Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Why am I slower on lighter 29er full sus?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Went to degla today on my jeffsy. Bit wetter than last time about two weeks ago. Not happy with the ethirteen tyres on it, very draggy and not happy with my fitness at the moment after some injuries in last couple of months and sciatica recently. 34t chainring can’t help either. But I’m so slow and can’t get up hills, I just don’t get it at all. Surely on a bike like this I should be flying up hills? Don’t get it at all.

joebristol

Compared to what other bike?

tomhoward

Why am I slower on lighter 29er full sus?

Because you have draggy tyres, too big a chainring, are carrying injuries and aren’t as fit as normal at the moment.

Plus it rained.

HTH

simondbarnes

Slower than what?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Previous bike is a soul 27.5. Which sis have semi slick rear tyres on the back. But I was slow by my standard on the three mile climb by quite a way.
    I’ve ordered some specialized tyres and will put my snaggletooth oval chainring on, and get fitter.
    Hope it’s not the bike as it’s a beast pointing down.

ta11pau1

New 2019 jeffsy? I found the 46t rear, 34t chainring and 29 wheels meant I was struggling up proper steep stuff, no eagle or crawler gear.

Because you have draggy tyres, too big a chainring, are carrying injuries and aren’t as fit as normal at the moment.

This. And new bike, so it’ll take a while to get used the handling, climbing etc.

joebristol

Sounds like you’ve got a combo of draggy tyres, wet weather and not that fit. Bound to be slower.

Also, if the climb isn’t that technical it doesn’t surprise me that you’re quicker on a lighter less slack hardtail than a big borderline enduro bike.

simondbarnes

Previous bike is a soul 27.5. Which sis have semi slick rear tyres on the back. But I was slow by my standard on the three mile climb by quite a way.

Big bouncy bike with draggy tyres is always going to be way slower than a hardtail with SS tyres on a long, draggy fireroad climb.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You could do that climb on a road bike and be quicker again

ta11pau1

In shock news. 140/150mm travel fuss suspension bike with sticky knobbly tyres is slower up a smooth climb than a hardtail with a semi slick rear tyre.

In other news. Riding slower is slower than riding fast. 😀

OP – don’t worry about it, it’s a completely different bike. Enjoy the downhills, and the techy climbs. Who’s ever in a rush on a fireroad climb anyway? My objective on these is to get to the top with the least exertion possible.

simondbarnes

I still find it astonishing that I’m in the top 9% strava times out of over 32000 riders on that climb. I’m properly shit at climbing!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’m glad I asked. I was starting to doubt the purchase. Cant wait to get new gears on and a smaller front chainring now.
    The mrs’ has just said that the lad I bought it from said he used it in the Alps and ffestiniog with uplifts so I think the set up is all for aiming down.

kimbers

E13 tyres are brilliant on loose loamy muddy trails and I’d imagine not so great for the hardback of llandegla!

Also 34t on a 29er? I’ve got a 30t on mine

breadcrumb

Sometimes you just have an off day.

Sometimes everything clicks and you’re flying.

Which ever you have it’s better than sitting on your arse!

taxi25
    Free Member

Your slower because you probably aren’t putting the same amount of effort into the rides.
    I’ve done according to strava a local climb 191 times. I always put a bit of effort into it, and normaly it takes me 6.30-7.30 mins. All those times feel more or less the same, the difference is trail conditions, how I’m feeling and what bike I’m on. But every now and again i feel like giving it 100%, and I mean 100% everything I’ve got. Those times are under 5 mins with the best being 4.29. So unless you ride the same climbs with the same fitness giving 110% your going to get a huge variance in your climbing times. A lighter bike with faster rolling tyres will on average be quicker, if it’s not thats just down to you.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a 28t chainring on my 29er lol

kerley
    Free Member

If you are flying up hills then chainring size won’t be an issue as even a 34/42 gearing is so low it is never going to be used if going fast up a hill. Sounds like weather and tyres combined with an off day.

I sometimes come back from a ride feeling I was going really slow, it was harder work etc,. and then find my time over the whole ride is in my top 5. I also did an hour loop last week on road and gravel on a 13kg MTB with 2.4 knobbly tyres and finished with a minute of my best time that was on a 7kg track bike with 28c road tyres so it doesn’t always make sense.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

It’s mostly the tires. I’ve got those e13 on my jeffsy and they have immense grip and are brilliant leant over but very draggy and weigh 1kg each. For now I’m trying an e13 semi slick on rear but will probs end up running the e13 for uplift and something else for all round.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Why am I slower on lighter 29er full sus?’ is closed to new replies.