Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Why are drivers still driving fast or stupidly over B roads covered in ice?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Seriously can they not see it?

Drove into work counting ditched cars on one hand…

Just wondering – not a whinge but sounds like it lol

allthepies
    Free Member

Because they’re stupid.

Errr, lol.

br
    Free Member

Why do folk drive so slow, if they can’t drive in snow/ice they should stay at home.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    brakes
    Free Member

because life is boring and driving like a loon is not

benji
    Free Member

^^ is the username for ironic purposes?

brakes
    Free Member

should I change it to ‘handbrakes’?

garage-dweller

Because they are very good drivers and therefore physics and road traffic law don’t apply to them. 🙄

Would you believe that after a campaign to target mobile phone using drivers in Portsmouth Hampshire roads police are getting comments on twitter about real criminals 🙄 although nice to see so many coming out in support too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Because they are on winter tyres and think they can?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Darwinism,a few less crap drivers on the road tomorrow..

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Probably the same people who drive dark grey coloured cars with no lights on. On the grey road. Against the grey sky.

benji
    Free Member

should I change it to ‘handbrakes’?

😆 😆

jimjam
    Free Member

Why are drivers still driving fast or stupidly over B roads covered in ice?

Frankenstein

Seriously can they not see it?

Did you stop and conduct a survey with each one of the ditched drivers and ask what had contributed to their crash? Perhaps they were rear wheel drive? I have it on good authority that a rwd car will, without any provocation, steering, throttle, brake, camber or otherwise….spin you into a ditch if you dare drive one in winter.

Anyway I’d rather they thoughtfully ditch their car in a field along some B road as opposed to bring an entire city to a grinding halt by spinning out on a minor gradient on a busy arterial route.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

So they don’t get stuck behind molgrips?

fooman

It doesn’t matter if you have winter tyres, 4 wheel drive and / or snow driving skills if some num nut gets themselves stuck in an inch of snow and blocks the traffic you’ll not be going anywhere. That’s why I leave at 6am on snow days to avoid them.

jon1973
    Free Member

Darwinism,a few less crap drivers on the road tomorrow..

And a few innocent victims as well I imagine.

scotroutes

Because they are only “making progress”

matt_outandabout

Not for very long… 😉

slowoldman

Why are you driving one handed in such awful conditions?

cloudnine
    Free Member

I can accelerate out of the skid!!
    Its only a company car and has loads of air bags if i do crash..

wilburt
    Free Member

They will just be really good drivers, probably got a F1 jacket and everything, normal rules don’t apply to them because rules are for stupid people who can’t drive properly.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

You people HAVE to drive? Every day? How very RURAL.

dmorts

Anyone see this? I wonder if excess speed was involved or whether they just got into a slight slide at just the wrong point, bumping up and over the pavement with just enough momentum to teeter over the edge

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-31040438

epicyclo

The national IQ rises as more idiots self-cull?

onehundredthidiot

The Edinburgh one is a harsh lessom in reality. I’d say he was turning right to go back round the square to find a spot hit the ice then that’s it you’re a passenger. The kerb there is very low so easy to mount. Some will say too fast others will say nothing the driver could do on sheet ice.

Euro
    Free Member

… Drove into work counting ditched cars on one hand…

OK, first off, how do you know they were driving fast if they were ditched? Secondly, should you not have been concentrating on where you were going and not counting cars? That’s the kind of behaviour that causes accidents (like driving into a ditch).

And that, my internet friends, is called a swictheroo 😀

globalti
    Free Member

I drive faster than everybody else in snow because they’re muppets and they’re getting in my way. I am very important so I need to get to work and, er, go on STW…. oops.

mrjmt
    Free Member

My need is greater.

jamesfts
    Free Member

Because Dorifto.

Everyone knows going sideways is waaaay more fun.

YOLO and all that.

andy8442
    Free Member

Probably didn’t have winter tyres. Anyone else on here use them? What do you think? Snow chains or snow socks? What do you think? Winter tyres on all four or just the driving wheels or non driving wheels. Should you turn into the skid or just floor it. I turn off my traction control in November, what do you do? My diesel estate gets 1100mpg on the motorway but only 25mpg in town ( with 7 bikes velcro-ed to the roof).

Sorry, have we covered these topics before?

luketracey

Mildly annoyed this morning to look outside and see a bit of snow where we live and also that it had been below freezing last night. No bike commute today then.

A very exiting car journey then commenced, first as I was sat in a queue for a level crossing a very nice jag ends up on my right as he needed to avoid my bumper. Then I came across a bike commuter, extremely brave I thought to myself, perhaps I was being too rash. Anyway ended up following the guy for a mile, maybe two (not safe to pass so just sat there). Eventually he decides he wants to wave me past, its still not safe so I still stay there. He instantly goes down, I stop a few feet from him. He gets up, gets himself on the pavement and seems fine, he gives me a thumbs up. To my eternal shame I didn’t stop and put the bike on the car and drive him to where he was going.

I hope he made the rest of his journey in one piece, please be careful out their everyone

(Not that its relevant but he had lights/yellow top, helmet etc)

klumpy
    Free Member

May be they were driving one handed.

jimjam
    Free Member

luketracey

Then I came across a bike commuter, extremely brave I thought to myself, He instantly goes down

Probably a rear wheel drive bike on summer tyres.

scaredypants

onehundredthidiot – Member
    The Edinburgh one is a harsh lessom in reality…some will say too fast others will say nothing the driver could do on sheet ice.

[quote] scaredypants – Sanctimonious git
    Seat Leon Cupra
    😉 [/quote]

hora
    Free Member

Every winter I say the samething- its not snow and ice that scares me, its other drivers.

Couple of weekends ago -on the long road along the top of Mam Tor – the other lane had 50% ice/slush/snow and the offside (of their side) was tarmac yet almost every car was doing close to 50. If I’d have been swipped/taken out with them it’d been an interesting conversation.

Murray

Just past a bloke next to his Avensis which was pointing up in the air from a ditch. No idea how he did it road wasn’t that slippy.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think my favourite manoeuvre of the morning was the white van who decided to overtake the car that was overtaking me on my bike so we were three abreast on a two lane road. Superb skillz.

peterfile
    Free Member

Probably didn’t have winter tyres. Anyone else on here use them? What do you think? Snow chains or snow socks? What do you think? Winter tyres on all four or just the driving wheels or non driving wheels. Should you turn into the skid or just floor it. I turn off my traction control in November, what do you do? My diesel estate gets 1100mpg on the motorway but only 25mpg in town ( with 7 bikes velcro-ed to the roof).

Octavia?

😆

dmorts

look outside and see a bit of snow where we live and also that it had been below freezing last night. No bike commute today then.

I have these Schwalbe Snow Stud and pretty much think the opposite. Snow = definite bike commute!

crankboy
    Free Member

I have been comutting on my bike through the snow not massively difficult I do have my spiked tyres on but only ran on reduced pressure once. My son is getting to nursery no issues on a balance bike I have seen more losses of control from car drivers than him.
    Generally it is just Dunning-Kruger in action but most car driving brings that out.

cookeaa

I’m getting bored with these threads now, everyone’s an expert, infallible driver until they come a cropper of course…

Of course it could never happen to an STW big hitter…

andy8442 – Member

Sorry, have we covered these topics before?

It’s going to be a wee bit chilly for another couple of months yet so expect more fascinating tales from the road warriors…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Why are drivers still driving fast or stupidly over B roads covered in ice?’ is closed to new replies.