Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Why aren't ASR 5's selling like hotcakes?
  • vinnyeh

Still waiting hopefully for a link to the £1250 ASR5 on the classifieds..

chojin
    Free Member

I sold mine for less than £1250.
    That stung slightly…

njee20
    Free Member

however most some 26’er frames CAN fit 650B wheels

Not most at all.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Agree with bigjim. The ASR5 is a very capable bike. A great bike in fact. The only time I felt out of my depth was on the baby DH runs in Verbier. Which resulted in injury 🙂

Perfect for the UK. Just not ‘bang on trend’ anymore.

The reason for my sale is due to commitments not trends. Granted I have a steel 29er HT but this now suits me, my riding and when I get to ride. The Yeti has not been ridden since Aug ’13 for injury, baby, house reasons.

Am I being unrealistic asking for £2k for a 2nd hand bike? The spec is reasonably high. My logic; frame £1100, forks £300, wheels £200, reverb £150, Easton/Thomson/XT/XTR £250.

Someone please tell me the error of my ways 🙂

Northwind

hora – Member

most 26’er frames CAN fit 650B wheels.

Some can, with tiny tyres. Fewer can fit them with proper tyres, at which point you’re screwing up the geometry. All in all you have to be a mug to buy a 26 inch frame with the intent of fitting 650b wheels.

tonyd

I look forward to them being devalued even more so I can pick up a nice second hand ASR5c (frame only, in small) for peanuts. It’ll replace my alu frame which, since it won’t be worth anything, I’ll keep ‘just in case’.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The spec is reasonably high. My logic; frame £1100, forks £300, wheels £200, reverb £150, Easton/Thomson/XT/XTR £250.

You’d probably get more if you split it and sold it for parts.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I think that’s my next step mrblobby

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve got an ASR5, I plan to ride it until it’s dead, I’d guess that most people are the same.

Yup.

DT78
    Free Member

CRC *did* have lots more sizes when I was being tempted a fortnight ago. I think they were around the £1k mark, with that all important warranty.

I decided to keep my mark1 nomad when I looked at prices they were going for, and the fact its in brilliant condition for its age (combination of many bikes and Hampshire not really having terrain to challenge it…)

I might get a respray and pretend its a new bike….

bigjim

most 26’er frames CAN fit 650B wheels.

No chance of getting anything bigger than a 26″ wheel into my ASR5 frame without some kind of low profile tyre, there is jack all clearance as it is.

I’ve got an ASR5, I plan to ride it until it’s dead, I’d guess that most people are the same.

Me too

cookeaa

Most people are still riding around on 26 inch bikes. If you buy a new bike today it’ll have bigger wheels but that doesn’t imply people are happilly throwing money at a trend- it’s just the choice that you have now. A lot of people are pissed off about it though. It stopped me buying a new bike this year.

I think you get a distorted view of what’s what from internet forums, by definition we’re the enthusiasts but out in the wild 650b is still rare.

+1

I think a lot of people are still probably in a bit of a “holding pattern”, already owning very good (if a little Passe) 26″ bikes…

Those will keep going for a good long while as the MTB market settles down, and a bit of “life extension” for these old nags simply involves a few clicks on Merlin for a fresh Group/Brake/Wheelset and a not too steep bill Vs buying a whole new bike, or even buying a nice used frame and re-kitting that for a small fortune…

So when someone starts eyeing up a used ASR 5 frame for ~£500 they know they’ll end up spending at least three times as much again building it, at which point they start browsing what’s new in the world of ‘tweener wheeled bikes and decide that perhaps 18 months of simply saving, and riding what you already own isn’t such a terrible idea…

Used (and probably new) 26″ frames/bikes are a bit of a buyer’s market right now (IMO)…

davetrave
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Yup.

Yup +2, that’s why I specced my ASR5c as well as I did – I’d just come in to a windfall and it’s the “bike for life”.

julians
    Free Member

Am I being unrealistic asking for £2k for a 2nd hand bike? The spec is reasonably high. My logic; frame £1100, forks £300, wheels £200, reverb £150, Easton/Thomson/XT/XTR £250.

havent looked up prices for your other components, but you can (or rather could a month ago when I bought one) buy a brand new reverb for £160, so I’d say for a start your reverb price is 50% too high.

rudedog
    Free Member

They do sound high for second hand – what forks and wheels are they?

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s and interesting statement then to imply that the industry has devalued 26ers by introducing other sizes and/or implying specific use for the wheel sizes. Why then isn’t the everyday man up in arms about his devalued stock and happily throwing £1000’s into a forced market trend?

I took a bath when I sold my 26″ frames this year. I wouldn’t dream about getting “up in arms” about it, frankly I have bigger things to worry about.

And fortunately I’ve managed to replace them for around the same price with bikes that suit my new location better (and maybe a bit less blingy).

cchris2lou

I would not pay thousands for a frame or bike , secondhand in a private sale . in a shop , maybe as you ll get some sort of warranty .

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

@rudedog

Forks: 2013 Fox 32 Float 140 CTD QR15 Kashima – White
    Wheels: Hope Pro II Evo / Stans Flow wheel set – QR15 F / 142×12 R

curiousyellow
    Free Member

There are more capable bikes out there for 4 figures new?

Given the choice between £1250 for a used Yeti and £1600 for a new bike I’d rather save up and buy a new bike. You’ll probably get some people who *really* want one, and I was one of those a while back, but I’d struggle to justify it now.

rudedog
    Free Member

Forks: 2013 Fox 32 Float 140 CTD QR15 Kashima – White
    Wheels: Hope Pro II Evo / Stans Flow wheel set – QR15 F / 142×12 R

I dont think your prices are that high, but they dont really represent particularly good value either.

For example, I picked up a set of hope pro/flow wheels on ebay for £85 delivered last month. My brother got a set of reba world cup and roval al wheels on here for £200 combined. Maybe people know there are good deals to be had?

timbob78
    Free Member

If someone wants to sell me an ASR 5 frame in large for under £500 I’d be happy with one 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Why aren't ASR 5's selling like hotcakes?’ is closed to new replies.