Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 264 total)
  • Why aren't there more women posting on the forum? Some research
  • GW
    Free Member

What is ‘creepy club’? Care to explain please because do not understand this concept. Thx.

The first rule of “creepy club” is…

Now, stop being silly, focus and answer my question please.

oh.. ok, then.. but I’ll let the OP’s friend’s words do the answering..
    “Second, the “sexism” thing I really disliked was the people who as soon as it was clear that a woman was posting something, tried to show how equal ops they were. The overt predators I can live with as again they’re just a bit stupid but I really dislike the smarmy ones who immediately try to get on side with you because you’re a girl. To me, that just sounded creepy. Over the years, I think most girls have met blokes that are like that as they think it’ll make you like them. Right up to the point where you make clear you’re not interested and they swing completely the other way. Really creepy as I said. There seemed to be a lot of that going on on the girls leaving topic too.”

Happier now, creepy man? 8)

druidh
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    it was a bit **** that it took me and sueW to say ” we’re going” before it got taken seriously

I’m glad for you that you think your flounce made a difference.

Cougar

I don’t understand the desperate striving for more female members etc anyway to be honest

‘s not a “striving for more women,” is it, it’s a striving not to alienate a minority demographic or indeed, y’know, people generally.

To put it another way; if the topic was racism, you’ve effectively just come along and gone “I don’t understand the desperate striving for more brown members etc anyway to be honest.”

I can easily see how STW could be intimidating to new users, and why people would be hesitant to post. Personally I’m thick-skinned and too old and grumpy to give a tuppenny shite, my background is pre-web MUDs and BBSes which make STW look like a puppy pile, but the fact that we’re missing out on a lot of potential contributors saddens me a little.

The serial arguers can be a problem when it gets heated, sure. But at least as bad (and IHMO worse) are the ‘third man in’ braying mob brigade that comes gleefully piling in going “yeah TJ / Cinic-Al, everyone knows you’re a prick, remember this event from two years ago” in the middle of any debate.

You know when a lion kills an antelope, then when he’s had his fill all the hyenas and vultures pick the corpse clean? That’s you that is. Please stop it, it’s unpleasant and unnecessary.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

oh.. ok, then.. but I’ll let the OP’s friend’s words do the answering

No, I’m interested in your own explanation, not what Clubber’s made up friend has to say.

So, try again.

I’m glad for you that you think your flounce made a difference.

Well, it got you mentioning it, din’t it? 😆

Cougar

Now I’m hearing the intro to Knight Rider. “One flounce, can make a difference.”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Okay, I’ve come back as a woman. Just to be clear… I’m still trying to look up your skirts.

Sammie-Louise xx

Nick

If the women were forced into posting pictures of themselves we would have the following benefits

1. Creepy club members could determine whether or not to get creepy with them.

2. Less women would join meaning less women would get offended.

Feel free to comment, but to be honest I’m not really interested in your opinions (that’s anyone, not just the women, does that make me equal ops?).

joao3v16
    Free Member

it was a bit **** that it took me and sueW to say ” we’re going” before it got taken seriously

What the flip? 😯

Are there people who take things on internet forums seriously?

Really?

How very very sad …

epicyclo

Cougar – Member
    …the fact that we’re missing out on a lot of potential contributors…

Therein lies the problem.

Apparently there is a user filter available for some browsers. How about the mods get us a universal user filter so we can cut down on the amount of white noise? Preferably one that can be forum specific, eg have it on in chat and off in bike, or vice versa, as well as on both.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

here’s a picture of me, being blown away by Nick’s suggestion…

[Quote]druidh – Member

emsz – Member
    I’m glad for you that you think your flounce made a difference. [/quote]

The forum has been bloody boring since… except for all this introspecitve naval gazing… this is fascinating.

Sammie-Louise xx

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

How very very sad …

Please don’t be sad.

The forum has been bloody boring since.

So don’t bother with it then. Quite simple really, in’t it?

Go and find a more interesting forum, if this one’s ‘boring’.

Nick

Hi Sammie-Lou (is it ok to call you Sammie-Lou?), if you want to use a computer it’s much more comfortable to sit down, also the keyboard k-e-y-b-o-a-r-d is the bumpy thing in front of you (no, not those bumps 😳 ).

Happy to come round and give you some one to one tutoring, I’ve over 30 years experience of using computers and like to think of myself as both an expert and a good listener.

Cougar

here’s a picture of me, being blown away by Nick’s suggestion…

My keyboard is full of tea.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My keyboard is full of tea.

Can I suck it up for you?

Sammie-Louise xx

xiphon
    Free Member

I visit this place to:

A) Laugh at the idiots comparing e-cock sizes.

B) Laugh some more at them.

C) Buy/Sell bike gear

D) Find useful bike-related tech info (ironically for this thread about women, I’ve got quite a bit of ‘girly related’ info for mrs xiphon – saddles, helmets, clothes, etc)

coffeeking
    Free Member

To put it another way; if the topic was racism, you’ve effectively just come along and gone “I don’t understand the desperate striving for more brown members etc anyway to be honest.”

To be honest, I don’t think I’d say anything different – while I’m not one of the usual OTT predators (or, I dont think!, the creepy ones), that this forum is any more or less sexist/racist/anythingist (except maybe roadie-ist) than the real world around me. Sure there’s the odd moron who offends people, but there always is and they’ll always be considered a moron by everyone. What we don’t need is the seemingly constant striving to cleanse everything everyone says of any sort of identification of people being different from each other or worse striving to silence people so that some minority isn’t mildly offended by the real world reflection. As I say, sure there’s always someone willing to be overtly sexist or racist or somethingist, and they’re idiots – we all know it, generally they’re shouted down on a thread and the minority supported – that’s fine, it’s self policing. It just seems it’s the only bloody thing to discuss here these days. I’m going to flounce off at the pathetic over-sensitivity of half the people on here and the even more stupid over-sensitivity of the people who won’t post in case someone says something they don’t like. I’ve got a coffee to make.

mefty
    Free Member

Lack of women made up for by surfeit of “old women”?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve got a coffee to make.

By the looks of things, you might want to lay off the coffee actually…

Torminalis
    Free Member

All these threads have got me thinking… why is navel lint always slightly mauve in colour?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

why is navel lint always slightly mauve in colour?

I have a cousin, who, when she was a little girl used to pick her nose and store them in her belly button. How sweet, huh?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Because you wear mauve clothes and don’t wash your dirty selt often enough?

coffeeking
    Free Member

By the looks of things, you might want to lay off the coffee actually…

It has been said before, but I’ve only had one today. 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

constant striving to cleanse everything everyone says of any sort of identification of people being different from each other or worse striving to silence people so that some minority isn’t mildly offended

“Political correction is the oppression of our intellectual movement so no one says anything anymore just in case anyone else get’s offended.

What happens if you say that and someone gets offended? Well they can be offended, can’t they? What’s wrong with being offended? When did stick and stones may break my bones stop being relevant? Isn’t that what you teach children? He called me an idiot! Don’t worry about it, he’s a dick.

Now you have adults going “I was offended, I was offended and I have rights!” Well so what, be offended, nothing happened. You’re an adult, grow up, and deal with it. “I was offended!” Well, I don’t care! Nothing happens when you’re offended. “I went to the comedy show and the comedian said something about the lord, and I was offended, and when I woke up in the morning, I had leprosy.”

Nothing Happens. “I want to live in a democracy but I never want to be offended again.” Well you’re an idiot.

How do you make a law about offending people? How do you make it an offense to offend people? Being offended is subjective. It has everything to do with you as an individual or a collective, or a group or a society or a community. Your moral conditioning, your religious beliefs. What offends me may not offend you. And you want to make laws about this? I’m offended when I see boy bands for god sake.

It’s a valid offense, I’m offended. They’re cooperate shills, posing as musicians to further a modeling career and frankly I’m disgusted.”

soobalias
    Free Member

quote from a comic iirc
    who was it?

Cougar

this forum is any more or less sexist/racist/anythingist (except maybe roadie-ist) than the real world around me.

What we don’t need is the seemingly constant striving to cleanse everything everyone says of any sort of identification

I don’t disagree, but I don’t believe it’s an either / or situation (and I also don’t believe that’s what anyone really wants anyway).

You seem to be implying that the only standard of decorum is either “Old Trafford stag party at an all-you-can-drink Stella convention sponsored by Nuts magazine” or “black tie evening reception featuring guest speaker The Pope.”

As an analogy, no-one’s suggesting that you can’t go to the pub and have a laugh with your mates; it’s more that once you’ve got there we’d rather you didn’t dip your knob in someone’s pint, grab the breasts of the lone blonde in the night club going “bloody hell lads, you don’t get many of them to the pound,” and then get arrested on your way home for glassing someone after they looked at you a bit funny.

why is navel lint always slightly mauve in colour?

It’s a byproduct of the bacteria that eats it. Truefax.

philconsequence
    Free Member

do people actually get belly button fluff? i thought it was made up for cartoons or something!

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s a byproduct of the bacteria that eats it. Truefax.

really? I knew there’d be something interesting on this thread!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Blimey – are you guys still at it? There’s bikes to be be ridden you know …

As an analogy, no-one’s suggesting that you can’t go to the pub and have a laugh with your mates; it’s more that once you’ve got there we’d rather you didn’t dip your knob in someone’s pint, grab the breasts of the lone blonde in the night club going “bloody hell lads, you don’t get many of them to the pound,” and then get arrested on your way home for glassing someone after they looked at you a bit funny.

Cougar +1 – sums it it perfectly, plus made me giggle at the same time 🙂

epicyclo

joao3v16 – Member
    …What’s wrong with being offended? When did stick and stones may break my bones stop being relevant? …

Nothing much. But it makes threads tedious and boring as well as unpleasant.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

joao3v16 – ‘sticks and stones may break my bones’ stopped being relevant a couple of weeks ago, for me at least, when my little lad, who has a learning disability and sensory integration problems was held down and kicked in the face by some of the older kids in school. This was about the time that Ricky Gervais was in the news for using the term ‘mong’, funnily enough. Not long after this, some eejit on here described the parents of kids with learning disabilities as ‘over sensitive’. Now, I may have misunderstood your post, but you seem to be saying that nothing happens as a result of people being offensive. I for one would disagree with that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cougars quote sums it up really
    Some people come here just to do the knob dipping then tell us all we dont know how to have a good laugh once they have done it or we are easily offended.
    You are right no one has the right to be offended but no one has the right to be offensive. real life reflects this far more than the internet IMHO

flange
    Free Member

This thread just about sums up half you sad bastards.

Whether Clubber made it up or not, it’s a good point well made. The cringeworthy way in which certain posters leap to a womans defense in the hope of gaining popularity with them, or hold discussions with each other about subjects not relating to the thread in an effort to make themselves look popular is beyond sad.

I’ll put money on it than when the two female posters flounced, they received a number of sympathetic emails from creeps off here begging them to stay, offering them a shoulder to cry on and other such bollocks. Again, VERY sad

Oh, and I’d say the creepy club is fairly self-explanatory. Your actions creep women out, your intentions are blatent and despite you arguing the point you know its true. The more angry/argumentative you get, the more obvious it becomes.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh here we go; so expressing your own views that certain behaviour is out of order is ‘creepy’, is it?

I’m not gay. I find homophobia abhorrent. So, if I express my views that I find homophobia abhorrent, am I therefore ‘creepy’?

Seems to me that this ‘creepy’ thing is something made up in the minds of certain posters who are just peed off that they no longer feel quite as comfortable posting their views on here. Diddums. Can’t take criticism, have no coherent, rational argument, can’t engage in a respectful and intelligent manner, so instead choose to resort to attempting to belittle others who have differing views to their own?

How very grown up….

Junkyard
    Free Member

nice closed loop there so if they respond it proves your point- quite weak
    I have not read the thread fully but 2 points
    1. were the actual women freaked out by the “freaky” men? – have they answered?
    2. Why are we generalising to assume this one [ possibly fake] female poster can speak for all women? Is it just because she agrees with you?

I know for a fact a number of the posters have met the females. Is it really that surprising they defended their mates?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

when the two female posters flounced, they received a number of sympathetic emails … offering them a shoulder to cry on

Houns

Nail on head flange. Nail on head

flange
    Free Member

Imagine that the friend of Clubber did exist and has read this post. I’m guessing, and this is only a guess, that she’s probably feeling pretty offended right now.

I bet if you ask Clubber nicely he’ll give you her email address so you can engage plan b….

flange
    Free Member

Can’t take criticism, have no coherent, rational argument, can’t engage in a respectful and intelligent manner, so instead choose to resort to attempting to belittle others who have differing views to their own?

Non-Coherent? irrational Argument? How so?

OP states that the way in which some posters ‘pretend to care’ comes across as creepy. I’m agreeing.

Well, I asked my friend Chantelle, right, and she din’t want to join the forum but she did give me this response to post here:

I ain’t into that mahntin biking, right, cos all you see is fat blokes wearing nasty cloves d’you nah wot I mean? I like men what are well buff an ting, innit? I ain’t going on no mahntin bike ride wiv all dem sad old gits cos dey is well butters.

That’s what she said. I’m not making it up or anything, honest
    [/quote]

A fine representation of ‘engaging in a respectful and intelligent manner’……

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If Clubber’s ‘friend’ indeed does actually exist, then surely she is free to come on here and express her own views, without you or anyone else needing to stick up for her or imagine she’s ‘offended’.

You’re actually quite amusing.

Completely wrong and deluded, but amusing nonetheless. Thanks for providing me with some light entertainment whilst I struggle with some 3-D exploded diagram thingy (oh someone do it for me please I’ve had enough bloody fiddly thing). 😀

A fine representation of ‘engaging in a respectful and intelligent manner’……

I’m giving this thread the respect it deserves…

flange
    Free Member

I’m giving this thread the respect it deserves…

Ah right, so you’ve deemed its ok to not be respectful of other peoples views on here because….well, because you say so.

Carry on, creep….

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 264 total)

The topic ‘Why aren't there more women posting on the forum? Some research’ is closed to new replies.