Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Why are movies and TV shows so dark?
  • johnx2
    Free Member

(something about Rubens and then multiple link fails to battle of phaeton. Nothing to see here, aptly enough)

Drac

Well my TV has had a firmware update a few minutes ago, reading the details one of the improvements is local dimming being tweaked to work better with dark scenes. Have to say it’s made a very noticeable difference.

AlexSimon

Most compression algorithms get rid of detail in the near black and near white first (similar to audio compressing the extremes more too).
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the Blu-Ray version of GoT looks beautiful.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Blu-Ray version of GoT looks beautiful.

I’m not watching it now and waiting for the bluray for just that reason.

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’m in the minority of people whom didn’t have a problem with th darkness of Got, or other programmes for that matter (Luther got a lot of complaints too).

I always calibrate my tv sets using proper equipment, and use different modes for time of day/type of movie etc. Game of thrones was beautiful and perfectly visible (for what the director wanted viewers to see)

maccruiskeen

He could have evolved the storytelling even more by showing us what actually happened.

I was involved in the making of a Glasgow-based horror film many moons (appropriately) ago. An early foray into shooting direct to digital with new-fangled cameras.

Unfortunately -given a very modest distribution- it meant there wasn’t a physical print and not many cinemas had digital projectors that were any great shakes.

I went to see it at the GFT on their elderly Bahco video projector that was about the size of a car and had  quite bleached out LCDs.

All the dark, moody, twighlghtly, action was just lost – when you’ve only got is dark so much light is leaking through the LCDs that ‘dark’ looks light – so we were just looking a dimly lit rectangle. After a short while you noticed the rest of the audience looking at each other in bemusement wondering why they were in a cinema listening to a radio play.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

pity the poor fools that were watching GoT on NowTV !

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Why are movies and TV shows so dark?’ is closed to new replies.