Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Why aren't ASR 5's selling like hotcakes?
  • Kryton57

The cheaper frames couldn’t go fast enough 18 months ago, and everybody loves them. Yet frames and bikes in the classifieds appear not to sell, despite some very keen pricing.

So why is this? Is it because of a move to other sized wheels, or something else?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Having trouble selling one ?

Speeder

People not wanting to buy a Yeti without a warranty?

Kryton57

Ramsey Neil – Member
    Having trouble selling one?

Not yet…

mrblobby
    Free Member

How cheap? Probably not keen enough if they aren’t selling.

Getting on a bit now and no longer in the yeti range, and a few places doing cheap clearance deals on old stock too. Probably still quite a bit of cash SH and can see people holding on until new wheel sizes start hitting the second hand market.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Not enough middle aged IT consultants looking for them? 😮

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not enough middle aged IT consultants looking for them?

I doubt they frequent the classifieds. Too busy buying Santa Cruz with compromise wheel sizes. Much excitement in other threads about new colours apparently.

chakaping
    Free Member

Short travel 26″ bikes are about the hardest to sell at the moment, don’t get your hopes up for a big windfall.

You could try putting a stealth ad in the bike forum though?

😉

Nobby

Unfashionable wheel size doesn’t help – not that it has ever made them anything but great to ride.

Keep it.

Marmoset
    Free Member

Probably because Yeti have re-imagineered it to make it 6.2% better and everyone is waiting for that to be released to market.

I may just be cynical though…. 😆

Kryton57

Keep it.

As far as mines concerned it’s not up for sale pending an experiment with a layback seatpost.

But I’m just wondering why the reluctance now, I guess as you say the wheels/ bike is now out of fashion. You think £1250 for an XT/Thompson/fox/Stan’s 5″ bike as was in the classifieds last week would be a bargain for someone.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I find Pinkbike far better for selling bikes/frames than here.

DT78
    Free Member

Doesnt crc have cheap yeti frames at the moment?

Kryton57

Only one odd sized when I looked a few days ago.

hora
    Free Member

Wheelbase in Cumbria have one for £999. Very nice. I can see why people aren’t snapping them up – price. Asking £600+ for a frame that is nice but not ‘hot’ etc isn’t going to sell.

Theres a bloke selling a battered-one without a shock for £500 —>

Wow. I’d personally advertise that one at £250.

DezB
    Free Member

Definitely this for me. Although my 575 is way beyond warranty life (and the bastard won’t break!), I wouldn’t trust one of those carbon back end jobs without some back up.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You think £1250 for an XT/Thompson/fox/Stan’s 5″ bike as was in the classifieds last week would be a bargain for someone.

£500 for the frame (if that). What does the other £750 buy you?

core

120mm travel 26″ full susser frames – email me, I’m after one……..

Kryton57

You think £1250 for an XT/Thompson/fox/Stan’s 5″ bike as was in the classifieds last week would be a bargain for someone.

£500 for the frame (if that). What does the other £750 buy you?

You don’t think a fox float, entire XT group set, 2 x hope /crests and Thompson kit is worth £750? Or please feel free to highlight and equivalent bike rrp that you’d buy instead.

Out of interest – what would you be willing to pay for an asr5 at that spec?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Christ almighty

MAKE YOUR BLOODY MIND UP!

Kryton57

What’s your problem? I know what your referring to and his is an entirely different conversation. Please wind your neck in.

chakaping
    Free Member

Secondhand 26ers have to be really nice to get much over £1k now. Especially if a few years old.

That’s just how it is. No point getting your knickers in a twist about it.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

an entirely different conversation

Hmmm.

No offence meant, just banter – apologies for any offence caused. I’m enjoyng your ongoing procrastination. Really the ti hardtail is the root cause of your ‘problem’ though isn’t it?

Wheel size is the killer though. (sadly)

Kryton57

Fwiw chakaping I’m not. I’m just wondering if it’s 26″, and I only picked the yeti as I have one and therefore those have been catching my eye in the classifieds.

It’s and interesting statement then to imply that the industry has devalued 26ers by introducing other sizes and/or implying specific use for the wheel sizes. Why then isn’t the everyday man up in arms about his devalued stock and happily throwing £1000’s into a forced market trend?

Northwind

Speeder – Member

Must be a consideration tbh, I’d think twice about buying a Yeti with a warranty.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Can’t sell my ASR5C. Maybe due to wheelsize, high price for a 2nd hand bike, no warranty, time of year, etc, etc.

Advertised here without interest. Advertised on eBay with offers but when considering fees not enough. A full bike with lesser spec than mine sold for £2070 last week. So there is a market…..somewhere 🙂

Maybe I’m being unrealistic….

If it does not sell in the next few days I’ll try and sell via auction with reserved price and if not, strip and sell.

Kryton57

thestabiliser – Member
    an entirely different conversation
    Hmmm.

No offence meant, just banter – apologies for any offence caused. I’m enjoyng your ongoing procrastination. Really the ti hardtail is the root cause of your ‘problem’ though isn’t it?

I’m pretty much done with procrastination tbh. And not really as it’s not about the bike is it – Guy Martin came second in his first Strathpuffer riding not particular light pair of Orange bikes.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

You don’t think a fox float, entire XT group set, 2 x hope /crests and Thompson kit is worth £750? Or please feel free to highlight and equivalent bike rrp that you’d buy instead.

Out of interest – what would you be willing to pay for an asr5 at that spec?
    Depends how old it is,both the frame and the components,what wheels etc,but it would have to be pretty minty with “fresh” components to get anywhere near £1250.
    Average use, average condition,then about £900 give or take.
    Was it yours?
    There seemto be an increasing number of these grumbly stealth “for sale” threads masquerading as naive astonishment that someone’s pride and joy isn’t selling.
    Anyone want to buy a Ventana? No tyre kickers or silly offers!

Kryton57

Was it yours?

Nope.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s and interesting statement then to imply that the industry has devalued 26ers by introducing other sizes and/or implying specific use for the wheel sizes. Why then isn’t the everyday man up in arms about his devalued stock and happily throwing £1000’s into a forced market trend?

What every man? Shop owners? They hardly have any 26″ bikes left anyway, or the casual consumer, who is either getting rid of 26″ as fast as possible, or hoovering up the parts as others jump ship.

bails

Why then isn’t the everyday man up in arms about his devalued stock and happily throwing £1000’s into a forced market trend?

Because it’s a mountain bike, not a business investment that I expect to make a return for me?

I’ve got an ASR5, I plan to ride it until it’s dead, I’d guess that most people are the same. They buy a bike and they ride it. They’re not constantly monitoring the second hand market to determine the optimum time to sell or cursing ‘the industry’ for knocking £200 off the value of their used bike.

daftusername
    Free Member

Took weeks for me to sell this. Thought it was an absolute bargain too @£1,350

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/very-nice-yeti-asr-5-build-manchester-loads-of-pics

Kryton57

4-5 years ago you could apply the 80/20 rule to those who owned 26″ bikes. Now, some of those will have embraced 29er for specific reasons – like you did. But, what about those who had no need to buy a different wheels sized bike? The industry has basically said, “screw you, everything you invested in is worth sod all*”

This is different to an “I invested in the wrong thing” issue, no one made a silly decison buying a 26er they had no choice, so they’ve been pushed into a devalued market by the industry.

But then again, I guess not mtbs could be seen as an investment so is it fair to say they are effectively disposable?

*assuming you want to sell it.

Edit – a it late to respond.

Northwind

Kryton57 – Member

Why then isn’t the everyday man up in arms about his devalued stock and happily throwing £1000’s into a forced market trend?

Most people are still riding around on 26 inch bikes. If you buy a new bike today it’ll have bigger wheels but that doesn’t imply people are happilly throwing money at a trend- it’s just the choice that you have now. A lot of people are pissed off about it though. It stopped me buying a new bike this year.

I think you get a distorted view of what’s what from internet forums, by definition we’re the enthusiasts but out in the wild 650b is still rare.

vinnyeh

But I’m just wondering why the reluctance now, I guess as you say the wheels/ bike is now out of fashion. You think £1250 for an XT/Thompson/fox/Stan’s 5″ bike as was in the classifieds last week would be a bargain for someone.

I can’t find the ad for this. do you have a link?

hora
    Free Member

Why is it worth less if its 26’er?

I personally think the ASR’s selling ‘problems’ are alot bigger than its wheelsize.

A decent 26’er Santa Cruz will always find a buyer (or be switchable to 850b).

rOcKeTdOg

As Cotic said “26 ain’t dead” it’s just not worth much

Why is it worth less if its 26’er?

Really? Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you really that out of touch with current “fashions/trends/forced marketing strategies?

Del

i know someone who’s broken three ally rear triangles. all in the same place. no ta.

bigjim

I think the double whammy of buying an expensive framed bike with no warranty and the ‘quiet’ future of 26″ would put a lot of people off, however if you’re prepared to go without warranty and be a few % less enduro than everyone else on 160mm 27.5 bikes in the car park then its a hell of a great bike for not much money.

i know someone who’s broken three ally rear triangle

obviously isn’t an ASR5 then…

hora
    Free Member

Really? Are you being deliberately obtuse or are you really that out of touch with current “fashions/trends/forced marketing strategies?

If customers historically struggled with 26″ wheels, they never felt quite right etc then I could understand the need to get rid/people to desert the size however most 26’er frames CAN fit 650B wheels. So they aren’t redundant- ontop of this alot of 26’er frames are proven/good secondhand purchases.

The rush for 650b is driven by people wanting new frame/bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Why aren't ASR 5's selling like hotcakes?’ is closed to new replies.