Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Why cant i bleed my Avid Code brakes?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

Im using this kit

https://epicbleedsolutions.com/collections/bleed-kits/products/avid-bleed-kit

The syringe doesn’t screw into the bleed port on the calliper (2020 Code RSC), because the thread on the syringe is too narrow.

Why is nothing ever easy?

fooman

Maybe SRAM Bleeding Edge port on caliper? Different fitment to old Avid I’m afraid.

woody83
    Free Member

yeah you need the bleeding edge tool for caliper, its worth buying the proper SRAM tool as all the cheaper variants i’ve used do not fit properly.

i ve used the the version epic bleed sell and its not great you have to firmly hold it in in place or it just leaks and falls out. its also really difficult to get a good bleed with the non sram copies

somafunk

Hang them up in your shed, go inside and order Shimano or Hope if you’re a tart

oikeith

I agree with other posters, you’ll need the set with the bleeding edge adaptor.

I have the epic bleed kit for this and have no issues over the few years I have had it and used multiple times.

thebibbles

As others have said, you needed this one https://epicbleedsolutions.com/collections/sram/products/sram-bleed-kit

But you can just order this one to add to your current kit https://epicbleedsolutions.com/collections/sram/products/sram-bleeding-edge-tool

razorrazoo

Ignore this, current generation Codes are excellent brakes and once you have the right bleeding edge kits, are much easier to bleed than either Shimano or Hope too.

Also dare I say it, the Epic kits can be a bit rubbish.  For Shimano brakes I’ve found the generic (yellow plastic parts) bleed kits better and easier to use for a similar (or cheaper) price.  As stated above, for SRAM get the right bleeding edge part from SRAM (though I think the one I’m currently using is the Epic one).

soobalias
    Free Member

avids, just need a little bleed….. bin em.

joebristol

Firstly they’re not branded Avid if they’re 2020 Codes – they’re Sram. And they will be bleeding edge calipers. You need the tool that clicks into the rear bleed port. Guarantees you don’t get fluid everywhere at the caliper end when you’re bleeding the brakes. Shame the levers don’t have something similar!

I find my Codes far easier to bleed than shimano with that stupid open funnel thing and just a pipe that goes over the bleed port on the caliper. I hate bleeding my road brakes (Shimano).

Epic bleed kits are ok – I’ve had one for Sram and have one now for Shimano. The pro version of the Sram bleed kit is quite a bit nicer to use though.

razorrazoo

avids, just need a little bleed….. bin em.

Firstly they’re not branded Avid if they’re 2020 Codes – they’re Sram.

Can’t believe that:

A) People still refer to new SRAM brakes as Avid, SRAM bought AVID IN 2004 AND phased out the name ages ago.

B) People still think ‘Avid’ brakes are rubbish.  SRAM brakes of recent years have been far better than others I have used and much easier to bleed (pity they still use DOT oil).  I think the Code R is the sweet spot in terms of performance / value.  I like Shimano mtb brakes, but until they sort the wandering bite point (yes I have had a set which could never be cured) which has been an issue for years I’ll stay away (I do like Shimano road disks, just not the bleed process).

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Had more trouble with Shimano than I ever have with Sram. Swap the pistons for their top of the range aluminium ones if you don’t have top the range versions and they’re a lot easier to live with than Shimano.

fooman

If I were Shimano I’d pay people to diss the competition online.

Had more trouble with Shimano than I ever have with Sram

I bet you don’t feel the need or have the time to complain on every Shimano thread either.

Makes you think.

I have a fried who is always banging on about how good Shimano stuff is. He was breaking derailleurs at twice the rate and half the mileage of my trusty SRAM stuff yet continues to buy Shimano as ‘it’s the best’

You see it in threads here too ‘I’ve not had a problem but I’ll switch to Shimano it’s what the internets tell me to do’

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Why cant i bleed my Avid Code brakes?’ is closed to new replies.