Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Who's sick to death of hearing about 650b/29
  • Just ride the bloody things…

Yes, but on a bridleway or trail centre ? Which is best ?

hounslow
    Free Member

All new Boardman MTBs are 650 or 29er, so it isn’t going away…

RustySpanner

Well, that’s up to us, isn’t it?
    All you have to do is not buy one.

onionmk
    Free Member

29 in? 650b? No such wheel sizes exist. only 26 in. which I have on my bike.

TimCotic
    Free Member

[/quote]Nope 27″ is where its at!

O.M.G. – a NEW wheel size to argue about! 😯

takisawa2

It’s around this point someone normally posts that YouTube vid of the 36’er riding up those flaming stairs…

andypaul99
    Free Member

It’s around this point someone normally posts that YouTube vid of the 36’er riding up those flaming stairs…

havent seen that, link pls 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

I over took a 27.5″ wheeled Saracen on a 29er in a race today & I’m a rubbish rider, what more proof do u need 🙂

paladin

I came 9th of 9 in a wee race today on my 26″ wheels. Everyone else had 26″ wheels……..

How unfashionable were we………… 😳

chives
    Free Member

Me.

ianfitz
    Free Member

It does make me chuckle that MTB mags can test ride £6k bikes – 650b wheels. Unsurprisingly enough they get great reviews and therefore 650b is the best thing ever. The key bit in it for me is that it is a 6k bike FFS it should be an awesome ride. Wheel size doesn’t come into it.

26/29 both have their place. In the end a well designed and engineered bike is going to ride well. It will be fun to ride and people will enjoy them. That’s the idea isn’t it?

aracer
    Free Member

In the end a well designed and engineered bike is going to ride well. It will be fun to ride and people will enjoy them. That’s the idea isn’t it?

New here?

BigDummy
    Free Member

The wheel size debate is the only interesting thing in mountain biking really. Everything else is just trivia.

rickmeister

Still to hear where the real origin and reason for change was… lots of speculation and guessing, but no facts ..

epicyclo

Just checking through my notebooks.

Some useful facts for the wheel debate

26 x 1.25 (599mm) old USA sports bikes

26 x 1 1/4 (597mm) proper fast 26″ – old British sports bikes

26 x 1 3/8 (590) proper gents 26″ – old British roadsters

26 x 1 1/2 (584mm) foreign muck aka 650B

26 x1 (571mm) can’t think of a use for these except on a head down bike.

26 x 1.75 (559mm) USA kids bikes

and there may be another 26″ size – old UK carrier bikes – can’t find the details – I think they were E.A.1

But everyone knows that a gentleman would not be seen on anything less than a 28 x 1 1/2 (635mm), so the wheel debate is just the lower orders squabbling… 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member

crosshair
    Free Member

Surely wheel size is a great reason to invoke the n+1 rule?

cookeaa

I did an experiment I actually rode my bikes a bit this weekend, but I deliberately chose not to give a flying monkey’s bollock about the size of the wheels while I was riding.

The bikes certainly had wheels, which appeared to make them more capable of rolling along than if they had not had wheels, the wheels that were fitted went round and round and round just fine, and progress was generally good, I never found myself cursing the wheel’s diameter.

The limiting factor was still the meat sack a’top said bicycles…

Conclusion? Bicycles need Round wheels, that is all…

scottfitz
    Free Member

Bicycles need Round wheels, that is all…

I have a rear wheel that isn’t round and it still works, in fact it clears mud really well.

aracer
    Free Member

The bikes certainly had wheels, which appeared to make them more capable of rolling along than if they had not had wheels, the wheels that were fitted went round and round and round just fine, and progress was generally good, I never found myself cursing the wheel’s diameter.

Yes, but did the trails come alive?

It’s all very well to say wheel size doesn’t matter, you won’t be so smug when they explode under you.

6079smithw
    Free Member

This thread isn’t clear as to which wheel size is best. Anyone know?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

For the first time ever the Skills course I was coaching this weekend had 2 26″, 2 650B and 1 29er – the full mix! There’s usually a mix of 29ers and 26, but this was the first time I’ve seen 650B’s out in the wild.

69er
    Free Member

I’m still undecided….

bigblackshed

I had a look around one of the larger bike shops in town today. Some 2014 Specialized, Giant, and Trek bikes. All of them 29ers with 2 “27.5”. “Cos that’s what it said on the tyres.”

The sales monkey was trying to get me to sign up for a Giant demo day next month. He looked a little shocked when I said there was nothing really floating my boat. Then he used “that” phrase. Something about “alive”. He did look a little embarrassed with him self.

nedrapier

this kitten iz wear its ‘at

I’m still undecided….

Perhaps you should start a thread on the subject to gather other’s opinions.

bearnecessities

Bump.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Bump.

29ers are best at riding over them 😳

fivespot
    Free Member

What we need is adjustable wheel/tyre diameters, then we can do away with those troublesome gears 8)

6079smithw
    Free Member

We know who won this
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9voUDIMZDsM[/video]

ads678

What confuses me is what helmet I should wear on which bike? If my 29er is faster than my 26″ bike I should wear a better helmet but then it rolls over bumps better so does this negate the need for a better helmet………:?

charliedontsurf

Just saying

rOcKeTdOg

from the people who bring us “the rules” more doom and gloom for 26″, i think they are wrong though

http://www.velominati.com/racing/full-circle-the-evolution-of-mountain-biking/

LoCo
    Free Member

@fivespot elliptical wheels are what you’re looking for old chap

rOcKeTdOg, that article uses the word “rig” in the first paragraph.
    I refused to read any further as a matter of principle.

Losidan
    Free Member

I think I’ll start riding a trike. 29″ front wheel, 26″ rear left and 650b right rear. All the bases covered.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Who's sick to death of hearing about 650b/29’ is closed to new replies.