Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Who’s piled on the lbs during lockdown?
  • asbrooks

Went out for the first ride of the year today. Not put on my shorts for a good 8 weeks, Had to let out the adjusters and belt.. Hadn’t realised I’d put so much on.

Oh by the way it felt bloody fantastic to be out, even the trails had dried out somewhat. The last time I went out it was a mud fest.

smogmonster

I had done so – had put on 2.5kgs with Christmas, crap weather, a job where i’m sat on my arse all day and too much booze. Started a diet 2 weeks ago, got back out on the road bike now that the weather has improved, didnt restock the booze shelf and now just have another 500g to go before im back at my regular weight. The dad bod was definitely rocking a wobble or two.

dyna-ti

Me for one. tooo many creamy coffees has left me looking like an ale drinker.

Have to start the sit ups again 🙁 Although I could just lower my saddle 😕

GolfChick
    Free Member

Nope I have a four pack, guns, can now do 30 sit-ups a day and I’m up to four proper press ups a day too. I’m one of those people who have gone the opposite way!

martinhutch

Putting on my cycling gear has been a depressing experience recently, that’s for sure.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Been on a proper rollercoaster, fit then fat then fit and now not that fat but fatter than I was, lost the mojo after badly spraining my ankle just before Christmas and work’s been an arsehole but starting to come together again. Going for dry march after an inundated Feb to limit calories and try and quell crisp intake.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Christ yes. Weight gain with me seems to have been like trying to stop an oil tanker. Nothing at first, thought I’d gotten away with spending last year horizontal emptying takeaways into my face. Now I’m basically spherical. And even though I changed my habits on Jan 1st I just keep getting fatter.

dc1988

I’m fortunate to have only put a kg on at most but went for my first ride in a while and my god am I unfit, my legs were screaming almost immediately.

onewheelgood

I’ve lost about a kilo – more time to exercise, although I suspect retirement has also contributed to that. Not that I needed to lose that kilo, I’ve actually been trying to put it back on since Christmas but have failed so far.

Vader
    Free Member

Opened thread expecting twitter spat with local bike shop owner. Am disappoint

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Nope. I’m doing more exercise than pre-lockdown.

I can head out at lunchtime or after I’ve finished work. Garage gym, Zwift and giving up the daily half-bottle of red wine back in October have all been beneficial.

DickBarton

Having misinterpreted the title, I’ve come in here to confirm I’ve not used my ‘lbs’ any less in lockdown, but I’m not a frequent buyer so unlikely to have caused any impact to takings.

As it is actually about weight and not about bike shops – I haven’t put any more on but I generally seem to fluctuate by 7-10kgs week to week. Annoyingly, I can’t seem to get it downwards, but I suspect that is due to me.still not sorting out my portion control and probably as my cooking abilities have increased I’m eating more.

jodafett

I’m one of those people who have gone the opposite way!

Same here. I’ve got a whole new wardrobe now cos all my old clothes fit me again 🥳

ste_t
    Free Member

I’m on furlough for the third time as I’m lucky enough to run a pub. Since march last year I’ve put on 9.5kg.

Luckily I had a larger pair of baggies stashed away for about 10 years that might come in handy some day.

jimmy748

I’ve lost 8kg and there’s now 2 more LBS in the area than this time last year.

lenski

Ridden my bikes almost every day 👍

13thfloormonk

Two or three good months on the turbo, managed to shift about 2kg weight but then work got on top of me, I started piling the biscuits back in and am now afraid to visit the scales again…

onecheshirecat
    Free Member

On the plus side, since the first lockdown ended, I’ve worked every day pretty much. This year’s, work is increasing even more.
    On the not so plus side, this means riding has dropped off, so pounds have been added. Or kilos. 5 of them to be precise.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Yep definitely gained some…. usually this time of year I’d be at the gym twice a week and playing 5 a side twice a week, the extra walking and biking just doesn’t have the same impact.

Sandwich

Pounds went on while I was laid up after the operation in November. At one stage I had gained 8kg. Since riding regularly from 27 December 2kg has been burned off.

MoreCashThanDash

Lost 10lbs in the first lockdown, that I’d gained due to various injuries in the previous 6 months.

Put it all back on over the course of this lockdown, despite an attempt at Chub Club.

The problems in my head rather than my waistline.

asbrooks

The first lockdown I actually lost some weight because I got off my arse and went out on my bike before starting work each day. But this around I couldn’t be bothered. After a year of staring at walls of the box room I think I’m going a little mad.

It was quite a shock putting my shorts on this morning, even after letting them out they were still uncomfortable.
    It was great to get out today, did 20 plus miles, first climb I was blowing through my arse.

Apologies if you came here expecting some sort of punch up with my local bike shop.. Sorry to disappoint.

theotherjonv

Me too. Was static to around Oct; eating too much but lots of riding. Since then it’s been a helter skelter slide, and a gain of about 9kg = 10%

Coupled to that a bad knee and yesterday and today was the only riding in Feb. But Spring’s coming, and I’m starting to feel positive to reverse that. Getting my imperial weight to start with a 14 is the first goal.

robertpb
    Free Member

In the last 50 years since the age of 20 the lightest I’ve been is 58.8kg and the heaviest 62.5kg, 59kg at the moment, but plenty of exercise usually 6 mile walk each morning plus bike riding.
    My Gamin says that I’m doing between 160 and 290 minutes of exercise per day. Don’t how people have a struggle to do 150 minutes per week.

pondo

* Raises hand sheepishly *

* Drops it in seconds through fatigue *

Don’t how people have a struggle to do 150 minutes per week.

If you can’t be arsed, like me, it’s very easy. 🙁

theotherjonv

Depression and a **** knee.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Caught a glimpse of my reflection as I got ready for a ride earlier.  Black mesh base layer, riding ‘pants’ and a bit of muffin top.  It’s not a look that’s going to moisten any gussets 🙁

iainc

Wouldn’t like to try put on a work suit or proper trousers… nae chance 😟

Davesport

Being a greedy fat knacker my weight seems to keep going up. Put on 1.5 kg’s since the end of October. Portion size is my downfall & I can eat until I’m incapable of bending in the middle. My strategy of giving in to temptation seems not to have paid off. Time for a rethink :o)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m ~5.5Kg heavier at just under 82Kg, not been able to do as much on the bike since Covid last March, with the usual gains in the winter months thanks to carb cravings. Briefly hitting 80Kg a few weeks back didn’t last long, lurgy for the last two weeks hasn’t helped.

mboy
    Free Member

Who’s got 2 thumbs and has got really fat during lockdown and doesn’t give a crap…?

😁

Nope I have a four pack, guns, can now do 30 sit-ups a day and I’m up to four proper press ups a day too

See I don’t get this at all… I’m firmly in the “obese” BMI now, probably getting close to morbidly so if I’m honest! I haven’t done a press up in years, but I could still crack out 100 right now if I wanted to… Don’t get me wrong, they wouldn’t be quick, and I’d be grimacing after a few dozen. I know our genders are different, but I’ve never been what you would call “muscly” and I’m probably carrying 65-70% more body mass than you right now too… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wouldn’t like to try put on a work suit or proper trousers… nae chance

I’m lucky in that I get to wear Jeans for work… Most of my Jeans no longer fit me, and those that do, I have to unbuckle my belt before spending a prolonger period sat on the sofa right now! 😩

Same here. I’ve got a whole new wardrobe now cos all my old clothes fit me again 🥳

The Large size baggy shorts I bought last January realising I’d put on a few lbs last winter are now tighter on me than the Mediums they replaced! 🤦🏻

But Spring’s coming, and I’m starting to feel positive to reverse that. Getting my imperial weight to start with a 14 is the first goal.

Got SAD big time these days myself too, lockdown hasn’t helped by effectively restricting my “local” riding spots so heavily. But the weather has been bloody awful too…

Anyway, my imperial weight only just starts with a 14 myself, and I mean by the skin of its teeth! It should start with an 11 ideally, certainly no more than a 12… 😔

Just been out for 30 miles on the road bike with the GF… First time on it since Christmas Day, only 2nd Strava’d ride this year after MTB ride on New Years Day, I was straight into my bottom gear on some of the relatively mild climbs where usually I’d be 3 or 4 gears down and capable of pushing through the pain… I could literally feel how much my weight was holding me back!

Still… About the only things many of us have been able to enjoy through 3 successive lockdowns have been food and booze, and I’m still alive and the sun is shining, so… 👍🏻

clubby

Don’t how people have a struggle to do 150 minutes per week.

Try a full time job and a toddler. Virtually all my outdoor exercise time for the past few months have consisted of taking him to the park. At the stage he wants to walk everywhere but gets tired quickly. By the time I get home at night, have tea and do the bath/bed routine it’s half past eight and nearly time for my bedtime.

First lockdown wasn’t too bad. Bought a trailer and towed the wee lad around all summer. Not huge miles but tow weight was 25kg so added to the workout. Too cold and wet this time round for that though. Up another 3.5kg and struggling.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

No never got the chance never stopped working or cycling to work and walking around at work so as work goes there was never a lockdown.

tjagain

A few lbs here. But my weight has fluctuated by a couple of stone over the last few years. I suspect I have actually lost some recently having put on a chunk earlier

I have lost any semblance of fitness tho

chrishc777
    Free Member

I have, but my body fat has also dropped. Gym every single weekday since start of lockdown. I’m now very strong but I did a 3,500ft ride for the first time this year and I could feel the extra effort. Hopefully that’s just my cardio being a bit off

13thfloormonk

Bloody hell, was maintaining 83.5kg for a while but back up to 85.5kg now.

Very disheartening how difficult it is to shift but how easy it is to put back on!

Suspect most of what I lost was just water weight from cutting carbs, have been on a bit of a carbs binge recently…🙄

At least I’m feeling fast 😎

montylikesbeer

I have managed to drop 12kg from an admittedly high value.

No pub helps and getting out on the bike twice a week

My new bike is another incentive which as my nature evidences is getting a right caning at the moment and for me done big rides

erictwinge
    Free Member

Try a full time job and a toddler

got a full time job and two toddlers (they are a bit older now tbf) and two dogs.

still managed to ride 4 or 5 times a week. you find time if you want it enough.

not trolling, i appreciate everyone has different situations, maybe you cant ride from the door for example? but just saying its easy to fall out the routine. i used to go out for an early pre-work blast in summer, lunch time power-hours, or in the evenings. Lucky enough to have a partner who understands that not riding makes me grumpy which tends to reflects back on the family. so i continued my Saturday morning routine throughout too. i would look after the kids while she had some time to herself afterwards. and we still went to the park every day.

Daffy

Managed to keep to the same weight, but it’s been harder from December to March due to the bad weather messing up the bike and my gear, so have been running, in the dark and the cold before the kids get up, or occasionally at lunch. 300km of running this year so far. :-/

I also try to consciously restrict my calories on non-exercise days.

SaxonRider

The two years since my crash have been a roller coaster, really. I piled on the weight in convalescence, then, by the one year mark, started to take it off again by regular bicycle commuting and additional riding. Then, by last February, I left my long-term employment, stopped commuting anywhere, and lost all incentive to go out on my bike. And there I have stayed for a year.

Until now. After having to buy all new clothes after Christmas due to weight gain, I knew I didn’t want to continue on the upward trajectory. So as soon as I was fully recovered from Covid (another set-back!), I started using the turbo trainer in my back garden, and cutting down on what I was stuffing in my face.

As of this morning, it’s been 3 weeks of cutting down, and one full week of at least spinning my legs, and I’m down 2kgs.

So I’m finally headed in the right direction, but still some way off from my goal of 79kgs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Who’s piled on the lbs during lockdown?’ is closed to new replies.