• This topic has 129 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by ernie.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • Why cant britain produce olympic or even world cup level XC racers
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Was he the chappie on the orange spesh with blue forks? The other chappie on the hardtail was right up him when I had to stop watching.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It doesn’t help that the British commentators don’t seem to know anything about mountain biking – comments about average speed, soft tails and aerodynamics #facepalm

Explain. Why are these things irrelevant?
    I used to measure races on average speed, soft tails were an option and Schurter does (currently) have an unusual riding position.
    It was nice to see that the hands moved inboard whenever possible.
    #WiderNotBest

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

One of the main issues facing the current crop of Olympic potential MTBers is the serious lack of anywhere to train.

Disagree entirely:
    1) Most of the fitness training is on the road, it’s easier to be specific and minimises the risks of a season ending injury.
    2) Trail centers are probably pretty close to what they race on, no other country has them quite like we do.
    3) There’s always DH trails if you really want something more technical to practice.

ferrals
    Free Member

I also disagree, plenty of training options, we have loads of natural variety, Dalby was a wc course, they built a wc course at Margam that never gets used.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The main problem with producing WC level racers is that it’s a very hard sport requiring fitness, skill and luck all in equal measures.

It’s got too many variables that the people who pay for funding don’t like. Too many things to go wrong. Most UK riders are self funded, I think there are only currently 2 full time professional MTB Elite riders in UK, Ie. get paid by a Team enough to make a living and not have to work.

The UK is also a bit of a pain in the arse to get to world class competitions week in week out, OK it’s not hard to get to Europe but it’s expensive if paying for it yourself every weekend, so you don’t get to race against the people you need to all the time like a lot of the other nations.

Training facilities are NOT the problem, we have lots of places for athletes to train in UK. Grant is a very good technical rider, is fit enough that he could probably sign for a very good level road team if he chose to. It’s just that the people in front of him are also just as good technically if not a little better, are also very fit if not a bit better etc..

Grant is 22 and will develop into a very good WC racer as long as he doesn’t get lured away with the money road racing has.

ernie

I’ve said it many times before: BC can select a team for the workd champs etc, the team is presented to UK Sport who have the fonal say on how the money is spent i.e. Who is sent. BC can select who they want, but if this is veteoed by UKS there is nothing further they can do. Blaming everything on BC is silly, downhill took hold of their dicipline and developed it with excellent marketting and course / race development.

For UK xc racing, how many on here go ride xc and race xc races? UK courses are improving and the talent pool is increasing. BC have a very active youth and hunior development programme that seems to be turning up with the goods e.g. Current european junr champion. I am convinced BC got it very wrong leading up to London and Rio but are now focused on 2020. Ive been racing at the top level since 2005 and have seen the dicipline develop and change. To my mind the quality is improving (although it could just be me getting old) and the numbers are increasing.

Media attention: why do no magazines / general mtb websites cover mtb xc? Singletrack – any comment? I dont know. If i said i would write race reports would you be interested in printing on the website?

Anybody who thinks xc is too easy should come out for a ride with the elite riders: they are bloody fast and have to mix excellent technical skills with top end fitness. Some top roadies e.g. yanto barker did some end of season mtb events and got hammered. Their fit but mtb requires different physical attributes and lots of skill.

epicyclo

ernie – Member
    …Media attention: why do no magazines / general mtb websites cover mtb xc? Singletrack – any comment? I dont know. If i said i would write race reports would you be interested in printing on the website?…

No offence, but I hope not.

I get SIngleTrack because to me it’s about riding bikes in interesting places not speeding around play parks for a couple of hours.

I like stuff about long distance races in adverse conditions (eg the Rovaniemi, TDR, HT550) though.

Spin
    Free Member

They’re also way more technical than the average trail centre

Nah. Remember all the comment about how easy the London course was?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

No offence, but I hope not.

I get SIngleTrack because to me it’s about riding bikes in interesting places not speeding around play parks for a couple of hours.

Like any article in the mag you can choose to read it or not, can’t you..?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In contrast to the UK selection…
    http://tis.dpac.tas.gov.au/news_items/tough_but_amazing_experience
    Somebody pulled out some pics of Scotty riding a few years back in one of numerous XC events, he did well and picked up sponsorship and even downhere in isolated tassie there was at lest a summer XC series to get stuck into, A lot of the mainland racing is at least accesible with one cheap flight etc. Last year we had a raffle and donation bucket so he could go race WC’s There is strong competition at that end of the Oz field and part of it is due to a very strong club culture who seem to only ever put on races. After that IMHO the tighter access laws mean that you either ride more events to access places or it concentrates riders into places. Maybe the UK’s beardy hill roaming version of XC actually hurts the competitive side, many people seem to see being competitive as “just not mountain biking”
    and from a few years back some local guys managed to pull together a big prize pot for a 4 day race
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/hPoa5V]Start of Day 1[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/hPoe8p]More Day 1 start[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    There was a proper who’s who of Aus/NZ racing around with it being about 5k for the winning pair in mens and womens.

There are also about 6 or 7 3-4 day XC type stage races, countless 12 & 24’s a full Marathon series and XCO along with state and regional races

as long as he doesn’t get lured away with the money road racing has.

This becomes the other problem, there is no cash in mountian bikes

epicyclo

mrlebowski – Member
    Like any article in the mag you can choose to read it or not, can’t you..?

Like I chose not to read the other mags?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Like I chose not to read the other mags?

Yes.

&?

Are you saying you’d stop reading ST if it started to cover XC racing? I.e just because of one thing you’d drop the mag?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t worry he’d only cut of his internet nose not his real one….

anyway Pinkbike do a great job of conributor based write ups of a lot of good racing (XC to Rampage)
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/racing

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

TBF, those suggesting a switch from mid-pack elite roadie to “top” class XC rider aren’t that far off the mark. But unfortunately 15 years out of date.

In the late 90’s, with a couple of years transition, it was doable, with certain limitations.
    Now, with rules about minimum wages on the road (for the blokes anyway) and the increasing technical levels of the MTB courses, your two years becomes 3 or 4, and the salary drop goes from not very much at all to losing the house and ending up on the street……..

DanW
    Free Member

Ok, to flip this around… what did Oli B and (DarkCyan’s love interest 🙂 ) Liam Killeen do differently to avoid having a proper job and race XC full time?

I guess riding at a time when XC was what everyone did (now we are all much more gnarcore and need a nice long travel endurbro bike for trail mincing) helps as does Liam in particular being ridiculously talented on a bike.

When someone like Grant has minor support (wasn’t he still on a 26er for the Commonwealth games?) and riders like Kenta Gallagher moving away at just 22 then something is wrong as there does seem to be a fair amount of young talented riders.

Given Kenta’s DH skills I can see the draw to switch but the cynical part of me wonders what sacrifices riders in a similar position with insane technical skills would be required to make to get the “fitness” side up to standard…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Live at home?
    Live like a student?
    Get very lucky with sponsorship?
    Work for the importer?

Or go and live somewhere where XC is popular and not sidelined and ridiculed.
    You can watch a few of the XCO and XCM events here live streamed. Only a few angles and a SD stream, but it’s done by amateurs, for practise/fun.

Still get several thousand people watching.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Oli B and Liam both had salaries from teams. Liam’s in particular quite lucrative for a while so probably built up a little nest egg.

Oli always worked real hard at marketing himself as well as possible and doing everything right to chase smaller endorsements rather than 1 big team pot.

Kenta never really liked XC, just did it because he was bloody good at it, until the funding ran out (supported by BC until 23). Then went on to do what he wanted to once he was paying for it himself.

aP
    Free Member

ferrals – Member
    I agree more positive media coverage would improve numbers racing. The thing is cx doesn’t get any coverage either (unless the roadie media cover it?) but participation is booming apparently (only done one season myself). Guess that is due to interest at a club level?

Bike 2 work is the real reason CX has taken off. We watched it happen after having been effectively ostracised by “real road riders” for 20 years, suddenly they caught onto it because they could buy tax free bikes.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bike 2 work is the real reason CX has taken off.

er?? Has it lead to more people taking up CX racing on £1k bikes or just selling them?

(I’d also say down in Oz most of the fast XC riders are racing CX and road and probably Enduro too)

cookeaa

footflaps – Member
    XC isn’t a good investment, you only have two medals at stake. With track, you have multiple medal opportunities, so it’s a much better bet if the aim is to maximise return on investment.

This is the nub of it, but I can’t help feeling quite sad that the justification sounds more like the decision making process of an investments firm than a sporting body…

I guess we should now tell any kids with dreams of competing in any sport to just make sure there’s a convincing cost/benefit analysis to go along with their chosen sport.

Do UK sport often overrule/go against BC recommendations on Olympic funding and selection? If BC don’t put a competitor forwards for a given event, could UKS fill the spot themselves?

BC are still the gatekeepers and it does feel like they’re just going to keep doing what they know now, not try and expand UK Olympic aspirations outside of track and road, safe territory and a “good return on investment”…

It’s disappointing more than anything I suppose, but then again what’s really the big whoop about Olympic competition?
    It’s just a shop window for miscellaneous sports so the sofa surfers can see what’s about every four years, and then revert to watching football and eating crisps…

ferrals
    Free Member

er?? Has it lead to more people taking up CX racing on £1k bikes or just selling them?

Actually it’s exactly why i started cx, needed a bike to commute, couldnt face removing all off-road options so looked into a cx bike and, being competitive, within days was planning my first cx season 😆

Very easy to get into cx, welcoming scene, loads of races, the fitness requirements to complete a race are much lower* and the technicality absorbing rather than scary.

* by which I mean you may get lapped several times but you’ll probably get round whereas a 1km 15% climb in an xc race may be to much for some beginners to contemplate riding.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do UK sport often overrule/go against BC recommendations on Olympic funding and selection? If BC don’t put a competitor forwards for a given event, could UKS fill the spot themselves?

BC are still the gatekeepers and it does feel like they’re just going to keep doing what they know now, not try and expand UK Olympic aspirations outside of track and road, safe territory and a “good return on investment”…
    To qualify for XC your nation needs to get up the rankings, I think that BC sent the women off to road races instead of getting points. I think Tracey Mosely was riding WC XC in the run up in order to get the qualified status up to get women into the London games.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I didn’t think CX needed to take off. Some of the UK leagues were seeing 200+ riders in a day when i was still in the UK and i heard that some were seeing 100+ in the main event (West Mids maybe?).

Real road riders do CX to keep their eye in. Don’t know who was ostracising you. Unless you were trying to make CX more like MTBing. Or they weren’t real road riders 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member

footflaps – Member
    XC isn’t a good investment, you only have two medals at stake. With track, you have multiple medal opportunities, so it’s a much better bet if the aim is to maximise return on investment.

This is the nub of it, but I can’t help feeling quite sad that the justification sounds more like the decision making process of an investments firm than a sporting body…

Not to mention that xc mtb is a very accesible form of sport for the general public, much more so than track cycling so in terms of mass participation xc role models would be much more beneficial.

bill-oddie
    Free Member

Don’t care that the UK doesn’t have a top rider at the mo. I’m grateful to have a discipline in cycling to follow that’s about enjoying the racing rather than have a bunch of flag waving knuckleheads continuously banging on about how great their country is because its dominating the sport and gunning for their 1 or 2 guys.

XC racing in the UK is fine. There are plenty of events and series comparable to the number of riders who want to do it. Its rare to not be able to enter an xc race on the day. I just think it has limited appeal to many UK MTB riders – they think they’re much cooler if wearing baggy shorts and getting their 3 feet of air, also you have to get yourself in reasonable shape for it to be fun….

Would be nice to see some of the younger riders bridge the gap to Nino and Kulhavy though.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Dunno where this rambling dialogue has got to after three pages of STW discussions – really can’t be bothered to read all that… 😉

I’ll add my tuppence..

Quite simply… if you look at the countries doing well in XC worldwide (Switzerland, France, Spain, Austria, Germany, etc.) – interestingly, they also happen to be the countries where ‘XC’ riding is still a thing.

We in the UK are awesums at downhill, enduuuuro, etc (despite not having any actual mountains). This amazing ability, in part, I think reflects a greater interest in those aspects of the sport in the UK. In the UK, people largely don’t seem to give a damn about XC, hence the widespread (commercial, lottery funding, media, etc.) support for it just isn’t there.

Head out to the continent – and you’ll see many recreational lycra-clad MTBers out ‘XC’ riding on short travel 29ers, with flat bars. I get the impression that their approach to mountain biking is more like ‘road riding, but off-road’. This attitude is more in keeping with the the XC tradition of our sport, in contrast to those padded up weekend warrior storm troopers you might see at our trail centres.

Clearly the continentals still ‘get’ XC and this probably delivers a groundswell of support for traditional-style riding, helping integrate it into the collective national consciousness.

Just look at the Brazilian supporters too – absolutely batshit crazy for it.

epicyclo

mrlebowski – Member
    …Are you saying you’d stop reading ST if it started to cover XC racing? I.e just because of one thing you’d drop the mag?

You’re putting words in my mouth.

It would become less interesting to me because it would mean displacing some other content.

There’s already plenty mtb trail-park magazines to record the gnar.

I’m interested in getting around the countryside on singletrack, not zipping around artificial courses. I have nothing against those who do, but it is of negative interest to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m interested in getting around the countryside on singletrack, not zipping around artificial courses. I have nothing against those who do, but it is of negative interest to me.

I’m interested in loads of things but fat bikes, trudging with tents and swimming through bogs bores the tits off me, so I skip that but of the mag.

I thought we were talking about XC racing? In the last few months STW has covered Rampage, Enduro etc in Peebels and the Fort William WC. Love to see a write up on some of the UK xc scene every now and then, wouldn’t really hurt, might change some perceptions eh 😉

scotroutes

That would make some sense. A blow-by-blow account of each race wouldn’t (and any published results would be out of date). It would certainly be nice to know who our likely contenders in any future Olympics are before the start of the race 🙂

ferrals
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

There’s already plenty mtb trail-park magazines to record the gnar…. zipping around artificial courses. I have nothing against those who do, but it is of negative interest to me.

There certainly are, but they have nothing to do with XC.

I’m sure you are semi-trolling, but xc races in the UK predominantly use natural terrain. In fact XC races are one of the easiest ways, in more populated regions, of riding natural stuff fast without worrying about walkers, horserists etc.

scotroutes

Do they? The only two XC courses I know of up this way are at Badaguish and Contin. Both are on man-made tracks. Could be a lot different further south though.

ferrals
    Free Member

Well I guess ‘manmade’ is a bit open ended. They arent normally on trail centre stuff which is what I consider manmade. Obviously will be some double-track/fireroad but often the fun bits are just cleared/raked throguh the forest and get worn in through practise and racing.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You’re putting words in my mouth.

It would become less interesting to me because it would mean displacing some other content.

XC racing get’s very little coverage. I can think of only a couple that regularly cover the scene. Yet I could find any number of mags covering DH & Enduro…..

I really fail to see the harm an article on XC racing in the mag would do.

There’s stuff in the mag that I’m not always interested in but it doesn’t put me off buying it.

You’re only reason for not wanting it in the mag is because you don’t want to read about it- that’s a low quality problem that’s really easy to solve….

Aristotle
    Free Member

I dabbled in XC racing many years ago, and re-discovered it this year. Partly as a result of getting back into biking and being unable to commit to (m)any full days out. Short races are a good way to get involved locally.

I have really enjoyed it. Riding around a park as fast as possible against other poeple is great.

As I am pushing 40 and in the middle of the “racer” category, I’m not in any danger of becoming the UK’s next great hope, though.

epicyclo

ferrals – Member
    Well I guess ‘manmade’ is a bit open ended. They arent normally on trail centre stuff which is what I consider manmade…

To an extent all our trails are manmade – unless you’re following the thin line through the heather made by deer.

IMO a natural trail is usually something formed by foot traffic in the past which wanders round avoiding bogholes, moving a bit to this side and that side every year as the centre gets too boggy and is repaired ad hoc by the users. It won’t have artificial flow, or berms or wooden roads.

mrlebowski – Member
    …You’re only reason for not wanting it in the mag is because you don’t want to read about it…

Got it in one.

You’re talking about changing the focus of the only bike magazine I reckon is worth paying for.

So of course it would become less interesting to me. They (STW) are perfectly entitled to change their focus. It would not be a problem to me, it’s a free market, if racing crowds out the sort of articles I like I’d just stop buying it.

But in true STW style we’ve gone OT. To get back to the original topic, it’s pretty clear that any competitive XC cyclist in the UK either gets swallowed in the maw of BC and goes with the money (road, track) or has to continue basically self-funded which is a life style that is difficult to maintain for very long.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You’re talking about changing the focus of the only bike magazine I reckon is worth paying for.

That’s not what I or anyone else whose said they’d like to see some XC racing reported on in the mag.

Go back & read the thread again.

If you’d seriously give up reading ST all because there is one subject being written about that you don’t like, that’s just really rather tragic don’t you think?

epicyclo

mrlebowski – Member
    Go back & read the thread again.

Try to stop putting words in my mouth. Try reading this bit again “if racing crowds out the sort of articles I like I’d just stop buying it.”

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ll say it again:

Nobody has suggested that ST becomes a magazine about XC racing. Nobody.

It’s been suggested that the mag has a round of up what’s happening on the XC scene.

Is that really too much for you to bare?

Is that too much to ask?

That the mag covers more about what’s happening in the sport?

It’s not all enduro & DH in MTB you know…….

If it is, then that strikes me as being somewhat mean-spirited. Afte all you don’t have to read the article. You can just flip to the next story that you do like.

simonside
    Free Member

As for the OP`s choice of title.
    Kenta Gallagher, 10th Commonwealth games Glasgow.
    Eliminator World Cup in Nove Mesto in 2013.
    He did it off his own back…
    He chose to walk away from XC World cups for something he prefered. He was riding for a team, had a bike and walked away from it through choice.

scotroutes

Someone is listening?

Rio Olympic XC Results

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘Why cant britain produce olympic or even world cup level XC racers’ is closed to new replies.