Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Why can't I send emails from another computer ?
  • I’m at Mrs MTG’s house.
    She uses AOL webmail. (I think I’ve got that right)
    I’ve set Mailwasher and Outlook Express on her computer to my account. I’m on Tiscali, if that makes a difference.
    Mailwasher works perfectly.
    I can read emails in Outlook Express, but when I try to send them, I get…

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: ‘pop.tiscali.co.uk’, Server: ‘smtp.tiscali.co.uk’, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I thought maybe I had got one of the settings in OE wrong, so I brought my laptop from home. It works at home, but gets the same error message here.

Is there some sort of compatibility problem with AOL and Tiscali ?
    How do I get round it ?

boblo
    Free Member

Are you on the Tiscali (Talk Talk) network at Mrs MTG’s house or another broadband provider?

With Outlook, you are logging into Tiscali’s SMTP server to send email, you can only do this from their network.

If you are not on their network, either send via Tiscali webmail or find an SMTP host you can ‘hop’ from. I use 02’s SMTP server to send Tiscali email from Outlook when using non Tiscali networks.

Sounds bizarre but ’tis true.

Thanks, boblo.
    I just tried altering the outgoing mail server in OE and got…

The host ‘smtp.aol.co.uk’ could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: ‘pop.tiscali.co.uk’, Server: ‘smtp.aol.co.uk’, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

and…

The message could not be opened from out Outbox folder. Account: ‘pop.tiscali.co.uk’, Server: ‘smtp.o2.co.uk’, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800420C8

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was ‘aecmilitant@tiscali.co.uk’. Subject ‘a’, Account: ‘pop.tiscali.co.uk’, Server: ‘smtp.o2.co.uk’, Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: ‘550 RCPT TO:<aecmilitant@tiscali.co.uk> Relaying not allowed – please use SMTP AUTH’, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

The problem is that I am trying to forward some emails on to her which I have opened in OE.
    It seems that once I have opened an email in either OE or Tiscali webmail, it disappears off the server, so I am unable to open it again with the other.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Generally, as mentioned above – you can’t send from your home mail server from another network for security reasons, however they may have other ways. But if you’ve opened the email from a POP account on a mail client you have downloaded it from the server and unless you’ve ticked the “leave messages on server” box you won’t be able to get it again, but you should be able to forward it from the client that downloaded it. If you’re on the right ISP.

All ISPs have webmail, why not just use webmail?

boblo
    Free Member

Ahhh, sounds like youn have two problems:

1. You’re a Tiscali user trying to send email via Tiscali whilst on a ‘foreign’ (non Tiscali network. My first reply applies to this. I’d be very surprised if AOL allow ‘foreign’ email to transit their SMTP servers which could be why you are getting the AOL error when changing your Outlook client to using their server address. As I said, I’ve used an 02 address I had lying idle. Not sure if you can register as a user of their services unless you’re a customer? If you are, you’ll need a username and password from them. The SMTP address is mail.o2.co.uk

2. You’re trying to forward email previously downloaded to your Outlook client and can’t. You’ve tried using Tiscali Webmail to do this and can’t now see the email(s) via Webmail? Coffee’s point about deleting mail off the server applies as it’s an option in Outlook.

Lastly, this is a bit complicated and involved, unfortunately…

Thanks for the help, I understand a bit more about how the internet works now if nothing else.

In case you’re wondering what this is all about, I get an email notification of everyone who pre enters or downloads an on the day entry form for the trailquest I am organising tomorrow (did I mention I ride trailquests ?)
    Mrs MTG is helping with writing the names on the score cards in advance to save time on the day. I’m just forwarding everything on to her so she knows who’s coming and whether they’ve already paid.

I can work around the problem by copy & pasting the contents of the email from OE in to a new one on Tiscali webmail. It just would have been easier if I could forward it directly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Why can't I send emails from another computer ?’ is closed to new replies.