Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Why are so many schools shut?
  • toby1

I’m surprised that my office seems to be at full strength today, I guess the lack of school kids on the roads helped!

I remember maybe 1 snow day ever, and yes that was boiler related. It was a Catholic school, Jesus protected the kids and teachers alike 🙂
    I used to walk most days – snow days were just a bit colder to walk in!

trb
    Free Member

My kids school was closed on friday – partly because someone phone in a hoax call to local radio and hence it was announced on the radio that it was closed.

Anyway in order to open today the school appealed to parents to help clear the paths and entrances, so I spent a hour up there last night clearing snow. Now I can feel smug in the knowledge that I did a little to help while 99% of the whingers have done nothing but whinge and moan.

bwaarp
    Free Member

f the rest of us can get to work why can’t teachers?
    Also, why should parents get a ‘free’ day off just because the schools are closed? If I just decided not to come to work I would have to take it as a holiday, they should too. It really irks me that the rest of us have cover for parents all the time, because the little dears school is shut or the little darling has a poorly tummy, and they feel entitled to take a day off, while the rest of us struggle in. Two poeple in my office didn’t make it today, one becuase the school was shut, so she’s legally entitled to have a day off because of childcare problems, (Tough. It’s a school, not a glorified baby-sitter) the other couldn’t make it because of the roads where she lives but has had to take a days holiday.
    And don’t get me started on maternity holiday, they can take the best part of a year off, paid, (and still accrue holiday entitlement while they are off!) and then decide not to return to work, seen this done here many times. There shouyld be a law which says if they leave before, for example, 2yrs after returning to work they should have to pay back the maternity pay.
    Rant over. Probably failed due to lack of random capitals.

My old mans school shut because of the bus and taxi companies refusing to bring the children in, he can get to work quite easily but they told him not to come in because there’s sod all to do.

Why the **** should he have pay docked again if it’s beyond his control? Also, perhaps if you paid more taxes we could afford more snow clearing equipment like the Canadians and some more local, less centralized and better bloody day care centers. Or or….business could take sodding responsibility for children and have more of their own daycare centers and get a tax rebate for it instead of being socially responsible and dodging tax.

I’d say a few other things as to how I regard your post but I’d get banned.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Anybody off work here has to take the day as annual leave or unpaid. If your work pays people it’s a problem with your work policy not the fact schools are closed

bwaarp
    Free Member

Anybody off work here has to take the day as annual leave or unpaid. If your work pays people it’s a problem with your work policy not the fact schools are closed

Or if your work doesn’t pay you because they closed despite your ability to get in, then it’s your problem you were stupid enough to sign a contract that stated they wouldn’t pay you in those circumstances.

Should have got a better job shouldn’t you! I know full well that a few of my mates who have been clever enough to sign contracts where by they’re paid for contracts on rigs when the things have been closed/the helis have been unable to get them out….or they’re paid overtime if they can’t get off the things. Funny, if your good….you tend to get decent contracts in the private industry with decent perks.

firestarter
    Free Member

Andrewh what is this legally entitled to a day off for childcare issues you speak of?

I’m off today luckily but back tomorrow. last snow day my Mrs was away in London for a police training course and I had to ring in as school shut. I had to take a days leave and had to put my dress uniform on for telling off from the big bosses at hq about my poor planning on the childcare front ?? Apparently my lack of forethought was a danger to the general public in my station area 🙁 they also questioned why her work took priority to mine despite the fact she was in London and we live in Leeds and the school was announced shut half hour before I started work.

This is after having never been allowed a day off for childcare issues before and the Mrs having to take time off every time something happens, she actually is allowed 4 childcare days which don’t come off her entitlement where as I’m allowed none

Fookers)

bokonon
    Free Member

The centralisation and privatisation of services is a significant issue – the school dinners service for some of the schools round here is all done at one school – this one is shut, meaning that the others either have to shut as well, or sort out the school meals – once it’s all sold off to the highest bigger, and all the schools are done through one company this will only get worse.

grantway
    Free Member

simple incase of insurance claims

totalshell

my kids primary school is open.. but they can only use the main gate and front doors they are not allowed at playtime or lunchtime.. no snow has being cleared.. except for a patch 4 feet by twelve that is occupied by the head teachers merc.

according to ofsted the average salary in the school is just under 37k.. you can buy a row of house for that in rochdale so i’d hope that the head from bolton and his other live away staff could afford 4wd to ensure my kids continued uninterrupted education.

bwaarp
    Free Member

according to ofsted the average salary in the school is just under 37k.. you can buy a row of house for that in rochdale so i’d hope that the head from bolton and his other live away staff could afford 4wd to ensure my kids continued uninterrupted education.

Again, how many times do you guys need things banging into your heads… that’s not generally the problem. It’s the ability of the children to get into school. This could be cured by better state funding of infrastructure and school transport.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“according to ofsted the average salary in the school is just under 37k”

skewed wildly – by the heads salarys and heads of department.

russianbob
    Free Member

I dare say that those people that complain about schools shutting in due to snow also complain when schools won’t allow them to take their kids out in term time to go on a cheaper holiday. You can’t have it both ways.

Drac

I dare say that those people that complain about schools shutting in due to snow also complain when schools won’t allow them to take their kids out in term time to go on a cheaper holiday. You can’t have it both ways.

Apparently not no as we’ve been told even missing one day can have an effect on their education. So my youngest who school is not serviced by any buses and most live with 1/2 mile of the school is closed. My eldest’s which is part of the same academy is open and is serviced by buses. Makes no sense.

russianbob
    Free Member

Apparently not no as we’ve been told even missing one day can have an effect on their education. So my youngest who school is not serviced by any buses and most live with 1/2 mile of the school is closed. My eldest’s which is part of the same academy is open and is serviced by buses. Makes no sense.

You’re right. It’ll be lazy teachers. The ones that start and 9, finish at 3, have 13 weeks holiday a year and get paid £37K, of your money.

Drac

Where did I say that?

scruff
    Free Member
    Rscott
    Free Member

I live in upper denby, the school is closed yet the attachment area for the school is upper denby/lower denby. 1 mile. In summer you see the parents droping there kids at school one even drives less than 20meters (they live next door) in a range rover sport over finch every day.

however not one of the teachers lives local, the only caterer that lives local is my mother, and the main road wasn’t plowed or gritted till around 2 hours ago.we had around afoot of snow,last night on top of 10 inches the day/night before.

I dont blame anyone who deosn’t want to risk damaging there car in this weather or themself for not going out after all have you seen the price of insurance.

Drac

Dave360 must be library photos reports of 6′ drifts are coming in from Rothbury so be interesting to see what the ranges are liked.

Look 1 school bus slipped.

hitman
    Free Member

Some people seem to really hate teachers!

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Why are so many schools shut?’ is closed to new replies.