Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Who's had a 6000 series alloy frame fixed
  • Lummox

I seem to have purchased a frame that has developed a nice set of cracks in the shock mount, looking ideally to repair but I’m aware that post weld it will require heat treatment.

So has anyone had a frame welded and heat treated successfully and can they remember who did it?

Cheers

rc200f8
    Free Member

Couldn’t find anyone locally (Kent) who could reheat treat my Turner Six pack when it cracked last year, ended up sending it back to Turner who replaced the cracked seat tube, reheat treated, powder coated, new decals & full bush set for a very reasonable £210.
    I’d like to find someone locally who can do it as I have another cracked 6061 frame that I’d like to get repaired

Lummox

210 sounds very reasonable for all that work. My frame is of the gravity orientated fruity variety. Awaiting a reply from them to see what they think.

eshershore
    Free Member

any 6XXX frame will typically require T6 heat treatment post welding (heating / water bath quenching, alignment check and manipulation and then artificial ageing)

can be very expensive as its a time consuming process with the heat treatment in 2 stages in temp. controlled oven, as well as alignment checks on an alignment table

Lummox

Hmmm I wonder if we’d be into new swingarm territory then, I’d swallow a couple of hundred for a pro repair. Only because I’d hopefully get more use out of it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Who's had a 6000 series alloy frame fixed’ is closed to new replies.