Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Who’s the go-to for suspension servicing these days?
  • smogmonster

My Reverb isn’t in great shape (now theres a surprise) – it needs a strip/service/burning. Anyway who is the current go-to for such matters in STW land? I used to use Loco Tuning but it seems hes no longer a thing. There was a guy – JL something or similar a while ago – is he still on the go? Any other recommendations?

tomhoward

TF tuned

damascus
    Free Member

Most of us who had a reverb that needed servicing sold them and bought a brand x or equivalent.

What you get for a reverb plus the cost of a service gets you a new post.

mulv1976
    Free Member

TF tuned

chestrockwell

TF Tuned did my Transfer this year and were spot on.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d suggest Stirling Bike Doctor if you’re in the area.

Service kits are extortionate for a bunch of o-rings and a couple of circlips, I can see why folk just sling them and buy something simpler.

orena45

Loco (Simon) works at Wadebridge Bike Shop and I believe you can get your bits serviced by him there IIRC.

Otherwise, RSF Suspension in Plymouth services pretty much anything and is a top bloke. Usually too busy to answer emails/messages quickly so phone call is the best way to contact him.

jairaj

I normally use J-tech and am very happy with their service and advise and highly recommend them.

Jordan

Another vote for J-tech here.

bri-72

Anyone used and can recommend Silk?

snotrag

TF tuned.

Lots of others that are no doubt good but nobody convinced me they were able to offer anything TF didn’t already do or beat them on price, and TF tuned have always been superb ove the years.

Good advice on the phone too.

MartynS

I’m local (ish) to Macclesfield and use Ric at slick and slide for rockshok stuff. Just brilliant attention to detail and service
    I’ve used jtech for my MRP forks and they’ve been great as well.

TF are obviously good, and I’ve used them in the past. However I like to try and use the local company’s!

binman

Slick and Slide fan !

dandasbike
    Free Member

Can thoroughly recommend slick and slide. Rick is a good dude and knows his stuff

Onzadog
    Free Member

@bri-72 do you mean Silk in Rotherham? If so, I used him recently for a fox rear shock simply because he was close enough for me to drop off and collect. All went perfectly well. Only a sample size of one, but I’ll certainly use him again for the next shock that needs a service.

bri-72

Onza yeah that’s the place. Pricing seemed good and helpful advice over the phone. Not booked in as yet. In 2 minds as to whether service or new shock is the solution.

bfw

I am interested how much you pay for a service?

I have four bikes to do, Mr & Mrs BFW’s and the 2x nippers bikes.

I normally do it myself. I am really struggling with service kits for my kids Orange Zest 26 x2 = x2 RS Gold 30’s, and MrS BFW’s Pikes off of her Whyte 905, my Fox’s I have got the service kit no problem, but can I be arsed???

Northwind

I’ve recently had good service from Sprung and Jtech and would definitely use either again. Slick and Slide have a great rep too. TF I’ve just always found a bit awkward, not to mention that they seem to assume everyone is an idiot and that they know better than you what your needs are. But that doesn’t really apply with a Reverb service.

Reverb servicing is actually fairly straightforward, depending on the model. But last time, I couldn’t be arsed so I used one of the random cheap ebay service guys and then sold the useless thing and got a Bikeyoke. These days I’d probably do the same and then get a Oneup.

impatientbull

Another vote for JTech. I’ve had exceptional service from them in the last year.

TF I’ve just always found a bit awkward, not to mention that they seem to assume everyone is an idiot

That is my experience too. I won’t be using them again.

tmb467
    Free Member

Peter @ Suspension Inc

Used Suspension Inc a number of times…great service, great prices and a font of knowledge. Highly recommended if you want a more personal touch / to support someone trying to do his own thing

beagle
    Free Member

Slik Rick is the man.

As above really knows his stuff and attention to detail is A1.

Localish to Macc too so try to use him as much as poss.

oikeith

@bri-72 do you mean Silk in Rotherham? If so, I used him recently for a fox rear shock simply because he was close enough for me to drop off and collect. All went perfectly well. Only a sample size of one, but I’ll certainly use him again for the next shock that needs a service.

This but not this, I use a local guy, I prefer the drop off and collect aspect of an indie as opposed to the ball ache of posting to TF, J tech or sprung etc. Have a look at your local FB MTB pages and ask who is local that does the work?

Alex

Sprung are great. Local to me so drop off/collect not an issue. Jake really knows his stuff and is always happy to talk about what they do to your suspension, and the options for tuning.

chakaping
    Free Member

OneUp have a Black Friday offer. Get shot of the Reverb and get one of their droppers instead.

“Use the SAVE15% discount code”

sotonkona
    Free Member

I’ve always found TF Tuned service to be excellent and priced fairly, they also generally have most of the parts in stock so turn around is pretty quick. Used an LBS once who I had assumed we’re doing the shock service in house, as it was implied, turned out they had sent it to TF anyway and I was just paying extra! Sent them my Reverb recently, all done and in perfect working order within 5 working days. Never guaranteed that fast, but you can track progress in your account and their comms is great. I had previously used the SRAM Service Centre, which can only be booked through an LBS, took 3 weeks and comms was dreadful!!

susepic

Any independents recommended in Sussex?

beamers

OneUp have a Black Friday offer. Get shot of the Reverb and get one of their droppers instead.

“Use the SAVE15% discount code”

Limited stock by the looks of it though. Fine if you are wanting 120mm x 34.9mm but all other sizes appear to be out of stock.

breadcrumb

I use my mate, who happens to be a shit hot mechanic, RM Cycle works

Meticulous and very honest. Also handy with a lathe and has saved a few customers from having to replace components by knocking parts up where needed.

fathomer

I use Rick @ Slick & Slide, one of the most helpful people I’ve met.

J-Tech were very helpful when I wanted a spring recently, so would also recommend them.

crashrash

Peter at Suspension inc was fab for my Xfusion forks, used Jtech for the Fox stuff who were fantastic as well so both worth a look.
    Though I would look at another post – I have had One-up and PNW and both are seriously good and nicer action than the Reverb IMO. The PNW stuff is really nice for the cash nd loam lever is really lovely!

jonundercover
    Free Member

I’ll say Peter@suspension inc

Great prices and I’ve even had same day service off him in the past. It does help that he lives up the road from me. Check him out on Facebook/Instagram.

blurty

TF Tuned are great

kimbers

+1 for Jtech, but agree what’s said about brandx too, not sure how anyone can justify a reverb, tho I’m assuming theyust be more reliable nowadays

jamesmio
    Free Member

Slick & Slide here – Rik’s been great to deal with. Happy with J-Tech apart from their initial refusal to touch a creaky CSU on my Pikes (which Rik took on and sorted without complaint).

I get J-Tech’s approach, though they have since started offering this repair, but at the time it felt rather a lot like a way to flog my a pricy set of Ohlins.

No reason to go elsewhere but S&S now so that’s where I go.

BoardinBob

TF Tuned always.

Used them for years on multiple forks and shocks and never had an issue. Earlier this year I did have an issue…

Had my Fox Float X2 fully serviced by them. 4 months later on a ride the shock gave a huge bang. Jumped off to discover it was collapsed fully into its travel and stuck down. There was also a crack on the shock body.

Called TF who were full of apologies and asked me to send it to them. Their first port of call was Fox for a warranty attempt. I was a month past the official Fox warranty period but they weren’t interested.

TF called and explained then offered to repair it for me with no charge for labour just the parts needed which seemed fair.

About 15 minutes later they called back to say they’d opened up the shock and discovered when it was serviced they hadn’t put enough threadlock on a part and that’s what caused the failure. Admitted it was entirely their fault and repaired it completely free of charge.

Mistakes do happen, but the fact they stood up and admitted their mistake is some of the best customer service I’ve ever experienced and I’ll continue to use them for as long as I ever need suspension serviced.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That’s pretty decent of them, shit happens but they did the right thing and put their hands up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I used https://alsuspensionltd.co.uk/ in the summer as its local(ish) to me (well, local-ish that meant it was a good excuse to have a nice drive through the moors to drop off/pickup). Very well priced too vs everywhere else I called. Just dropped the full bike off, picked it up a few days later, Adam checked me on the bike and sorted pressures etc and away I went.

Will definitely use again.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Who’s the go-to for suspension servicing these days?’ is closed to new replies.