Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Why are earphones/earbuds ear specific?
  • SaxonRider

I am sitting at my desk listening to spotify, and have just realised that I put the ‘r’ earphone in my left ear and vice versa, and that I have neither died, nor noticed any difference to the sound.

I know that some are shaped differently, but aside from that, does what ear it goes in or over make a difference?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If you have them on the wrong way round then the people playing from left to right will go right to left

allthegear
    Free Member

If they are the wrong way around, it makes you walk backwards. But because you have them the wrong way around, you don’t notice this, or that fact everyone is laughing at you…

Rachel

miketually
    Free Member

Does the music keep telling you to worship Satan, or that Paul is dead?

Left stereo channel and right stereo channel. Doesn’t really matter for music, but matters more for films.

molgrips
    Free Member

Some tracks are left/right specific. Radio plays maybe. Also playing computer games might be a problem because the sound effects would be coming from the wrong side.

Its not the case that you MUST put them in the right ears; more that IF you are doing something where it matters, then you know.

However some ‘phones are asymmetric like my Samsung ones. The shape doesn’t work if you put them in the wrong ear.

jam-bo

just wait until they invent stereo sound…

poisonspider
    Free Member

It’s something to do with the stereo effect and the fact that one ear is higher up your head than the other.

It’s a evolutionary throwback when you had to listen for prey in the forest. The different heights allow you to pin point things better.

If you have them the wrong way round the noise will be behind you rather than in front of you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

just wait until they invent stereo sound…

Jarvis Cocker’s next album will be the first to use it.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Jarvis Cocker’s next album will be the first to use it.

Hasn’t he died?

donald
    Free Member

You can’t have the violins on the right for goodness sake.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

No.

The differences are:
    1 – shape
    2 – panning [L-R needs to be correct for SFX to follow visuals]
    3 – mix [there are several common ways to mix music, it might just feel a little odd if you flip the mix]

You won’t die.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Back at uni I used to do some sound engineering, there is a reason why bassists are always on the same side, someone tried to convince me it was because you had a dominant ear like you have a dominant hand or foot, in which case it should matter which ear get’s the bass (and which get’s the brass and backing vocals).

But I suspect it was more likley because it was what people expected to hear and like valves and logo’s it makes it easier for a sound engineer if he knows what he hears in his left headphone is the bass guitar. In which case if you don’t notice then it doesn’t matter.

Incidentally the human ear/brain can’t pinpoint sounds below 80Hz, which is why even expensive surround sound systems only have one sub, and why that sub should have it’s crossover at 80hz. It’s also handy because bass in stereo can’t be transcribed to vinyl, if it was it would just jolt the needle out of the groove, so bass is mono and the drummer goes back/center on stage.

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s something to do with the stereo effect and the fact that one ear is higher up your head than the other.

aaaah! I never knew that and just assumed I had weird ears!!!!

Rachel

Klunk
    Free Member

the device should know what plug is in each ear and compensate accordingly #shoddytech!

poisonspider
    Free Member

aaaah! I never knew that and just assumed I had weird ears!!!!

Actually, I think I might be getting that mixed with barn owls?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes I think that is owls.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Whooo?

slowoldman

so bass is mono

So it’s in the middle of the soundstage? I think not.

maccruiskeen

Some tracks are left/right specific. Radio plays maybe.

Tennis commentary definitely

The main thing to consider is if you swap the earphones left to right then you reverse the polarity of the magnets inside and the ear buds will function as microphones instead of speakers – this will result in you taping over your favourite MP3 of Take That with your own internal monologue. Worst still – if you’re listening to a streaming service like Spotify then you’re internal monologue will be broadcast to millions of listeners worldwide. You will however receive very little in the way of royalties.

doordonot
    Free Member

Some fascinating stuff here. Even the untruths are interesting.

slimjim78
    Free Member

If you wear them the wrong way round then it sounds like Corbyn and Cameron are having an agreeable conversation

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Why are earphones/earbuds ear specific?’ is closed to new replies.