Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Who's got a SC Tallboy? How tall & what size? Decision time
  • coopersport1
    Free Member

I’ve been toying with the idea for a while, I XC race on a large Scott Scale 29er HT but am looking for a slightly more forgiving trail/enduro bike. Kidneys are trashed anyway so selling one for a Tallboy fits the bill in the quest to replace my Five for no other reason than I fancy a change. I’m 6’1 and am head down go rather than sit up and beg

Who’s riding what, apart from Rob Dean on a XXL

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Prob best bet to go large from having looked at one in store though it could be subjective to how long your legs are etc.

singlespeedstu

I’m 6′ with a 32″ inside leg and after a test ride have just ordered a large tallbot LTC if that’s any help.

rone

I’m just 6ft and a large fits me. I’m short legged long body. My mate got an xl and he is just over six feet. So you could be on the edge.

sambob
    Free Member

Large. I’m 6’2″ and a Large was perfect, gave me plenty of seatpost drop but wasn’t too short. Very very good bike. Can’t begin to imagine how much fun an LTc would be…

shortcut

Sent you a txt Si!

NZCol

5’11” and on a large i would probably say an XL as they size up quite short on the TT.

I also have a carbon LTc about to arrive ….

Rorschach
    Free Member

6’2″ /33″ inseam and I’d ride an xl.

sambob
    Free Member

Seems like I’m the odd one out with a large at 6’2″, although I’ all legs rather than having a long torso. Would probably be fine on an XL for mile-munching, but I’m not skilled enough to descend as quickly as I’d like on a larger bike.

Metasequoia

No me too, I’m all legs and just under 6’4″so don’t need a v long top tube. (I changed from an XXL- too long for me in retrospect a whole inch longer than the XL). Lots of post and a 100mm stem, but suits for XC, and I like the shorter wheel base. I suspect someone at 6’2″ with a longer torso would need an XL too.

and Dyfi shot.

paulevans
    Free Member

Coopersport1

paulevans
    Free Member

Coopersport1, go for it! I did a 30 mile charity race on mine yesterday up here in the Lakes and managed to knock almost 30 minutes off my 2011 time on the same route. Would have been quicker still if it wasn’t for cramp and a cake stop!!

Let me know if you decide to pull the trigger – i may be able to do you a deal on my large frame and forks!

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

PaulE- tried e-msiling you earlier.
    Might be interested if someone buys my tracer 2 etc and i decide to keep mtbing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@metaseqouia – nice photo !

Paceman
    Free Member

Metaseqouia,

Great looking bike. What are the tyres you’re running in the photo?

Paceman

p.s. I demo’ed a medium and a large TB and the large felt best, i’m 5’10” with 32″ inseam but like a longer bike position.

Metasequoia

Photo courtesy of Jon Brooke at Righttimerightplace. I nearly ran over the tripod with the flash!

Tyres are Ikons 2.2 EXO sideways, running tubeless. They were great on the rocks, just about enough traction on the muddy sections. I was careful with the front one, some drift, it was very wet though!

Paceman, thanks for the comment, It was only though trial and error that I found I was happier with a slightly ‘smaller’ 29er frame (relatively- still 25.1 inch top tube!)

mbl1
    Free Member

6’3″ and I ride an XL. Fits like a glove.

camerone
    Free Member

I am six foot and 32.5 leg, ride a large Highball C. Might have accidentally ordered a large tallboy ltc to replace a blur ltc.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Ok decision made, I need a large. My pain is now do I save myself £700 and buy Paul ^^^ 8 month old one or hold on a bit and get new in my prefered blue colour and with warranty which is my biggest deal breaker! I’m not the luckiest guy in the world and it would be just my luck i’d not have a warranty when I need one. (my carbon Scale 29er is just about to go back under warranty!)

coopersport1
    Free Member

Jon Brooke does take some good shots- me TranWales 2011 blind(I’d never ridden it before) timed descent down the Climax trail, podiumed next to MTBMatt, & a local lad, still chuffed to bits about that day

robdeanhove
    Free Member

OK, so my XXL is a little out there in sizing! But there are two other “normal tall size” guys out there that make more sensible points of reference:

1) Josh Ibbett has an XL, but tha’s to get a longer, racey position.

2) Dave Arthur, who is more your size, has the L and whilst he’s fast on race day on it, he built it up with the focus on being a fast trail bike, and it’s very, very good at that, so I’d maybe go with the L. That said, it’s well worth trying to get a test ride first of course.

Not sure about the “they come up short in the top tube” comment, maybe some facts and figures from the geometry charts are better to look at than that comment, my XXL has a massive 26″ top tube, yes it’s an XXL but that’s one of the longest top tubes I can find on any stock bike, even looking at other XXL and 22″ frames!

The XL has a 25″ top tube, which is a length that I can still get away with, and is long enough for me to still get a stretched, head down bum up position. The L has a 24″ top tube. Maybe get a tape measure on your current frame? The bent top tube means plenty of standover pretty much no matter what size seat tube you get.

Hope that helps and, more importantly, that you enjoy your new bike, no matter what you end up with 🙂

coopersport1
    Free Member

Cheers Rob, I was being lazy and not refering to the geo charts which I’ve now done.
    My large Scale (which I’ll be keeping if I get the frame replaced under warranty, another story) has a 23″ top tube and I run a 90mm stem so 24″ TT on a Large Tallboy should be perfect
    I’ll be building it up as a fast trail bike but also use it for some of the longer races I’m going to start doing again next year. Half got my eye on EWE so will see how it goes for you guys this year!

pwracing
    Free Member

I dont suppose you guys know anyone wanting to tell a Tallboy LT in xl?

really keen on one haha

cheers

boxelder

At 6’4″, with long legs, I’m riding an XXL.
    Doesn’t feel too stretched (bought SH with 120mm forks and a +1 deg slackset – makes it great for descents). 80mm stem.

Anyone with a carbon version using any kind of ‘skid plate’ frame protection??

bedmaker

I have an LTc in large at 5″10. I found the frame short so got a large when I usually have a medium on every other bike I’ve had.
    Annoyingly, after spending so much, I’ve only ridden it twice since getting a fat bike five months ago. I’ll get back into it in the summer though hopefully.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a SC Tallboy? How tall & what size? Decision time’ is closed to new replies.