Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • why can’t we criticise religions or religious people without getting grief
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

you’re point would be?

You don’t like it when it’s done to you.

To give, you gotta take.

Atheists; they don’t like it up ’em!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My niece who is 7 goes to church every Sunday morning, and when I see her she occasionaly talks about what she has learnt at Sunday school, or what will happen if she is a naughty girl. Some of it scares me, some of it makes me just stand there is disbeleif.

Now some times my wife (who went to Catholic school, but like me has no religious beleif at all) will start asking her questions about why they have told her certain thing, or how it could be plausable, or does she beleive it. Imediately my niece’s mother will change the conversation or literally jab my wife in the ribs.

So apparantley it is ok for a child to be taught one biased way of life and one way of right and wrong, and to be allowed to challenge what she is being told, or for other people to offer alternative methods.

Oh and don’t ask about me about the Catholic church, Africa and condoms.

As an adult you can turn up to a religion, have a look, and see if you like it and move on if not. Child rely on adults to teach them, and certainly in my nieces situation she certainly isn’t getting both sides of the story…

alpin
    Free Member

we were having conversation on saturday and it turned to religion.

one guy saying he’d have to be there with his folks the next day (sunday) at church.

one guy that was present is chinese. he described communism being akin to religion. was a good point.

in days of old if you didn’t believe, and that is all it is – a belief, you didn’t get what or where you wanted in life. much like communism today.

he went on to say about one guy in his uni class who hadn’t finished his project, for which he had had 2 months to finish. when asked by his professor he said that he had less time as he went to church on sundays and took the rest of the day off.

this was considered a valid excuse.

there is a church in new mexico where the parishoners take peyote to help them ‘see’ god. anywhere else in the states this is illegal but as its use is for religious purposes its ok’d by the state. there is a lobby to help sufferers of MS use canabis, but they get nowhere.

why? why should religious beliefs be held above the needs of other peole?

why pray? you pray to god so that your wishes be fulfilled. but isn’t god’s will already decided? if so, why pray?

a woman was quoted as saying “god will help my daughter get better” after the earthquake in italy. didn’t god send the earthquake, as was his will…?

the whole thing is a scam.

and why should governments apologise to muslim communities after the whole printing of pictures of the cartoon mohammed? f@ck ’em.

americans would not vote for an atheist to be president. more likely to vote a jeew, black man or even a poof into office.

someone who takes into consideration what is written in a book about a man, or his teachings, is less likely to be, in my mind, of independant thought.

shit, i heard a story about some girl and three bears. must be true because my folks told me when i was real young and now i’ve read it.

infact. if we were to tell all children from a very young age that they must believe, must go to church at xmas and egg time, then they will believe. they are naive.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

and why should governments apologise to muslim communities after the whole printing of pictures of the cartoon mohammed? f@ck ’em.

americans would not vote for an atheist to be president. more likely to vote a jeew, black man or even a poof into office.

Hmm. Some mature views there, alpin… 🙄

I see where yer coming from, just the way you’ve presented your argument is a bit off-key.

But if you don’t consider that the government has an obligation to consider the feelings of all communities, then likewise, no-one need respect yours.

vinnyeh

someone who takes into consideration what is written in a book about a man, or his teachings, is less likely to be, in my mind, of independant thought.

And what does that say of someone who takes no consideration of ‘a book about a man’? I’d have considered that person to be less likely capable of thought and analysis.

Your diatribe does not read at all rationally, sonny.

kennyp
    Free Member

And someone who doesn’t read books (regardless of the subject) is, in my humble opinion, far more likely to be ignorant on a huge variety of topics. Sorry, poor argument that one I’m afraid. I’d say it’s always a good idea to read books or articles putting forward a viewpoint different from your own.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You don’t like it when it’s done to you.

To give, you gotta take.

eh? who said I was an atheist?
    ..and again, if you replied to my post what exactly was the point you were trying to make?

I apreciate you’re a bit on the dense side, but can you try making a bit of sense for a change?

JulianA
    Free Member

There are many things done in the name of a religion which would not be condoned by rational members of that religion. Extremists are to be found everywhere.

Speaking as a Christian, I find so-called Christian extremists at least as scary as any other extremists.

I don’t call any rational follower of any faith rude names and don’t like being insulted for my beliefs.

Why does any rational person feel the need to insult another person’s beliefs as long as those beliefs don’t harm anyone or incite harm against another?

El-bent
    Free Member

As an adult you can turn up to a religion, have a look, and see if you like it and move on if not. Child rely on adults to teach them, and certainly in my nieces situation she certainly isn’t getting both sides of the story…

Its how religion indoctrinates…get them while they are young and unquestioning.

So seem like the a win/win to me, the child will be highly educated and brought up in a very tolerant and peaceful environment and when he comes of age he can decide to live his life as he choses.

And this is a classic example. What life will the child chose? The unknown or the only one he has known and was chosen for him?

Obviously no parents amongst you, or else you have a misplaced sense of the absurd. Vomit inducing, really. You’re the one preaching hatred, not me.

Or perhaps we don’t want our Children to be brought up anywhere near Religion. The original post regarding Child abuse is over the top.

I thought I’d underline that line, coming from a Christian. 😆

El-bent
    Free Member

Why does any rational person feel the need to insult another person’s beliefs as long as those beliefs don’t harm anyone or incite harm against another?

Because the ultimate goal of these religions is to have everyone “under their wing” whether we like it or not.

alpin
    Free Member

not against reading, i’m all for it.

just not one particular set of books that tell us how we should live our lives according to a handful of authors.

i don’t consider those that hold deep religious beliefs to be of a rational mind.

i make no apologies for what i, or others say about religion. if god is that upset i’ll live for eternity in hell (very unlikely though) which i’m guessing is more fun than heaven.

AndyP
    Free Member

Because religious people can’t see that they are fruityloop, so they get angry when we try to tell them. Despite all that bollocks being about forgiveness, and all that. **** retards.

JulianA
    Free Member

Oh, and my background is Exclusive Brethren (left a long time ago). Now there’s an ideologically scary organistion.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m an agnostic but I really don’t see what is wrong with religious parents bringing up their children exactly how they want.

Most parents in the West tell their kids that Santa brings their Christmas presents etc. & the tooth fairy collects teeth that have fallen out – in most cases they simply allow the kids to figure it out for themselves when they’re a bit older.
    Kids aren’t stupid

AndyP
    Free Member

Kids aren’t stupid
    the fact that some people continue believing in religion after childhood would suggest that some really are. And some don’t grow out of wearing football shirts either.

AdamW
    Free Member

I don’t consider religionists ‘fruityloop’ but I find it very hard to understand them. Still, if they want to believe in the christian/muslim/chinese/hindu/aztec/martian gods then that’s their business. Just leave me out of their faith until I come calling (the number of times I have been ‘invited’ to go the ‘Alpha course’ [read: very poor brainwashing attempt]….).

While others would consider me a hard-core atheist I believe I am omni-agnostic. You cannot prove a negative (i.e. there is/are *no* god(s)) so there must be an infinitesimally small chance that any of them exist. Therein lies the rub – it is *any* of them. Zeus/Apollo/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Invisible Pink Unicorn/Christian god/Muslim god/Hindu gods. I believe in them all to exactly the same extent!

Which bring up something else – a person of religion X, while themselves consider themselves of faith, are usually much more vehemently atheist about god Y, which isn’t in their pantheon. Odd that.

One more interesting thing is the concept of the devil/beezulbub etc. You could argue that the abrahamic faiths are not really a monotheistic faith but a duo-theistic faith with the ‘good’ god being ‘god’ and the evil god being ‘the devil’. Still, the devil isn’t discussed much in the bible but so much is made of it. Stick, I guess as opposed to the carrot of ‘heaven’ (which could bring us into the ‘pure-land’ view of some buddhist branches but lets not go there!).

activeDuty
    Free Member

I thought I’d underline that line, coming from a Christian. [:lol:]

very droll. 😳

Because the ultimate goal of these religions is to have everyone “under their wing” whether we like it or not.

see, that seems to be a common misconception. Not sure where you get the idea that Christianity supports conscription.

AdamW
    Free Member

see, that seems to be a common misconception. Not sure where you get the idea that Christianity supports conscription.

To be fair, activeDuty:

From google –

Results 1 – 10 of about 1,220,000 for evangelical church. (0.22 seconds)

I know someone in an evangelical church. Scary. From ‘evangelicalchurch.org’ (the top hit on google):

The Evangelical Church is a movement of “Harvest-focused, Holiness-fueled” churches committed to establishing healthy multiplying churches that proclaim the Gospel of free and full salvation from all sin for all people. It is our intent to fulfill the Great Commission of Jesus Christ to make disciples of all nations.

I don’t see this as a misconception. Could you tell me how this is not true? I thought the 1990s were to be the decade of evangelicalism according to the Archbishop of Canterbury at the time?

And don’t start on the ‘Jesus Army’. If he existed and was a nice bloke he would be rotating in his grave at a high speed with that bunch…

kennyp
    Free Member

Because religious people can’t see that they are fruityloop, so they get angry when we try to tell them.
    Sorry to disappoint you, but they don’t. Most just tend to laugh when they read childish silly things like that.

Perhaps you could show me on here where someone putting forward a pro-religious point of view (I’m staying neutral) has shown any sort of anger or hatred? On the other hand I could show you umpteen comments like “child abusers” and “******* retards” that rather make me think all the hatred is coming from one side. I do feel very sorry for you if you really hate folk that much. That’s genuine, I’m not being sarcastic.

El-bent
    Free Member

Conscription, an appropriate word because if you are born in this country you are technically governed by Christian beliefs, traditions and of course their influence in the political system. The only reason you are getting so many bishops etc speaking out recently is because their influence is on the wane.

And having once been of the Christian Ilk, I understand the methods and means completely.

JulianA
    Free Member

There’s an awful lot of intolerance going on in this thread.

If someone’s beliefs don’t chime with yours (whatever they might be) but don’t harm you either (and I have been on the receiving end of some pretty (to me) harmful so-called Christian beliefs), can’t you just live and let live?

It won’t hurt you…

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

“If someone’s beliefs don’t chime with yours (whatever they might be) but don’t harm you either ” ..

Ah, but we have to fund them as well! What of Radio 4’s outstandingly irritating Christianity dirge on Thought For The Day? – And last week we were also told of the £30M of taxpayers money spent on Hospital Chaplains.

If there were tax on the Church forcing them to fund a daily athiest BBC sermon and Humanist hospital psychiatrist, they might soon kick up a fuss!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

we have to fund them as well! What of Radio 4’s outstandingly irritating Christianity dirge on Thought For The Day?

I expect you will find, if you interogate the statistisc closely, that some license payers are in fact religeous.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

And last week we were also told of the £30M of taxpayers money spent on Hospital Chaplains

Ditto taxpayers/sick people

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I expect you will find ……. that some license payers are in fact religious.

Really ?

Well they better not show their faces here.

God help them if they do.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ernie; like anyone would dream of showing their faces in Croydon.

Now that is a truly Godforsaken place…

zaskar
    Free Member

AndyP – Member
    Because religious people can’t see that they are fruityloop, so they get angry when we try to tell them. Despite all that bollocks being about forgiveness, and all that. **** retards.

Brilliantly done LOL!

I’ve sinned but a sacrifice should sort it out with God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o&feature=related

Spamf
    Free Member

Cant be bothered reading this whole thread, but am amused by the notion of lies and supersition being forced on youngsters not old enough to know better as “child abuse”.
    Will those postulating this view be telling their kids “santa’s not real. Don’t you dare believe in him!!” or will they be happily “abusing” their children with this lie come Christmastime?

El-bent
    Free Member

Nor do those who believe in a religion. Thats why they would prefer that there are laws to protect them from criticism.

Without freedom of speech there is no freedom.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

No, the UN Resolution (If people would actually read it propply), is about stopping people from spreading falsehoods and untruths about religions, NOT stopping people from having the right to free speech.

Read it propply. Do yerself a favour. Learn something… 🙄

El-bent
    Free Member

I knew you would bite. Its too easy.

I tell you what, I’ll Learn something 🙄 if you drop the mockney spelling.

El-bent
    Free Member

I’ve also decided what I’m going to learn.

Guitar.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Put up, or shut up.

RudeBoy’s Law don’t extend to you… 😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I’d like to learn Spainish, actually. If the local Council adult education service could sort itself out enough to run a course for more than 3 weeks…

Good luck with the guitar. I considered it once, but I’m just not patient enough.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘why can’t we criticise religions or religious people without getting grief’ is closed to new replies.