Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Why are gravel bikes so heavy ?
  • kerley
    Free Member

Christ make a few observations and your branded a”Troll”

You are either really struggling to understand something very basic or you are deliberately keeping people going, which is it?

Can you understand that the only really differences between an MTB and a gravel bike are forks, tyres and a bit of frame material.  That difference is typically 2-3 kg.  All the other parts can be the same or very similar with no real difference in weight.

The fact you are expecting a gravel bike to be light is irrelevant, it weighs what it does in perspective to the MTB (and a road bike) for the same cost.  You could build a gravel bike that weighs 6kgs and you would then think wow that is light for a gravel bike.  The next thing you wouldn’t understand is why does that gravel bike cost £8000

plus-one

Evidence ? Quoting manufacturers weights is not evidence.

Ok some gravel bikes are heavier than others as are all bikes. I’m just surprised some big hitters are turning out pretty heavy bikes for a fair wedge of cash £1500-£2000 when few cheaper ones are more heft friendly.

Lighter bike is always more pleasant to ride over long periods.

onandon
    Free Member

Title of thread –
    <h1 class=”post-title”>Why are gravel bikes so heavy.</h1>

in conclusion, they aren’t.

why are sub £1000 bikes so heavy.

in conclusion, they aren’t.

so to summarise.  Bikes can be heavy or light and cost doesn’t necessarily dictate the outcome.

thread closed……………………

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Evidence ? Quoting manufacturers weights is not evidence.

All of the weights I quoted were from reviews.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/factory-outlet/category.html#category=road-bikes&id=26411

£1,439, 8.9kgs. That’s pretty respectable I’d have thought?

kerley
    Free Member

I’m just surprised some big hitters are turning out pretty heavy bikes for a fair wedge of cash £1500-£2000 when few cheaper ones are more heft friendly.

You must be surprised at a high number of things on a daily basis.

Northwind

Is it not because lots of people who buy gravel bikes don’t really want it to be good? It’s like my old rigid xc bike, it was interestingly shit. Why put a lot of effort into making your interestingly shit bike good? Eventually it might even stop being shit and then where are you?

13thfloormonk

See also my thread abput the Cinelli Zydeco, £1500 and mmanufacturer’s stated weight for a medium is 10.4kg without pedals, so easily 11kg for a large with pedals.

My £1300 Trek Superfly is 10.8kg on the scales with pedals, although that’s also with relatively light CX tyres and latex tubes and an upgraded XT cassette.

So a cheaper bike, WITH Rebas is lighter than a more expensive gravel/cx bike.

The conclusion on that thread was that you’re paying a premium for the Cinelli logo, but I reckon overall ypu pay a premium for ‘gravel’ but also for road discs/hydraulic STIs.

plus-one

13thfloormonk at least grasps what I’m on about !! Aye the canyon will be ok till frame breaks 🙁

Just figured folks buying into gravel/fast off road would enjoy it more if most companies churned out a reasonable weight bike without charging silly money.

Canyon is a road bike ?

plus-one

Aye I’m surprised how many folks on here are either in denial/got shafted with an overly heavy gravel bike 😉

Kryton57

Well my bike was only £995, but despite its weight im happy itll cope with more varied terrain than my road bike and be infinately more comfortable and faster over long distance on the  road than my mtb.  And guess what, i dont need to fettle with it pre ride to do either of those, its always ready go.

kerley
    Free Member

Aye I’m surprised how many folks on here are either in denial/got shafted with an overly heavy gravel bike

I like light bikes (the bike I ride on gravel weighs 7.2kg) but to a lot of people a kg here or there won’t matter at all so I don’t think they have been shafted.  And again, they are only heavy in your confused view of it.

Just figured folks buying into gravel/fast off road would enjoy it more if most companies churned out a reasonable weight bike without charging silly money.

10kg for a £1000 gravel bike is a reasonable weight.  It only seems to be you that has some lower figure in mind based on ‘just because’.  And the single example with the Superfly is bogus as 1kg could have been dropped by switching to light CX tyres and an XT cassette.  Drop the same weight from the Cinelli with upgrades and it will weigh 9.8kg so still lighter

13thfloormonk

‘Tis a fair point actually, maybe I *should* just listen to my inner hipster and get that Cinelli…

kerley
    Free Member

The hipster will be waiting for the MASH version so you are safe with a Cinelli.

joemmo
    Free Member

Isn’t this all a bit like asking why mountain bikes are all a bit heavy? There’s quite a spectrum in this segment from road bikes with a little more tyre clearance to dual wheel size bikes that are being sold as nearly-mountainbikes. I’d imagine that some of the latter have to pass MTB CEN certification which must require a certain amount of beef in the frame.

plus-one

So to summarise.

Most gravel bikes are indeed heavy.

Big manufacturers are ripping us off.

Some folks are still bitter after being sucked into the fat bike fad.

kerley
    Free Member

So to summarise, plus one is a complete troll.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Why are gravel bikes so heavy ?’ is closed to new replies.