Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Why don’t people know how to cross a road anymore?
  • GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If the driver is concerned about pollution then there is a better solution.

Indeed, like walking. Which is what I do lots of, but I avoid stopping traffic unnecessarily. Unless, of course, it’s a minibus being driven by esselgruntfuttock 😉

ransos
    Free Member

The bit you failed to grasp.

But why have an intelligent conversation when you can just be a prat?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

The bit you failed to grasp.

But why have an intelligent conversation when you can just be a prat?

You cheeky young man!

So just to confirm, I’m a prat for crossing a road when it’s safe and quiet. Okay, that makes sense I guess, I’ve been called a lot worse.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Unless, of course, it’s a minibus being driven by esselgruntfuttock 😉

GRRR!!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

GRRR!!

Don’t get annoyed, I’ll buy you a coffee while you’re waiting 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t get annoyed, I’ll buy you a coffee while you’re waiting

In the Costa down Starbeck? 🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I could ask why when I stopped at a zebra crossing this morning to let pedestrians across the bloke behind crashed into me.. ffs

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

In the Costa down Starbeck? 🙂

If it’s the one next to the level crossing, there’ll be enough time for three coffees and a game of chess!

squirrelking
    Free Member

So just to confirm, I’m a prat for crossing a road when it’s safe and quiet. Okay, that makes sense I guess, I’ve been called a lot worse.

Nope, not at all. I applaud your critical thinking and reasoned argument.

If only others followed your example.

*awaits another slapdown from a dank meme*

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

If only others followed your example.

🙂 Ta. Every little helps, as they say. Well, at least Tesco says it. But seems like common sense to me.

stgeorge

I’ve altered my route to work recently as I’ve discovered a set of lights that pretty much change to red as soon as you hit the button. It’s ace. Sometimes I’ll cross then press the button on the other side just because I can.

Hence stopping cars, public transport, delivery vehicles, cyclists: delaying any emergency vehicle in subsequent queue, irritating all road users, causing an increase in polution,

F..ing genius, feel proud

ransos
    Free Member

Cool. Is it an example you’re going to start following?

ransos
    Free Member

delaying any emergency vehicle

Have a think about that.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

‘delaying any emergency vehicle,

He means the Deliveroo guy.

funkmasterp

Hence stopping cars, public transport, delivery vehicles, cyclists: delaying any emergency vehicle in subsequent queue, irritating all road users, causing an increase in polution,

F..ing genius, feel proud

Err…..it won’t stop emergency vehicles. If you’re that concerned about pollution I hope you don’t drive? You think pedestrian crossing lights work long enough to form a substantial queue? The amount of traffic is what causes the queues any way. I could go on, but it’s way too easy. Oh and there are no bus routes on the road.

Basically I’m a twelve year old at heart and find it amusing. Drivers regularly far exceed the speed limit on the stretch of road. It’s good to slow them down a bit.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you’re that concerned about pollution I hope you don’t drive?

*sigh*

The point was that stopping people unnecessarily makes an already polluting activity more so and unnecessarily so.

Strawman arguments back don’t make it any less valid.

imnotverygood

funkmasterp

The point was that stopping people unnecessarily makes an already polluting activity more so and unnecessarily so.

‘Tis necessary for my amusement 😉

The fact that some people actually think it causes harm is laughable. Stopping emergency services, nope the worst it does is ever so slightly inconvenience about three people for around thirty seconds. None most days. It’s getting way too easy to get a rise out of angry late middle aged men on here recently.

CountZero

FWIW, when I walk up to a crossing, I look both ways, as one should, and if there’s any traffic I’ll press the button and wait, or if it’s a zebra crossing, I’ll stand and wait for cars to stop. I will walk across if I think a car is far enough away that I can walk safely without needing a red light, but as I can’t run, because of my shonky arthritic knee, a reasonable stroll is the best I can do.
    It’s the peds who, when I’m driving towards them and they’re approaching a crossing, instead of walking up to it and waiting for me to stop walk up and step straight onto the crossing! This, I believe, is contrary to what the Highway Code says, that one should wait for approaching traffic to stop before putting a foot onto the crossing.

dissonance

This, I believe, is contrary to what the Highway Code says, that one should wait for approaching traffic to stop before putting a foot onto the crossing.

Sort of although it isnt a Should or Must (in the highway code sense)
    Its actually a tad confused and really unhelpful.
    Whilst the pedestrian section does say wait until traffic is stopped until crossing the rules for cars only has the MUST when the pedestrian is on the crossing.
    So its a bit of a catch 22 situation for the pedestrian. If you dont step out then you are relying on the driver to give way and if you do you are counting on them to be competent.
    As such I would tend to go for the stepping out (with a certain paranoia factor).

ransos
    Free Member

I think it’s great that the forum’s Jeremy Clarksons have so much concern for the environment.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I think it’s great that the forum’s Jeremy Clarksons have so much concern for the environment.

Haha, well said Ransos!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Is anyone who drives a Jeremy Clarkson then?

I guess that makes you a proper Lance Armstrong.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Why don’t people know how to cross a road anymore?’ is closed to new replies.