Viewing 30 posts - 201 through 230 (of 230 total)
  • Why am I struggling to vote SNP?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

piece of shit Fransen.

I’m a lover, no a fighter, but I’d happily punch that cow.

duckman

Wee Nicky dropped the mike on her though. “We will let the people of Govanhill decide shall we?”

matt_outandabout

Indeed the best way of shutting Fransen down. Well played Nicola.

igm

And well done Sarwar for backing her.

Both did well there.

PS – take note Gordon Brown, when confronted with a bigot, call them out and stand by it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I see fannybaws got 36 votes. I’d round them up and hunt them anaw.

tjagain

Interesting it looks like a high turnout also people thinking about their list vote. I do think that too many politicians underestimate the canniness of the scots voters. We have got used to complex systems and using different votes in different ways

tjagain

Which particular one Nobeer?

squirrelking
    Free Member

@tjagain Fransen the **** stick.

tjagain

Ah – that one!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Magic! Finally got rid of that smug Tory bastard John Scott! 💃🕺🤸

onehundredthidiot

I have to apologize for those around me. Although rather hope mopheid crows and that’ll get some backs up.

tjagain

Con loses Edinburgh Central to SNP by 4,732 votes

Yes.

swavis

So pleased Moray staying SNP, with a slight increase too. Gutted when we voted that plonker Ross in at the GE

dovebiker

SNP half-way to winning an outright majority – if you listened to the BBC you’d think they were losing, the bias of the reporting is excruciating. The way they’ve called some of the results you’d think the Tories were winning.

tjagain

Greens predicted to increase as well.

DickBarton

Greens haven’t won any seats yet according to BBC news article…how many seats have they got just now?

swavis

I think they’ll gain them from the list seats

tjagain

Greens have IIRC 6 right now but predicted to double that maybe – all off the list.

bigjim

The in-laws have turned up at ours and announced they both voted tory.

I’ve had to leave the room and come upstairs before I end up losing the rag

see this kind of encapsulates one of the main things that puts me off anything snp so much – the extreme reaction and polarisation with regards anyone who doesn’t comply, to the point of near violence it seems. I don’t give a hoot who anyone else votes for and anyone should feel safe and comfortable with voting for whoever they want and not be judged for it or worse by anyone.

come on you greeeeeens

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Anyone who votes Labour, Tory or the other Unionist parties is really voting for more Tory Sleaze & Corruption IMO.

True dat

falkirk-mark

see this kind of encapsulates one of the main things that puts me off anything snp so much – the extreme reaction and polarisation with regards anyone who doesn’t comply, to the point of near violence it seems

I read that more as who the inlaws did vote for as opposed to who they didn’t vote for and in the West of Scotland for someone who grew up in the 80’s it is understandable (losing the rag that is (violence was only mentioned by you))

tjagain

so over all a rather dull Scottish election. NO major changes, no major upsets. One thing I do find interesting and pleasing is all the fringe nutters got tiny votes and Salmond failed miserably. Lots of tactical voting both ways – not just unionist as the papers would have you believe

roll on indyref 2

kerley
    Free Member

If there is a referendum I predict a 52/48 result (not sure which way). Will then have same issue as Brexit where it is so marginal that the outcome doesn’t seem right based on the 48% who didn’t want it.

nickjb
    Free Member

so over all a rather dull Scottish election. NO major changes, no major upsets.

So that’s and end to roll on indyref 2 for now

Ftfy 😉

Kerley is spot on. Nothing conclusive, as ever. Just
    enough to put whatever spin on it that you want

convert

If there is a referendum I predict a 52/48 result (not sure which way). Will then have same issue as Brexit where it is so marginal that the outcome doesn’t seem right based on the 48% who didn’t want it.

I think you are probably right. I would like to see independence happen but I’d want it to happen after a decisive vote. For me the vote would be made compulsory and the result would need to be 60/40 before independence happened. Brexit was horrible in many ways but the fact that it happened on such a tiny mandate made it orders of magnitude worse. We are better than that. And if it does not happen for 20 odd years or more because of needing a clear majority in favour I’ll be disappointed but would go along with it. That does not mean I don’t want a referendum and the precursor debate now or in the very near future mind.

duncancallum

As above, such a close split will cause nothing but trouble.

I hope with such a strong result the SNP will be able to use it as a lever to gain more power from boris and more money.

I say this as someone who’s English but with family and a parent that’s Scottish that I hope no split happens as it will be the worst divorce in history

poly
    Free Member

see this kind of encapsulates one of the main things that puts me off anything snp so much – the extreme reaction and polarisation with regards anyone who doesn’t comply, to the point of near violence it seems

You read it rather differently from me. I have the same issue with Tory voting in-laws who don’t understand that not everyone agrees with them and would think nothing of turning up in my house and preaching. I’d be just as offended at anyone uninvited telling me I must vote for *any* party. I don’t get angry as such, I just usually make some comment that goes over their head and change the subject. Their daughter however gets furious and I have to deal with the ranting for the rest of the day (even worse is when her sister does it!).

FWIW they vote Tory for two reasons: 1. They hate sturgeon (I’ve never heard a political reason for this hatred her dress sense causes more ire than her policies) – they do read the Express though and repeat everything there as fact! 2. “If it wasn’t for thatcher we would never have been able to buy our council house (in the 80s)” it’s indisputable that Tory policy in the 80s served them personally very well.

poly
    Free Member

For me the vote would be made compulsory and the result would need to be 60/40 before independence happened

I completely get the issue (and pretty sure Sturgeon does too) but imagine the possibility that there was a vote like you describe with a 59.9 40.1 split… how would that be so different to 60.1 39.9 yet in the former a lot more peoples views are “ignored”. Then yes voters who were remain voters who lost that referendum are being told the rules are different… 2014 and 2016 make it really difficult to adopt a different set of rules.

I’m also really sceptical about compulsory votes – do we want people (from either side) who can’t be bothered to go to a polling station/get a postal vote to be probably the most critical part of deciding our future?

gordimhor

This is a very mixed result in my opinion. I am expecting a sustained attack on devolution from the UK government. Gove is already on Radio Scotland marginalising the role of the Holyrood Parliament.

tjagain

It seems the aim is to try to claim that independence is a minority issue here as the SNP did not get an outright majority. Trouble for the tories is they may control the narrative down south but they do not up here – and no one in scotland cares what English politicians and press say

Viewing 30 posts - 201 through 230 (of 230 total)

The topic ‘Why am I struggling to vote SNP?’ is closed to new replies.