• This topic has 45 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Parr.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • whose racing Gravity enduro series…the setups that people are running and more
  • love
    Free Member

Whilst I am re-habilitating a dislocated shoulder and not riding and nowhere near racing…I have just watched the DIRT Tv feature: Gravity Enduro, the bikes, the riders on the 661/singletrack uk gravity enduro series site – and am interested to hear what are you riding, what have you modified/made different and why?
    and how you found Ae?
    all the best

RHSno2
    Free Member

Great insight isn’t it. I am not doing the Gravity Enduro but do others.
    Ride a Spesh Enduro, Fox 36 RC2’s, 720mm bars, 50mm stem, Crossmax sx’s, Command Post, Tubeless WTB (Spikes/Swampthings if it rains) 1 x 10, singlering, LG1+ 36 x 36×12, Bottle cage so no need for Camelbak and carry spare tube, C02, inflator.

Rickos
    Free Member

I’m not doing any of these type of races, but my bike’s set up as though I am! 😀

Orange 5, coil u-turn Lyriks, Gravity Dropper, 9 speed with a Gamut device, Bonty Big Earl tyres.

Perfect for razzing round the woods which is all these enduros are really, but with a stopwatch.

Northwind

I had to miss Ae but planning to do Innerleithen and Kielder

(and also the Innerleithen MTB Racing Classic Enduro in 2 weeks- spam mode on here but I’ve a feeling this event will knock spots off the Gravity races. Cheaper, more timed riding for your 2 days, simpler format, and far more interesting trails than Ae had. The Gravity events look great but the last innerleithen mtb racing enduro was just stunningly good and this is the same only more so. If you possibly can do it- DO IT)

And as it happens my Hemlock is what everyone says an enduro bike should be- 160mm forks, gravity dropper, slacked off, light but strong, pedals up and razzes down. So that’s nice. It’s unfortunate that I’m a bit slow and crap.

Rus
    Free Member

Did Ae and i’m signed up for the next one.

Marin wolf ridge, pikes, joplin with remote, tubeless high roller dp 2.35 ft and larsen tt on the rear (had single ply tubeless at ae and split sidewall), 710 bars, kreiga pack. 36 and 24 dual chain ring with lower chain guide.

really enjoyed the event, the downhill course pushed my abilities to stay on and go fast, really looking forward to keilder,

love
    Free Member

…light but strong, pedals up and razzes down. So that’s nice. It’s unfortunate that I’m a bit slow and crap. – awesome! 😀
    good to hear peoples setups and having a go at going fast…putting a stopwatch to razzing. Is anyone using an on bike timing device such as DRC’s x monitor/other any feedback? + pictures of your setup?

mrplow
    Free Member

Lessons learnt:
    Single ply minion running tubeless on rear = BANG!
    Rubber grips become unstuck after a whole weekend in a monsoon

Vortexracing

Pulls up chair.

Must admit I’m really starting to think I wouldn’t mind a go at this type of racing.

Bike would be as it is now but probably a set of 5.1 rims with either HR or Swampies depending on how muddy it is. Plus of course a reverb post.

P1030649 by eastham_david, on Flickr

does seem good fun, I must admit

thv3
    Free Member

Also did the last Inners Enduro, and also booked up for the next one next weekend. Swithering over the gravity enduro, at £60 for a one day event versus £45 for the two day event next weekend seems a bit much. Also can’t see how they could improve on it to be honest.

First was truly excellent, can’t wait for the next round.

Currently using a Marin Wolf ridge, Fox 36 Van, Hope hoops with flow rims, SLX double and bash but no uppy downy seatpost yet, although I can really see how much difference it would make.

The thing I really liked about the first one was the variety of bikes present, ranging from 80mm race hardtails to 7″+ of travel, and everyone having a great laugh.

Diane
    Free Member

I hope to take my hardtail to the Inners one . Not sure why i’m ‘racing’ as it wont be anything nearing that description – kinda just taking part. Just hope I don’t get in anyone’s way

love
    Free Member

Some good feedback for the Innerleithen mtb racing enduro, an event that I had not been aware of until now…looking forward to attending when I’m repaired!

RHSno2
    Free Member

The biggest thing imo is tyre choice. Going as fast rolling as you dare.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Flats or clips thoughts?

In my head I imagine a car park full of weekend warriors pileing on daineese over 661, with leat braces, troy lees, 5.10’s and pj-suits as it’s more of a DH race.

With the DH’ers in the opposite corner in SS jerseys, XC lids and disco slippers as it’s just an XC race to them.

RHSno2
    Free Member

‘as it’s more of a DH race.’

nah. Its not.

RHSno2
    Free Member

Its the guys/girls in the middle.

Rickos
    Free Member

It’s the baggies, short or long sleeved jersey with maybe some knee pads and a Camelbak crew. Oh yeah, just like people that go for a ride at the weekend.

RHSno2
    Free Member

‘just like people that go for a ride at the weekend.’ I love how people seem to want sneer at people who want to race.

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’m doing the series on my Meta 6 with Hope pro 2’s on 5.1 rims, 2×9 set up, with bash guard and chain device. Gravity dropper post, fox 36 talas, Nobby Nic tyres. Weighs in @ 32lb.

At Ae after practice I put Continental Rain Kings on, (now called Barons), which worked great on stages 1 and 5 but where a major slog on the 3 other pedally stages due to their rolling resistance. That taught me a lesson as I lost more time on those 3 stages than what I gained on the other 2, so a fast rolling ‘do it all’ tyre is Def the way to go.

hels
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack, but we will be offering single day passes for the Vattenfall Classic Innerleithen Enduro 28th 29th May, details on the website very soon.

(an End or an Uro pass I guess)

Rickos
    Free Member

‘just like people that go for a ride at the weekend.’ I love how people seem to want sneer at people who want to race.

No sneering intended – I very much enjoy racing, not that I ever finish above half way down the entry list. I just happen to wear the same gear whether I’m on a ride with buddies, racing at a miniDH event or doing a 24 hour solo race. I’ll just swap for a full face helmet doing the DH but that’s about it really.

EDIT – newish nippers mean my racing ‘career’ has been put on hold for a couple of years.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Cotic Hemlock (long travel rocker), air lyrics, light wheels, fast tyres, clip-in pedals.

this is more travel than i normally like, and i usually save the spd’s for the road bike, but it seemed to work.

i struggled a bit lot in the mud at Ae, i’d like to blame the tyres and pedals, but i can’t – i’m just rubbish.

i don’t think it’s fair to describe the Gravity enduros as a 1-day event, seeing as how the riding and racing is spread over 2 days… ?

(if anything, there’s more riding on the 1st day – 1 practise lap with a bit of sessioning + qualifier)

RHSno2
    Free Member

‘At Ae after practice I put Continental Rain Kings on, (now called Barons), which worked great on stages 1 and 5 but where a major slog on the 3 other pedally stages due to their rolling resistance. That taught me a lesson as I lost more time on those 3 stages than what I gained on the other 2, so a fast rolling ‘do it all’ tyre is Def the way to go. ‘

Ae is a bit funky though (as other Trail Centres would be). Hard pack and fast rolling and then loamy/muddy. Difficult to gauge what to go with.

mrplow
    Free Member

Hels – More info please. I can only do one day and would love to head over. Which day is it going to be sunny? :mrgreen: lol

mrplow
    Free Member

661 weekend is 3 days riding if you take the Friday off as the course is marked for the Friday and you can camp Friday and Sat. We rode all Friday as well as the sat and sun and had a great laugh.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I’m entering the Eastridge round, as it’s the only date I can make. Will be taking my 06 Spesh Enduro, Marzocchi 55s (145-165mm), flat pedals. Maybe some wheels.

And is I can find a decent deal on an upp-downy post, then one of them as well.

Northwind

mr plow – Member

661 weekend is 3 days riding if you take the Friday off as the course is marked for the Friday and you can camp Friday and Sat. We rode all Friday as well as the sat and sun and had a great laugh.

The actual event’s a small amount of riding on one day and a decent amount on the next- but it’s only because of the seeding that it’s a 2 day event, there’s not 2 day’s worth of racing. Sure you can do more riding around that, but then that’s true of almost every race, we did a pre-ride of the 10 under the ben route last year- doesn’t make it anything else but a 1 day event.

Not wanting to criticise too much but I think it was a big mistake to not have the option of single day entries, taking away the need to spend the whole weekend. Just have an unseeded section who’ll obviously be disadvantaged, but at least able to take part, as it is it’s a big commitment of time. I’d have been at Ae if that’d been an option, personally.

Not to make too many unkind comparisons, but the innerleithen enduro earlier in the year had just as much racing (a little more under the clock) but all in an inclusive one-day package. You could pre-ride if you wanted, or not, but you weren’t committed to being there for 2 days.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

How long are the timed sections – distance and time?
    How long are the linking sections – distance and time again, how much climbing compared to a trail centre climb?
    Is there much of a rush between the stages?

Parr
    Free Member

THV3 – The Gravity Enduro races are 2 day events, not 1 day, if your keen, like some are, then its 3 🙂

Northwind – I too am coming to Inners to race end of May, look forward to meeting you and hearing how you form these opinions without actually being at Ae for the Gravity Enduro

thv3
    Free Member

THV3 – The Gravity Enduro races are 2 day events, not 1 day, if your keen, like some are, then its 3

Sorry, my misunderstanding, I thought it was a qualifier only followed by a days racing.

Unfortunately the Ae and Kielder dates have clashed, but the Inners round suits so will probably be there.

Northwind

Parr – Member

Northwind – I too am coming to Inners to race end of May, look forward to meeting you and hearing how you form these opinions without actually being at Ae for the Gravity Enduro

What parts would you take issue with? Seem like simple statements of fact to me, not opinions. I’m open to being corrected if I’m wrong.

nickhead
    Free Member

Getting back to the original topic (though i hear the Inners round of the Gravity Enduro will be the most DH oriented…)

This year I’m riding a new 140mm Mondraker Foxy RR frame, 160mm Fox 36s, 3×9 (soon to become 2×9, then maybe 1×9/10 if i get fitter) standard seatpost (while i get around to replacing my second CrankBros Joplin with something more RockShoxy) and a set of lightweight Minions for fast rolling and good open grip.

Mondraker Foxy RR

Enjoyed Ae, despite the weather – glad i decided not to camp. Started on SPDs but switched to Flats after practice for the seeding run and race day. As you’ve seen in the videos, it was a wee bit slippy and off camber, and spent half my practice run trying to get clipped back in.

I was reminded how useful a dropper seatpost is – in stages 2, 3 and 4 there was an equal split of mostly flat traverse and steeper bits.

looking forward to Kielder and the last two rounds – can’t make inners, unfortunatekly

hels
    Free Member

It’s ALWAYS sunny in Innerleithen !

We are running 3 tracks each day, so the event splits nicely into 2 halves, if you want a day ticket there is more on http://www.innerleithenmtbracing.com

chakaping
    Free Member

nickhead – how does the Foxy go with a 36 on the front?

(sorry for thread hijack)

love
    Free Member

I would be interested to hear about the foxy too…It is one that I would like to ride when healed

chakaping
    Free Member

I got a secondhand Foxy last weekend. Had three decent rides on it so far, inlcuding 5 hrs in Surrey Hills today.

It’s long and low (BB), you sit quite a way into the sag and so combioned with the low BB you really feel “inside” the bike. The cornering blew me away at first.

Suspension seems very supple but also doesn’t really bob.

The handling seems quite intuitve – definitely a “have a go at it” bike, if you know what I mean.

Long chainstays make it very stable downhill and in the air, but a bit tricky to manual (getting the hang of it a bit now).

I’m always a medium usually but went up to the large as I wanted the longer TT. Medium size has a longer TT for 2011 though.

nickhead
    Free Member

Foxy/36 combo seems to work well for me – it’s a Talas so i mostly ride at 130mm locally or whack it down to 110 for climbing.

It feels massively capable – like most trail centre red grade downhills would barely test it. The parts mostly came from my old, cracked Intense 5.5. By comparison the Foxy is low and long – confidence inspiring, encourages you to get over the bars in the corners and give it some, especially having gone back to using flat pedals. The slack head angle makes you want to lean it over plenty, but I’m still catching my pedals on stuff – not used to the lower BB

Also got some wider (720mm) bars on which all aids the above.

Took it downhilling at Cannock Racers Guild on Saturday – felt very competent there too, for a 140mm bike

RHSno2
    Free Member

Mr Barel would use the Foxy for such events (only the bigger stuff does he use the Dune)

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s it like with the 36 at 160mm? too wandery?

I’ll probably stick mine on to try myself at some point anyway, but got a 150mm maxle Rev going on this week for normal use.

And to get back on topic, yes, I do intend to do one of these 661 races on it – hopefully the eastridge one.

I’m getting a lot of chainslap, are you using a chain device and/or shorter-cage mech nick?

nickhead
    Free Member

@chakaping

yeah 160 is a bit chopperish on the flat with the slack headangle but makes a lot of sense when the going gets steeper and more technical and the sadle goes down. For my local riding around Cannock it’s well balanced with 130 on the front, except for a couple of sections where i’ll dial out the fork and have a bit more fun on the drop and jumps.

Get a bit of chainslap, though i may stick it in top cog on the front to take up the slack (just standard 22/32/42 shimano setup at the mo) Currently using SRAM X7 shifters and medium/short cage mech. Plan is to go to two on the front; possibly 26/36 with bashguard… unsure on two ring chain device – my experience from years back is of limited benefit vs. hassle.

The pro’s preferred Gravity Enduro setup seems to be single ring and lightweight chain device up front, increasingly with 10 on the back.

love
    Free Member

26/36 up front and 10spd 11-36 with chain device is what I run…find 26-36 low gear much more usefull than anything lower I.e. it is low enough and is a gear you can get on and pedal rather than a gear that is too low and going nowhere fast…
    am going to be doing a bunch of road/canal miles while I rehab and will go 1×10 when back on the mtb
    will see how it goes as whilst it makes sense when racing I live somewhere with many steep valley sides and would have to be really strong (I think) to not want the 26t…guess I’ll find out!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘whose racing Gravity enduro series…the setups that people are running and more’ is closed to new replies.