any more anyway. And no, I don’t want to move. I love it here.

Cars work for me despite all the above.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you saying that if you lost your license you’d die?

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Why cars are crap’ is closed to new replies.