Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 333 total)
  • why are SUV's so much more popular than estates ?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True for Beemers Cpn – cant get a cello in the back of a Beemer estate apparently! No probs in a boring old VXC70 workhorse!

I am always surprise how

…IME bot space is often disappointing in an SUV
    …the number of high end versions in state school car parks….hmm, what should I spend my money on, a depreciating lump of metal or education? Tough choice…. 😉

Safety?? How much of that is a myth? Wife’s ex colleague/client suffered watching his family die as their RR overturned on the way back from holiday through his rear view mirror many years ago. Have they sorted out the high centre of gravity issue?

Drac

Don’t think fashion comes into it the mass produced market?

This is a windup surely?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I genuinely don’t understand this SUV is easier for kids. Why don’t SUV owners drive people carrirers or vans with windows?

A Berlingo is easy for kids and has the high seating but I’d guess many SUV owners would sneer at that.

When looking at car’s we got to a Berlingo this was the GF’s reaction.

“I’m not the ****ing Pope, and I don’t intend to drive the f****** Pope, and I don’t want to look like I’m driving the f*****g pope in a ******* spacky waggon, OK”

You say ‘image’, some say ‘fashion’, other’s say ‘style’, but you’ve got to admit, they’re so ugly you could beat them with a stick and it’d be an improvement. As an MPV owner I sneer at you in your berlingo a lot less than you apparently sneer at everyone else. You might really not care about such things, but for everyone else spending several £k on something, it matters at least a little bit.

Having said that, the C-max is unforgivably ugly too.

jambalaya
    Free Member

the number of high end versions in state school car parks….hmm, what should I spend my money on, a depreciating lump of metal or education? Tough choice…

Now now TMH. You’d have to be driving a new Ferrari every 2 years to spend what it takes to put 2 kids through school

The X models are generally a chunk more money than the same sized estates.

Cost of the 4wd system ?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Marketing pure and simple and it’s been hugely effective. The sports and luxury car market was in decline amongst affluent women and older wealthy men in the late 70’s and when RR launched it was a hit with them. Marketing got into it and that was that. It’s taken 30 years but now if you want to be perceived as affluent it’s an SUV for you and guess what, many do want to be perceived as exactly that.

13thfloormonk

it’s an image thing

Maybe for some, personally I hated the ‘image’ of SUVs, but two herniated discs in I’m not taking any chances.

Although have a soft spot for those massive Volvo estates, CX70s are they?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Americans tend to drive pick-ups.

http://online.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2_3022-autosales.html

‘crossovers’ (soft-roaders, whatever you want to call them, as distinct from SUV which is reserved as a term for actual 4×4’s in the US) outsell pickups 2:1. And cars still outsell pickus 3:1.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Safety?? How much of that is a myth?

Dunno, but it’s a bloody enduring one if it is. Brings to mind a conversation with an erstwhile friend’s wife when I was ripping the piss over them buying a RAV4 years (we’re talking well over ten, when SUVs weren’t such a thing) ago. (At the time there was a bit of hoo-ha over who’s safest…the high seated occupants, the owners of smaller cars hit by SUVs, the child’s face that gets hit on the zebra crossing, etc etc.) Her last comment was along the lines of “Well, when it comes down to it, what I really care about is MY safety and the safety of MY kids. Everybody else’s is not that important to me.” Incredibly selfish I thought, but probably far more common in people’s minds when choosing cars than we’d like to admit. So…if the perception that they’re safer is out there, and it is, and probably perpetuated by car salesmen, then the uninformed will make their decisions based on myths.

Del

higher seating position gives better view of the road, however this is offset by higher CoG which ( physics would suggest ) gives reduced ability to corner or stop.
    guess the upshot is that if you’re paying attention and/or nothing too unexpected happens too quickly you’re just fine, but if things go really sideways fast you might have the skills of a scandinavian rally driver, but you’re more likely to hit something.
    i guess the thinking goes that if you hit something smaller you’ll be better off, and hit something same size or bigger and the results will be much the same.
    personally i’d rather not have the accident at all, but i drive a van.

CaptainSlow

iainc – Member
    CaptainSlow – Member
    OP. just to point out in BMWs case, the X series cars are bigger than the non X
    Eg 320 tourer boot 495 v x3 550

yes, but an X3 costs the same as a 5 Tourer, which has loads more space. The 3 Tourer is similar price to an X1.

The X models are generally a chunk more money than the same sized estates.

The 5 series tourer has a 520 boot v the x3s 550…

konabunny
    Free Member

dragon – Member
    Blame women…

Usual STW forum response to just about every problem from Isis to the smell of whatshisname’s police car.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s a euphemism for Fatcher, KB

andeh

I reckon the volume figures for the boots are larger as the roof is higher. I imagine the actual boot footprint is smaller.

Went for an estate over an SUV as it had more usable space, faster, more economical, looked nicer, didn’t want everyone to think I was a trophy wife, in that order. Plus, as everyone wants SUVs, the used estate market is great at the moment!

petrieboy

I expect the bulk of it is because “that’s what the manufacturers are building”

We have a Passat estate for commuting and a Caravelle as a family car so it’s all about dull practicality for me, but it’s only good stuff that other people not so incumbered can choose from more interesting and stylish vehicles.

grum
    Free Member

Selfishness is increasingly lauded in our society – ergo SUVs are more and more popular.

Safety??

Safety for the passengers – less safety for everyone else.

Drac

Usual STW forum response to just about every problem from Isis to the smell of whatshisname’s police car.

It’s more a typical Dragon response.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

I drive an SUV because I want too, deal with it.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Safety for the passengers

But not necessarily, that’s my point.

Strip away the badge and which maker has the best looking combination?

IMO – VW, the Toureg had the best proportions IMO and the version parked next to me yesterday looked very nice inside. Plus the Passat is always agood looking if under-rated estate. Nice combo…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Strip away the badge and which maker has the best looking combination?

Humvee? 😀 (Or is Hummer…can’t remember…)

Drac

I drive an SUV because I want too

At last a sensible reply.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not to the OP’s question.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m “in the trade” this week I have sold 2 cars we took in chop PX, one was an X1, awful looking thing, open the bonnet & you can see how they use spacers to bulk the body away from a standard chassis to give it it’s size, the other a year old RR sport 5.0V8, it was just shy of £100k new, 7 seater my arse, the Zafira I owned 15 years ago had better & cleverer rear seats (barring the electric bit), best bit is someone payed over £30,000 to own it for a year & do 7000 miles, they should of just hired a chauffeur!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keqYnxVaOXU[/video]

Drac

At last a sensible reply.

Maybe Larry is the trend setter.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Captain slow boot volume is a bit misleading. The x is bigger because it’s got a higher roof which doesn’t translate really to usable space, in terms of floor area.

rone

This is a windup surely?

Badly put.

I mean if something is so popular/common it ceases to become exclusive enough to be fashionable.

v8ninety

Image? The only image they suggest to me is that the driver is daft;* choosing a car which is fundementally less capable at almost everything (except entering a field apparently, if it’s even actually 4×4) than its ‘normal’ estate equivalent, and paid more for the privilege, both up front and in fuel economy. My (half baked) theory is that people like them because they look like tonka like, and are almost cartoon caricature versions of ‘normal’ cars, all big wheels and fat curves. This appeals to people on an almost subliminal level, I reckon. They look like real life versions of those car cartoons that used to be all the rage.

*medical reasons excluded. I totally get that reason, but it’s quite rare I reckon

rone

I think it’s more telling like that it would even bother one individual that someone else would choose a car that suits them.

Fashion and marketing for god’s sake. I’ve heard it all. All new cars are subject to these factors.

I think I will just start disliking cars with a sunroof.

mrhoppy

I bought a yeti to replace my octavia estate because it’s easy to get the bikes inside after having bikes stolen off the roof of the car. So far I’ve done 3 bikes and the bike trailer with just the front wheels out and three people in. The additional height in the roof makes it more versatile. The removable seats make loading easier and packing with seat down safer for the person in the back seat.

It is easier to put a child in and out of a car seat, wasn’t hard in the octy but easier in the yeti.

It is also cheaper due to higher residuals and is only doing about 10% less in terms of mpg. The difference in fuel cost is less than the difference in finance cost.

rone

Interesting Mr Hoppy I got a yeti ‘cos it was a good lease deal for a lot of car however I will concede for me putting the bike on the roof is hard work and this scores it down a bit over an estate.

It is however a much nicer drive than either my previous Octavia and Fabia, and much cheaper to insure.

jambalaya
    Free Member

he other a year old RR sport 5.0V8, it was just shy of £100k new, 7 seater my arse, the Zafira I owned 15 years ago had better & cleverer rear seats (barring the electric bit), best bit is someone payed over £30,000 to own it for a year & do 7000 miles, they should of just hired a chauffeur

Bought a Macan and sold it for more than they paid for it 😀

@mrhoppy – top post 🙂

I guess one important point is whether you are prepared to put your bikes on the outside of the car. Personally I am not as I don’t want the bike jet blasted at 70mph by dirt and water.

andy8442
    Free Member

Image. Simple as that. “Look at me up here. I’m better than you”

jambalaya
    Free Member

“Look at me up here. I’m better than you”

[video]http://youtu.be/K2k1iRD2f-c[/video]

CountZero

There does seem to an SUV version of all models now though.

mrhoppy

And I really dislike the image/ styling. I’d much rather have bought another estate but the SUV body style is far more practical.

grum
    Free Member

Fashion and marketing for god’s sake. I’ve heard it all. All new cars are subject to these factors.

Really? I drive a Berlingo. 😀

tinybits
    Free Member

We bought a Touareg to replace an A6 estate. It goes better, bigger boot, handles almost as well, more room across the back seat (room for 1 adult I between the kids seats) and importantly will drive across a muddy field that’ll have and 4×4 estate floundering. How often is that used? I’d guess a couple of times a week, but clearly that wouldn’t be the case if I lived in London! Oh, and it’ll tow 3 ton trailers which comes in handy when your other half is into horses and you have a penchant for gliders. So for me, it’s a practicality thing but why are quite so many? Fashion. I also suspect that the typical Chelsea tractor driver isn’t going to give too much of a toss what people on a cycling forum think about what it says on the style front….

To balance it out, I got a 1 series today….

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

What exactly is an SUV?

Drac

Really? I drive a Berlingo.

I don’t think he understands how fashion works. How can all cars be fashionable?

garage-dweller

Selfish upstart’s vehicle?

rone

Image. Simple as that. “Look at me up here. I’m better than you”

Seriously?

I can’t imagine why anyone would think this. It’s an SUV, there are loads of them. They’re not exclusive at all.

It’s just possible that people might actually like them.

Not all are good but some are.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 333 total)

The topic ‘why are SUV's so much more popular than estates ?’ is closed to new replies.