Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Why are the irish always shown to be a bit thick….
  • toys19
    Free Member

PMSL! You’ve been to Bundoran!

The only town where West Belfast Black Taxis take their hols…….

It wasn’t there, although I have been to Bundoran. Yuck. Like a pimple on blackpools bum.

What did they say to you toys19, you British bastard?

Pretty much exactly that you papist fahk.

SST
    Free Member

In Greece they tell jokes about “thick Turks”, here in SA – well it’s either “black” or the equivalent to an “irishman” would be a “Van Der Merwe” pronounced Van Der Merva joke.

Isn’t it just like blonde jokes though? Not all blondes are thick. Maybe not even a majority? 😉

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That all the tick f****rs live in South Wales as I’ve never heard of those jokes in North Wales

That reminds me, why “gogs and wogs” for North and South Wales?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toys19
    Free Member

Dunno about wogs but gogs is derived from the welsh for north, can’t accurately remember the word is it gogglydd? So I assume wogs might be from south?

markenduro
    Free Member

Think it could relate to the way some of the original labourers that came over here to build most of our infrastructure were not highly educated. Most of the people leaving now in the current exodus are all leaving with degrees and a much higher skill level in general, so hopefully the thick Irish ‘jokes’ will finally get put to bed.

There are still a few parts of Ireland which make father ted look like it was a documentary though….

molgrips
    Free Member

Gog = gogledd = north.

toys19
    Free Member

Ahh I knew it had two D’s at the end..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Any country that’s spent so long fighting their own countymen over 2 sides of the same religion and weather to be united or divided has to be a bit stupid.

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Er, PP.. I think there’s some debate as to whether or not they are actually fellow countrymen..!

toys19
    Free Member

Any country that’s spent so long fighting their own countymen over 2 sides of the same religion and weather to be united or divided has to be a bit stupid.

Hmm that shows your ignorance of what has happened, and is spelling a measure of intelligence? Whether…

ton

apologies to anyone i offended posting this…………including you Brian……. 😀
    it was not posted as a troll.

El-bent
    Free Member

They are a bit thick. Look at what they’ve done to their economy, they should have taken a lesson from us brits in economics.

Oh, hang on a minute…

DezB
    Free Member

I asked Ton’s question to my parents back when I was a young nipper. We used to watch “The Comedians” on ITV.
    The answer sort of made sense to me (well it must’ve done, because it’s stuck with me to this day) and it’s what PP says.
    Maybe it shows my parent’s ignorance or not, I don’t know (my mum was brought up in South Africa and is quite racist (if you can be “quite” racist!)), but warring over religion is seemed stupid to me when I was a kid. Doesn’t seem any cleverer now to be honest.

grum
    Free Member

Fairly standard colonial trait of dehumanising/degrading your subjects in order to justify the colonisation – ‘civilising’ the savages etc. That and many people’s only experience of Irish people was badly educated itinerant workers.

What we have now is the tail-end of that legacy IMO.

I used to work for an Irish guy, a builder, believe it or not, and his usual response to Irish jokes was “If the Irish are so thick, how come I can come over here and have 20 of you English funkers working for me ?”

Nobby

MrsToast
    Free Member

It’s interesting when you know people from different countries that they all have similar jokes about their neighbours – someone already mentioned the Dutch/Belgian rivalry, but I’ve also heard ‘Irish’ style jokes from Indians about Pakistanis, Newzealanders about Aussies, Swedes about the Finnish, etc.

kilo

Think it could relate to the way some of the original labourers that came over here to build most of our infrastructure were not highly educated.

An Irishman goes for a job on a building site and the gaffer says “Paddy as you micks are all a bit thick I’ll have to test you before you can have the job. What’s the difference between a joist and a girder?”

The Irishman thinks for a second and replies ” Sure that’s easy joist wrote Ulysses and girder wrote Faust.”

I’ll get my coat

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Prejudice and stereotyping are the reasons that Irish people are usually portrayed as being thick. Hope that helps answer your question.

yunki
    Free Member

Prejudice and stereotyping are the reasons that Irish people are usually portrayed as being thick

..and ‘cos they’re fat and they stink

duckman

Dunno if it has been said, but a lot of the British “intervention” in Ireland was justified by suggesting the Irish were savages, think the Highland Clearances of the sullen,benighted,backward Scots on a far greater,harsher scale.I would suggest this is why we have a lingering series of jokes about the Irish. Made it easier to explain the treatment of them for 200 years.

philconsequence
    Free Member

one word answer the the OP’s question:

Jedward.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Jebward are having the biggest laugh though as they are earning buckets of cash.

I do like the Irish builders joke

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Why are the irish always shown to be a bit thick….’ is closed to new replies.