Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Zoom interview etiquette
  • thered

Is it advisable as the interviewee to do an interview in my car?

DezB
    Free Member

I’d park up first 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Stationary, can’t see why not. Driving, nope.

willard

As long as you are not dogging at the same time, I don’t see why not.

geomickb
    Free Member

Depends on the role.

If this is a WFH role then I would say no, the interviewer will want to see that you have space to work/have meetings.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

As someone who has gone through this (successfully) in the last couple of months, I’d say no.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Do what any self respecting second rate politician does.

Set a rubbish fake bookcase as your background.

Good luck

Garry_Lager

Not if you can help it – suggests you have other priorities. Depends on the interview though – if it’s a massive opportunity then obv no one interviews for it from their conveyance. If it’s something more routine and the travel is important then it’s maybe not such a big deal.

Superficial
    Free Member

No way.

Unless you’ve got an interesting-sounding excuse. Try it here first. If I was interviewing, I’d want to see that you were giving this interview your time / full attention.

Flaperon

Definitely no. Set the laptop up in the same place you’d be working and make sure there’s good light / obligatory bookshelves etc. You need good diffused light on your face but also a little from above and behind so you don’t blend into the background.

Laptop perched on box so that the camera isn’t looking up your nose. Stick some googly eyes by the webcam to remind you to look at it and not the screen.

You will be judged by what they see in the background. Is it a kitchen? Needs to be clean and tidy.

Evict family members from the house for the duration. Your neighbour will automatically know to start their power tools / lawn mower just as the interview starts.

If you haven’t used Zoom before do a trial call with someone so you know that it works and whether you need to make changes to your setup.

benp1

Most likely no, doesn’t naturally set you up for success. But also depends on the role you’re interviewing for, what stage you’re at and the nature of the interview

lunge

Unless you’ve got an interesting-sounding excuse. Try it here first. If I was interviewing, I’d want to see that you were giving this interview your time / full attention.

This is my view, whilst a Zoom interview is clearly different from a face-to-face, you still want to see someone taking it seriously, and that means being in the right environment.

If you blur your background and your signal is good then you could get away with it. But you’d need a stand for your phone and be in a quiet place as well as having a very good reason.

Jakester
    Free Member

I’ve interviewed candidates in their car (whilst parked!). They explained they shared a house and it was the easiest way to ensure they weren’t disturbed. I didn’t have any problem with it and we subsequently offered them the job (which they accepted).

Is it advisable? No, unless like our interviewee you don’t have anywhere else more suitable to go instead.

ayjaydoubleyou

If your position is to be WFH, show your proposed working environment.

If not, cant see the objection. Be prepared to explain yourself though – lunchbreak at current job, house full of kids etc.

Caher

If James Corden’s involved buy an ejector seat.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I’ve interviewed candidates in their car (whilst parked!). They explained they shared a house and it was the easiest way to ensure they weren’t disturbed. I didn’t have any problem with it and we subsequently offered them the job (which they accepted).

This.

If I was interviewing someone and they were upfront about why they had to do it in the car (kids, building work etc) I would have no problem with it.
    If I was being interviewed in that way I would therefore quickly explain why I was doing it and make sure I made extra effort otherwise – dress smart, make sure lighting is good, angle of camera is face height etc. Propping up a phone on my lap on the steering wheel probably isn’t going to look good so make a stand to out on the dash, maybe use the passenger seat. Make sure car is spotless too.
    The audio quality on video calls in cars is actually quite good as it’s a damped enclosed space, it’ll be the position of the camera that’ll be the tricky bit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If this is a WFH role then I would say no, the interviewer will want to see that you have space to work/have meetings.

Surely that only applies if you’re currently working fom home? If you’re currently office-based, site-based, a sales rep, delivery driver, Doctor, or any other non-WFH job. Then your options are really driving home for a phone interview (seems pointless), or do it in your car.

mattyfez

Do what any self respecting second rate politician does.

Set a rubbish fake bookcase as your background.

https://singletrackworld.com/user/ro5ey/ hasit.

mattyfez

The whole conservative/right take over seems to be working for the people who would be worst affected.

Let them eat thier diner, lol.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Zoom interview etiquette’ is closed to new replies.