Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Why are Easton Carbon road rims so expensive? This is why…
  • GrahamS

Easton video showing the six hour process of building a carbon rim:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxTWSTo2_4Q[/video]

Nice.

MSP

Shame they only spend 3 mins on the hubs.

chief9000
    Free Member

Propaganda. The 7 hrs is not actual touch time. it should also include curing and other processes when no one is actually touching it. If it was 7 hrs of actual labour time I would say that easton are very poor at their job.

What I would draw your attention to is that they bark on about two operations being carried out in separate rooms to avoid contamination. However you will notice that the operator laying up the material is doing so with no gloves. This is a number one school boy error and really shows poor knowledge and quality control on their part. Gloves should should always be worn. Firstly to stop the laminate being contaminated with oil from the operators hand, secondly (and some might say most importantly) to protect the worker from the uncured epoxy resin, which is really very bad.

So if you had an easton wheel fail and don’t know why, it just could be for this reason.

Sandwich

Given they are made in Mexico with depressed labour rates compared to USA the price is a function of what they think the market will stand rather than the construction method.

richmars

chief9000 beat me to it re gloves.
    Not just grease from hands, but bits of skin. What’s the point of doing it in a clean room it you don’t wear gloves? I wouldn’t buy one based on that video.

ninfan
    Free Member

I like how the wheelbuilders who are supposedly balancing the tension by sound are all listening to music on headphones…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Shame they only spend 3 mins on the hubs.

Spat my Leffe out 😆

stevede
    Free Member

Lol at MSP also!!!!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy one based on that video.

I wouldn’t buy them based on the price.

compositepro
    Free Member

Sod that you should see the prices of carbon fibre furniture…

Shorty121
    Free Member

Listening to spoke tension with headphones on lol

bigrich

my mate raced round the world on a set. they’re tough enough.

trevron73
    Free Member

i wouldn’t get recommendations on sandwich fillings from you lot?cracking company cracking wheels,what do you produce hot air and sticky hands -yes troll leave it i dare ya ?

rOcKeTdOg

what do you produce hot air and sticky hands -yes troll leave it i dare ya ?

i tried google translate but it couldn’t help

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Both of those guys were wearing the same type of Sennheisser headphones – maybe they were supplied by the company and connected to a trasnducer so they could hear the spoke tension “ping” above all the other nosies going on in the factory?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

wouldn’t get recommendations on sandwich fillings from you lot?cracking company cracking wheels,what do you produce hot air and sticky hands -yes troll leave it i dare ya ?

its very possible I’ve misunderstood your post, but Easton are such a terrific company the UK importer Extra dropped them as they were so sick of dealing with wheel warranty claims…

my mate raced round the world on a set. they’re tough enough

well thats statistically significant….

GrahamS

Always naysaying! 😆

Who knew we had so many carbon fibre manufacturing experts on here?

You’ll be telling me this isn’t the proper way to make a disc wheel next:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAEze4nMyE[/video]

richmars

Not at all, but a few people who know the correct processes for gluing things, which applies if you’re making carbon wheels or something less interesting.

swanky
    Free Member

its very possible I’ve misunderstood your post, but Easton are such a terrific company the UK importer Extra dropped them as they were so sick of dealing with wheel warranty claims…

Only to be picked up by Zyro 🙂

You know, that little company based up North near Downton Abbey country……with a distribution channel into pretty much every LBS in the country.

I’d say Easton landed on their feet with that one, wouldn’t you?

chief9000
    Free Member

There are never enough experts to counter the fools who believe everything they hear from marketing departments…

GrahamS

I think you might be calling me a fool? 😕

I just thought it was an interesting video is all – lots of folk on here have expressed interest in previous workshop and manufacturing videos.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Well I liked the video Graham. It may be marketing BS and they might be doing things wrong according to the experts on here but I still found it quite interesting.

I also liked the disc wheel one but the music was annoying.

Any advantages to disc wheels for mountain bikes?

Just wondered

bruneep

Any advantages to disc wheels for mountain bikes?

No annoying branches in spokes when in the forest would be 1

compositepro
    Free Member

I just thought it was an interesting video is all – lots of folk on here have expressed interest in previous workshop and manufacturing videos.

A german messing about in a shed…they are often genius

there was this other bloke used to mess about in his shed in fact he encouraged a whole load of other folks to do it too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Rutan

chief9000
    Free Member

I think you might be calling me a fool?

Hahaha sorry mate 😆

GrahamS

Not entirely sure how the guy with the homemade disc wheel actually pumps up his tyres now.. or trues the wheel. Or indeed if the aerodynamic advantage is greater than the extra weight of a can of PU foam.

But you know, top marks for effort 😀

If you like Germans messing about in sheds, with crap music, then this guy “testing” a carbon, alu and steel frame is for you:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63bmVpck[/video]

richmars

GrahamS,
    No, not calling you a fool, and yes, the video was interesting, they just make the point of how hi tech it all is, but then make some basic errors that a few people spotted.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Swanky, not sure what relevance your high opinion of zyro has to my comment? I was highlighting the massive issues Easton have had with their hubs which drove the previous importer to distraction, when trevron suggested all naysayers were trolls. I’ve got loads of Easton kit but they dropped the ball with their wheels.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Swanky, not sure what relevance your high opinion of zyro has to my comment? I was highlighting the massive issues Easton have had with their hubs which drove the previous importer to distraction, when trevron suggested all naysayers were trolls. I’ve got loads of Easton kit but they dropped the ball with their wheels.

You seem to think Extra dropped Easton, more like the other way round I think. Easton is owned by the same company as Giro and Bell and I’ve been told by a reliable source that they wanted everything under one roof after they dropped Madison.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I know someone at Extra, I know what a nightmare the Easton hub issues were and am glad I passed on the ‘opportunity’ to have some at mates rates. Unless trevron meant “cracking wheels” literally of course…

butterbean
    Free Member

Haha. I’ve heard it all now!

You couldn’t be further from the truth, but carry on 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Why are Easton Carbon road rims so expensive? This is why…’ is closed to new replies.