Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Who’s winning the 12 speed OEM war?
  • robo89
    Free Member

Sram will always win the OEM war because they undercut shimano and make it back on the frankly overpriced replacements. Thats the thing with sram equipped bikes, it costs a shit load more to replace your worn out bits, XT equipped bikes seem to be less value for money but I’d rather stick with shimano, the HG+ is bringing more people back to shimano now they’re both 12sp, it’ll be interesting if/when deore goes 12 speed. What’s the next step, does anybody want to see 13sp, I don’t.

Northwind

robo89

Sram will always win the OEM war because they undercut shimano and make it back on the frankly overpriced replacements.

SRAM spectacularly lost the OEM war on fork standards.

andylc
    Free Member

Most bikes still have Rockshox forks though…surprised Shimano don’t branch out or take over a company doing forks and shocks so they can kit out entire bikes. Personally I find Shimano shifting and reliability far better than everything from SRAM. Just upgraded my Norco Range to 1X12 so will be interested to see how good it is.

tomhoward

SRAM spectacularly lost the OEM war on fork standards

Wasn’t boost (at least partly) a SRAM brainchild? Swings and roundabouts…

Mister-P
    Free Member

@jameso I hear you were in The City Of Dreams this week. Sorry I missed you.

jameso

Likewise Mark, was good to be there after a long time, shame to not see you. Next year if not before.

Sram will always win the OEM war because they undercut shimano and make it back on the frankly overpriced replacements.

You’d need the OE price lists to say whether they undercut them. I don’t think they do. Value varies across parts type between brands but one’s not better value overall than the other imo.

benpinnick

Yeah Id not say SRAM was particularly cheap. Also while shimano’s line up looks simple on things like brakes and cranks theres a bazillion group variants where brands can move a few quid here and there by speccing versions different to the boxed aftermarket stuff. SRAM on the other hand generally run everything as a branded version with little variants on say a crank, other than the ring you spec on it and its length. That makes it look like SRAMs line up is more complicated, but in fact its probably simpler to figure out what you actually have.

chakaping
    Free Member

When buying a load of OE kit, is it cheaper to get complete groupsets (perhaps with suspension units too) than to pick and mix?

benpinnick

Not specifically, or at least not for us, but there is discounts for higher volumes obviously, and if you spend money on shocks and forks as well as drivetrains that volume will build quicker. Its the same as any business really – deals to be had but its not a stitch up/locked in/conspiracy situation, its just normal commercial dealings.

chakaping
    Free Member

Interesting, so brands probably could pick & mix more, but I guess it could be seen as a negative by some buyers anyway.

I wonder how Sram are gonna respond to Shimano 12sp, Eagle’s been out a while now but I don’t believe there’s any appetite for 13 speed so perhaps they could make it smoother and less fussy about set-up? And perhaps make the rear mechs less explode-y?

kelvin

There are limits to the pick and mix approach. Hope don’t fit SRAM chainsets to their bikes because they want to. SRAM insist on their own chainrings being fitted to bikes using their Eagle kit.

tomhoward

I wonder how Sram are gonna respond to Shimano 12sp

GX AXS

chakaping
    Free Member

GX AXS

I see electronic shifting as a separate market TBH.

They’ll need to refresh the mechanical offering at some point and it better be good considering the price and quality of new XT and SLX.

andylc
    Free Member

I know I haven’t used it but it’s difficult to see with 1x that there could be a massive advantage with electronic shifting to justify it costing so much more.

dhrider
    Free Member

SRAM havn’t designed UDH for fun, now the hanger has a standard mount and shape they can start designing their drivetrains around this. The hanger doesn’t necessarily have to be a hanger, it could mean the mech bolts directly onto the frame etc.

steve_b77
    Free Member

so 42t front chainrings and 11-42 cassettes make no sense. For actual cross maybe it does, but then you’re running a 36 or 38t chainring

That’s some whopping rations for proper CX racing. I run a 40t front and 11-36t rear on Force CX1. It’s not unusual to have the same size front ring with a 11-32 as it’s more often than not quicker to run once you get into the big rear cogs.

For context to my earlier post, had my first ride on the new XTR yesterday, proper muddy kind of shit, gears were faultless, brakes were ace, nuff said

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Who’s winning the 12 speed OEM war?’ is closed to new replies.