Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Why aren't these bulbs compatible with these lights?
  • Looking at buying some spot lights, I may not go for these exact ones, but they got me wondering why all GU10 lights and bulbs are not compatible.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/luno-single-spotlight-silver-effect/23780
    Suitable for bulbs with energy rating C or D

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gu10-led-lamps-346lm-5w-pack-of-5/4331g
    “same look and size as halogen lamp”, but A+ rated

I can understand that maybe the light may not cope with the heat of an E rated bulb, but what’s the problem with fitting a lower energy rated one that’s the same voltage, same fitting and same physical size and that actually says it’s a replacement for 50w halogen?

What’s that all about?

iain1775
    Free Member

In very basic terms the Transformer in the light fitting is too ‘powerful’ for the LED bulbs that draw a lot less power (5w compared to 50w)
    You would have to replace the transformer with an LED driver or less ‘powerful’ one
    This can be done in some instances, depending of the light fitting. I did it to all the spots in my kitchen and bathroom when converting to LED’s and also managed to swop one in a fancy light fitting in our hallway (which was a bit of a PITA as I had to find a suitable one that would fit inside the shell of the light fitting) but it might not be possible in that fitting

Some info in this article http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/mar/28/led-lights-information

That article mentions overpowered transformers for low voltage lights.
    Both those I linked to are GU10 240v with “pegs” not “pins” so should be OK.

divenwob
    Free Member

As above GU10 are 240v so not a transformer issue.
    No idea why they would not work? Maybe contact the manufacturer?

I’ve asked on the Screwfix product page (may take 24 hours to appear).
    I just thought I’d get a real world answer here, whereas Screwfix will probably give a non-committal recital of the instructions on the box.

rwamartin
    Free Member

My reading of it is that the lamp is capable of dealing with a high heat output from C and D rated lights. To fit an LED bulb would not be a problem as it doesn’t generate the heat that halogens do.

The only issues I’ve had with replacing bulbs with LEDs is when I’ve had lamps designed for compact fluorescent bulbs which are longer than a standard GU10. This doesn’t appear to be the situation in this case.

Rich.

divenwob
    Free Member

Agreed^^^

Flaperon

^^ Same here. I had to modify the fitting slightly so my LEDs would fit. I added a warning notice on a sticker just in case anyone tries to put a halogen lamp in to replace the LED.

iain1775
    Free Member

Ah sorry didn’t open the links or notice they where GU10

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Why aren't these bulbs compatible with these lights?’ is closed to new replies.