Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Who's got a Garmin 800?
  • AdamW
    Free Member

And is it any good (wanted mainly for navigation).

Thinking about buying the trail bundle, but just want to be sure it will be OK!

tomdaws
    Free Member

Mines great ! Once you forget how much it cost you’ll never look back.

mauja
    Free Member

I’m pretty pleased with mine too, I can only compare it to the memory adventurer as that’s the only other gps I’ve used but I’d go for the garmin everytime.

brakes
    Free Member

Mate has got one, it’s got far more features than you’d ever need

ChrisI

I find mine is great. Very useful for places like Swinley where you can load up OpenMTBMaps onto it and know where the trails actually are 😀

Also great for exploring new routes as you always know exactly where you are and can scope out other potential routes.

lightningbolt
    Free Member

I got a edge 605 cheap on ebay and its awesome. Does everything that the 705 does but without heartrate and cadence which i didn’t want anyway. not sure what extras the 800.

AdamW
    Free Member

Are they ok as navigation aids? I want to plop new routes on there to follow. Do you generally end up buying the 1:25000 maps or is the ‘Discoverer’ bundle adequate?

tomdaws
    Free Member

Are they ok as navigation aids? I want to plop new routes on there to follow. Do you generally end up buying the 1:25000 maps or is the ‘Discoverer’ bundle adequate?

I bought the discoverer bundle, and separatley bought the city navigator map as I use my 800 both on & off road. If you load a route on it & follow it i reckon the discover maps are fine. I really cant imagine using it to navigate without a route though, the screen is too small, & it would also mean making multiple stops(like you’d do with a paper map)which to me defeats the object of a sat nav.

Its great to just load up a route & turn when it tells you to, leaving you to concentrate on riding & enjoying yourself.

Of course, there is always the risk of it not working for whatever reason, so its probably best to have a back up plan if you’re planning to ride in the middle of nowhere – maybe carry a map on some rides ?

I honestly dont think youll regret buying one, they’re great !!

DT78
    Free Member

yep – fanastic gadget. I use mine mostly for training and reviewing rides. Have used it to ‘navigate’ without a route once and it wasn’t great – as above had to keep stopping.

I have yet to go out into the ‘wilds’ and follow a gpx route in a rear I don’t know well yet though. I have noticed oocassionally it tells me I’m off route when I know I am not (as I ride the same loop for training) it sorts itself out quite quickly though.

Oh I use opensource mapping of talkytoaster. Buying the OS maps is a bit steep.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a Garmin 800?’ is closed to new replies.