Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Why are 15mm axles so expensive? Alternatives to Rockshox Maxle?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

My Rockshox maxle stripped the cup around it that you press the lever against to unscrew it. It can be rescued by filing a square edge on what’s left but it seems like such a bad design. I’d looked at buying a new one but they’re not cheap. Are there any alternatives? Cheers

sazter

The newer version is a different design so this does not happen, it is backwards compatible from my research. I have a V1 on one bike and V2 on the other, I plan on changing the V1 to V2, it is miles better.

V2

edd

I have a spare 15mm RockShox axle from a Pike that you can buy. Used but in reasonable condition £15 posted (unfortunately I can’t send it until Monday). I can send a photo if you want.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

That’d be good edd. Pictures to email in profile please.

gelert
    Free Member

The new Pike version is backwards compatible with any recent RS 15mm fork. I had to buy one for my Sektor because previous owner had been ham fisted. I filed it square again so it still worked ok but I wasn’t sure about it lasting so stumped up for the new one. Think I found it for half price somewhere online. Can look back if you’re struggling to get it. I had to wait for them to come in stock at that price but I was unwilling to pay full whack for what they are.

edd

Will get photos to you sometime over the weekend.

Edd

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Yeah the price of them just seems steep for what they are, I’d expected around 15 pounds. I thought there would be some cheaper alternative but can’t find anything. Second hand looks like the way to go.

Northwind

I like the Stealth one, it’s cheaper too. Preferred the old design, mine lasted years without issue whereas I just blew up the new Pike one in about 1 month, cam lever fell apart.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve just paid 50 quid for a Zocchi axle..

oddjob3000
    Free Member

If you’re damaging/rounding off the square edge as you tighten and undo your maxle then you’re doing it up way too tight!!
    When I used to work in a shop we saw this a lot. I know its holding your front wheel in place but look at the size of the thread, its massive! It just needs to be nipped up and once the lever is flipped in thats it, jobs a good-un!

Northwind

oddjob3000 – Member

If you’re damaging/rounding off the square edge as you tighten and undo your maxle then you’re doing it up way too tight!!

Not sure it’s tightness, I think it’s just failing to engage properly so the lever hops out of the slot.

woodnut
    Free Member

Just broke a DT Swiss X12 rear skewer, as above can’t believe price for what is effectively just a big bolt 🙁

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Why are 15mm axles so expensive? Alternatives to Rockshox Maxle?’ is closed to new replies.