• This topic has 59 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by aP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Who’s got the most lights on their bike?
  • trumpton
    Free Member

I’ve three at the back, one on the bars and a front/back helmet light. Thats on a road going commuter.

Any better?

nickc

Commendable, but I bet some drivers still would claim “Not to have seen you”

IME flashing makes more of a difference than number of lumins (or moomins, or flux capacitors or megatrons, or however we’re measuring light output today )

trumpton
    Free Member

are you saying flashing is better or worst? I flash all of mine.

tomhoward

Flashing lights get the drivers attention, fixed makes it easier to judge distance/speed. I use both.

1 bar light, one forward helmet, then a flashing rear helmet light, and a solid one on the seatpost. Despite them being plenty bright, sometimes i feel i may as well not have bothered…

joshvegas
    Free Member

you should have atleast one solid red light so you can be tracked, some of the flashes are mad long between bursts and in a street with a lot of lights already i find it way easier to keep tabs on a solid light.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Four back and two front.

Kid has 3 back and three front.

But there’s some redundancy there since most of them are rechargeable so you would expect at least one to fail on any given day/two days

scaredypants

3 back (actually 5 but only really use 3) along a horizontal plastic bar that I’ve bodged onto the rack (2 pulsing, one flashing), two front on the bars. Also pedal reflectors, spoke reflectors, reflective anklets glued to my boots and a reflective gilet. I must look quite a sight

Several is good IMO, even just so that you’re covered for failure

(I think a combination of flashing and constant is good. I don’t do superbright except on the front when there’s no traffic as I think it’s unsafe to dazzle drivers)

lunge

Front – 2 on constant, 1 on flashing
    Back, 2 on constant, 2 flashing
    Helmet, 1 front on constant, 1 back flashing
    Reflectors – On the spokes (there are really good for side roads), on the frame and guards and on my helmet.
    Clothing – Hi-viz gillet, snap wraps on ankles, various other bits of reflective stuff on clothing.

trumpton
    Free Member

I am going to add two more at the back I think for solid operation. Can you tell I’ve found the light’s section in the pound shop. To be fair two on the rear are very bright cat eyes.

ampthill

Only 3

But Tom has it. You need flashing and constant…..

Bez

One front, one rear.

I double up the rear if I’m using the Fly6 or if I’m riding rural roads when it’s foggy.

peteimpreza

Front :One fixed one flashing

Rear : One fixed , 3 flashing

Could add a helmet light to give one extra font and rear .

Mt Christmas tree or what………….!!

trumpton
    Free Member

thats really impressive all !!
    the helmet lights are good as they are high level and when you look at a car the light points straight at the driver. Only just started using one but would not be without one now.

DezB
    Free Member

There are some bonkers configurations in the bike shed here. Saw one with 2 Smarts and another cheapo on the rear, and a 1000lm Chinese job on the front. Another one has a long metal bar attached to the side which folds against the frame – folds out to stick out the side with a reflector on the end!
    I just have one front, one rear and a helmet light for when it’s really dark on the back roads. But it’s getting lighter every day so haven’t needed it this week.

Bez

I am going to add two more at the back I think

You’ve already got four 😳 – what is six going to achieve? 🤔

Mister-P
    Free Member

Rear I have a Cycliq camera with the light flashing plus a constant light below that. The constant has plenty of side beam so it lights me up as well as shining backwards. I also have one large and two smaller reflectors on mudguards along with bright yellow overshoes with reflective strips up the back.

On the front I have a Cycliq camera with the light on constant.

My commute is almost all on country roads so rear visibility is by far the most important (IMHO). Once in town I’m on cycle paths.

DezB
    Free Member

I will say, the last time I remember being hit in the dark, was when I used to use a Hope Vision 2 on the bars plus a bright Ebay special flashing like a disco strobe. I was so visible (reflective Zap jacket too) – but this clever woman was too busy looking for a parking space to see anything that might’ve been coming towards her. So you can wear a Christmas Tree covered in LEDs on yer ‘ead.. but if they ain’t looking…

tomhoward

when you look at a car the light points straight at the driver.

Ideally not, as it could dazzle them, I have that one on lowish power and pulsing, so they see it in there peripheral vision.

trumpton
    Free Member

I think another two solids would be effective. It keeps me happy.

jimdubleyou

5 – I have a couple on the front, one constant, one flashing. Fly6 + another on rear + a little thing on the helmet.

I also have a lot of reflective tape on the bike which bounces back on the sides as well.

In theory my tyres have reflective side walls, but they’re filthy at the moment so not sure how effective they are…

Bez

I think another two solids would be effective. It keeps me happy.

Having to turn that many lights on and off every time I rode a bike, and having to charge that many lights up all the time, would make me absolutely bloody miserable, but each to their own.

(In fact that’s true even if “that many” is one. Dynamo lights FTW: no charging and no turning on and off either.)

pdw
    Free Member

most of them are rechargeable so you would expect at least one to fail on any given day/two days

I don’t get this. Surely if they’re rechargeable, you can just keep topping them up so that this doesn’t happen?

Just two decent rear lights for me. One solid, one flashing. Redundancy of rear lights is important as you won’t notice if they stop working, but I’m not sure there would be much benefit in adding more.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Flashing lights get the drivers attention, fixed makes it easier to judge distance/speed. I use both.

Yep.

Local – 2 rear, flashing/constant. One front strobing flash.
    That London – rear as above, plus another flashing on helmet. Two fronts, one flashing, one constant.

joebristol

2 front lights – one on pulsing the other on solid. 3 at the back – 1 pulsing and 2 flashing. Also got a reflective jacket, hi vis backpack with reflective strips on and leggings with reflective sections all over them.

Hopefully that’s enough to get the attention of most numpties driving / texting / facebooking etc.

sandwicheater

One front/one back on both MTB & road bike. Hmmm, may need to up my game to compete with some of you, cos you know, it is a competition.

molgrips
    Free Member

You need steady and fast blinking. Saw a bloke the other day with a really slow blinking rear light, like on and off every second. Basically he kept disappearing and reappearing. Absolutely dreadful in busy traffic. Who the hell designed a light that even has that mode?

Bez

Basically he kept disappearing and reappearing.

Mm, I never use a flashing light on its own for this reason (except sometimes in London in the daytime, when I’m perfectly visible without a light but I can expect to be filtering past queuing traffic a lot, and I know from experience that a flashing light is more noticeable in a wing mirror).

A year or two ago, in the pitch dark, I was about to pull out onto a roundabout (in the car). Empty roundabout, nothing approaching.Fortunately I’m the sort of person who always looks twice, because when I looked first time nothing was visible, because the chap on the bike who was just approaching my arm of the roundabout had a flashing light which was off when I looked the first time.

That said, I’d not entirely agree with everyone saying “you need a flashing and a static light”. I’d suggest you “need” a static one when it’s dark. You might feel that a flashing one helps in some situations, in which case great, fit one. I think it’s excessive to say you “need” one.

DezB
    Free Member

I agree – front light bright enough to put a noticeable pool of light on the road will get you seen. (By those that are looking!)

geex
    Free Member

My roadbike affectionately named by friends “the Christmas Tree” has

3x led 1600lm headlight
    White silicon Leds on:
    front hub
    fork leg
    Bar
    Bar end plug
    Red silicon Leds on:
    seatpost saddle clamp
    seatpost clamp
    chainstays x2
    rear hub
    Red spoke Leds on both wheels
    and an iGlow pump behind the seatpost – sort of like a mini light sabre when on constant.

and I wear an Led armband and shoe Led on my right arm/foot so drivers might give more room when passing

That makes 15

some are used on constant some flash.

For riding quiet rural roads solo in pitch dark where drivers won’t be expecting to see a bike

jimdubleyou

Flashing ones should be at 1-4hz – i.e. flashing 60 to 240 times a minute if it’s the only one you’ve got.

If I’m running just one it will be on that pulse setting where it’s never really off but it’s rare that I’d only have one light on the bike.

trumpton
    Free Member

wow Geex

kayak23

There’s that dude who rides a fatbike, who has a spotlight mounted on each vertically positioned bar-end. I see him about now and again.

True story.

Bez

For riding quiet rural roads solo in pitch dark where…

…even one light would stick out like a sore thumb?

geex
    Free Member

We all know you’re an expert on all road safety issues Bez but you don’t know anything at all about visibility on the rural roads I ride.

Bez

Sure, but… I can understand a light so you can be seen without being otherwise illuminated; I can understand hoping that a flashing one might more easily catch the attention of someone who’s not fully concentrating; and I can understand hoping that lights or reflectives on legs/shoes might—by way of denoting someone on a bike rather than something else—somehow achieve something. I can even understand just clutching at straws in the hope that buying and fitting a ton of lights is worth whatever tiny benefit it might afford. (So don’t get me wrong, I’m not dissing you, it’s just that my eyebrows briefly got altitude sickness when I read your list.)

I’m just curious because it seems like you might have a considered justification for adding each of those lights. And you may be right: in each case it may be some highly specific thing that I’ve not encountered on any of the rural roads I’ve ridden. But I’m interested…

cb200
    Free Member

I currently have my Hope R4+ on the front, which has a slow very bright/quite alternating flash.

On the rear, technically it’s five. Tye central light on’throb’ and the straps in a rotating windmill mode.

lights

geex
    Free Member

Come on night ride with me and you’d get it fairly quickly.

Narrow, twisty (many 90deg turns) rural tall hedge/wall/tree lined roads with blind exits, dips. and junctions where very few people live. So often you’ll rarely meet a driver at all. But if you do it’s either a farmer/estate worker or local who is driving on auto pilot used to being the only vehicle on the road or someone not familiar with the roads at all.
    I don’t run th 1600lm light on full. more like 500 most of the time 1000 for highspeed descents (40mph). So it lasts a good few hours.

geex
    Free Member

Oh.. and also a few of the Leds are usb charged and I’m not brilliant at keeping on top of charging them so 3hrs in some occasionally die
    On other routes with better visibility I don’t switch them all on. But they do all live on the bike all year round as do mudguards.
    I also don’t wear hi viz or a helmet

joemmo
    Free Member

2 front – constant on the bars, flashing on the helmet, 2 rear – pulsing on the frame, flashing on bag – and sometimes if I’m feeling crazy, these on the wheels

mos

1 on the front & 1 fixed & 1 flasher on the rear. Plus i’ve just bought one of those Lumos helmets with lights after following someone with one on. Brilliant bit of kit.
    And a reflective jacket.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Who’s got the most lights on their bike?’ is closed to new replies.