Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why am I so stiff in the morning?
  • arcadian
    Free Member

The past couple of months I’ve been waking up really stiff and inflexible in the lower back and/or lower back(disappointing title?). To the point where doing something like tying shoelaces or clipping toenails is a struggle. I can stretch the hamstrings and lower back and pretty much be fine in a few minutes, in the sense that I can bend or cross down to do my laces up.

No idea what I’m doing wrong to make this happen. It’s not every morning, and if I were to suddenly bend over to tie laces or something in the afternoon I can do it without any issue, but first thing in the morning it’s like a plank of wood has been tied to my back and legs 🙁

Cougar

They write themselves sometimes, don’t they.

Drac

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Must resist…..

P-Jay
    Free Member

What’s the story, morning glory?

I used to suffer something similar way-back-when I first started cycling, my core wasn’t strong enough to support me so my back had to step in the help and it would complain like a shop steward about it. Have you started something new recently?

Other than that is it time for a new mattress? They’re crap for you when they wear out.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Waking up with wood..
    Tied to your back though?

thegreatape
    Free Member

How old are you OP?

fasthaggis

How old is your body bed ?

binners

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I had that similar scenario for months, a few years back. I would wake up with legs bent and back curled, as that’s how I sleep, and it would take quite a bit of time and stretching to be able to do stuff.

Finally went to doc, then an MRI as I had private healthcare through work, which showed up a little ‘lump’ for want of a better word on one of my discs, which would press against the spinal column and for some reason sleep exacerbated it.

Told me that I didn’t require an op, it would eventually alleviate itself, could be a month, could be a year. True enough, a couple of months after it slowly stopped, and I’ve never had any such issues since.

Just my experience, HTH.

arcadian
    Free Member

The mattress is 3 years old, hoping it’s not that. I’ve not really started anything new that would add a different strain to my back.
    Core muscle weakness might be part of it, pretty much the only muscle group I neglect to exercise. Another early morning issue is if I want to bow down to splash my face in the sink (with water, to wake up a bit I should add) I can’t help but put my hands on my knees for support – just feels like there’s no way my body will support that action on its own. Later in the day it’s not a problem.
    Only other thought is as its winter, sometimes the dog (weighs about 14kg, so not exactly big) will sneak onto the bed when it’s cold to use us as hot water bottles, so might somehow be nudging me out of sleep position. But it’s not like every time I’ve woken up with the pup snoozing on me I’ve had the inflexibility problem.

globalti
    Free Member

Some gentle back exercises would certainly help.

My guess is that the mattress is causing you the problem. Is is one of those bloody awful Tempur mattresses? They feel comfortable to some people but they are terribly bad for your back. If the mattress is only three years old, do you turn it regularly to prevent the padding from settling into a dip? Is it firm enough for your weight?

What about the two other places where you spoend most of the day, your car seat and office chair? Are they firm and supportive enough to prevent you from slouching?

MoreCashThanDash

Probably worth £30-40 to see a physio and see if they can find the cause and offer stretching/strength exercises to try and resolve it.

Cheaper than a mattress and more reliable than us lot. Possibly.

jekkyl

the symptoms you describe can be linked to a condition called ‘ankylosing spondylitis’ which mostly affects men. Usually the stiffness would be accompanied by some pain, so have a look at some internet bits on the condition and speak to your doctor, there is a quick blood test they can do to diagnose if you have it.

globalti
    Free Member

….or you may just need your sacro-iliac joint manipulating by a physio, which is the back equivalent of popping your knuckles and will give you instant, amazing relief.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why am I so stiff in the morning?’ is closed to new replies.