Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Who's got a Cotic BFe and what are they like?
  • crocodilian
    Free Member

A broad question but just looking for some general ideas of what they're like to ride. Some pics would be good too!
    Cheers.

Vortexracing

Just about to buy a 2nd hand one. Hopefully it's as much fun as my Soul

househusband
    Free Member

Have had both Soul and BFe. The BFe is noticeably heavier and more solid; doesn't have the sprightliness that the Soul has. I was never as hooligan as the BFe frame I had – so I sold it. Have a new Soul and love it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    swisstony
    Free Member

I really like mine, run it with Pikes up front and lightish but tough build, thomson, xtr, crossmax.

Climbs very well and great going down, i updated my trusty Cove Stiffee to a BFe as i like a do it all hardtail and i've no regrets.

Watch the sizing though, i'm 5 10 and have always ridden mediums as my other 3 bikes are but i ride a small BFe.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Yeah I'm 6 3 and would normally go for a large but I guess a medium would be best then?

swisstony
    Free Member

maybe but i'd see if i could try one first, don't know where you are but drop Cy at Cotic a line and he may have a test bike near you.

househusband
    Free Member

Yeah I'm 6 3 and would normally go for a large but I guess a medium would be best then?

I'm 6'2" and went from large Soul to medium (17.5" as it was with the first batch) BFe and could get the saddle just high enough with a 410mm Thomson post. Bearing in mind that the BFe is more orientated toward downhill and getting air I'd agree.

Vortexracing

What size post do the Grey/Red ones take, is it 31.6mm same as the new ones?

kelvin
    Vortexracing

Cheers Kelvin, saved me buying a new seat and post in the wrong size there.

I owe you one

kelvin

Wayback Machine is damn useful.

Vortexracing

Sure is, just bought a 2nd hand grey one and some new lyriks. 😆

should just be what i need to kill myself.

cy

Be a little careful on seatpost sizing, as there are 20 grey frames out there with 31.6mm seatposts. They were from the last batch of full 853 frames which also included the orange ones. June 2009 onwards. All the others with 30.9mm. All used the same 34.9mm seatclamp and front mech size.

New ones are coming in about 4 weeks. They've left Taiwan already.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

What are they like? Well the clue's in the name… 😉

Mine's built up as a DH hardtail/jump/play bike. It's nowhere near as comfortable as my Soda over long distance, but being a size smaller and with a dinky stem, it really comes into its own on the steep, fast, tech stuff and big jumps. Mine's just back from 4 days of welsh trail centres, and it was ace. A single 36T ring was just about OK for the climbs, and Pikes + short wheelbase made it very nice and nimble on the downs.

I swapped bikes with a mate who had a Chameleon. Now that was a harsh bike. The BFe is solid, but does somehow just mute the initial impact a fraction better.

allthegearandnoidea
    Free Member

Hi Chucky

I've just boxed up your bfe and about to head to the post office. Seatpost size is def 30.9.

They're great bikes to ride, but I found the small too long for me (I'm short). I might have to get one of the extra small ones when they arrive….

Compared with a stiffee they are more stable and planted and comfier. Compared with a soul they are a lot less twangy.

toys19
    Free Member

Ohh ohh stop it, I need one.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bought one autumn last year – I ride a bit of dh and do like the occasional jump sesh and Ive broken a few frames(dmr's etc) in the past so wanted something solid.

However, all Ive ridden since getting it is xc stuff. It feels great for this, really manouverable. Its possibly a touch small for a long xc rides though. I use 120mm marzocchi z1's on it which are just about right.

If you dont ride dh or dirt jumps, your probably better off with a soul cos there a bit lighter and apparently a bit comfier too.

I'll get some longer travel forks for it for the alps this year cos the braking bumps on those morzine or les gets tracks are pretty hellish

mildred

I've had a Bfe and a Soul. I much preferred the Bfe as a do it all trail bike – I found the Soul slightly lifeless and dull but the Bfe felt much livelier. I've no idea why or how but that's how it felt. I couldn't tell the difference weight wise.

I'm just under 5'11" with long legs and had an 18", but felt that the 16" may have been a better bet.

Vortexracing

Cheers davidtaylforth. I'll sort the extra for postage out in a minute or two. Very much appreciate you posting it so quick.

I intend to put a 50mm stem on it, which is 20mm less than the one on my Soul, which is also a small. I somehow prefer a slightly longer TT even though i'm only 5ft 4".

The Alpine I have is just too short for me, thats a 21"TT. It didn't half fly down hill though. The clue seems to be in the name for that particular frame

Like you though, if It proves slightly too long then Cy will be having an order for the XS one in that very nice Black with reflective decals colour.

My new bargain U-Turn Lyriks should be here tomorrow, so I'll see if I can get it built for a nightride round Rivington tomorrow night and then Wales on Thursday/Friday and Saturday.

Just need the I beam post and seat to arrive from CRC and it will be sorted.

Just got a mailshot from Cotic, thay are haing a demo day at the Dales bike centre, may have to have a trip up there to see the new BFe in the flesh.

JohnEdwards, do you swap between Lyriks and Pikes on yours?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup. Have been running my Lyrics since last summer (nicked off my big bike), but recently got hold of some Pikes now the missus has got some 2010 Revs (still got to pay her for them, but that's another story).

For proper big boy DH stuff, the Lyrics were fantastic – slackened it off nicely, and made for a really solid precise front end. I spent 2 weeks ragging it round Les Arcs like that and loved it to bits.

Back in the UK, the 6lb fork is slightly overkill (although still loads of fun when it's steep), and making it a bit more nimble with a lighter shorter fork has been no bad thing. It's better for DJing (not that I'm any good at it), and a little more balanced on "normal" trails – my arms and legs were both equally wrecked having done a flat out run down Deadwood/Peregrine Ridge/Jetlag.

Vortexracing

I've got Pikes on my Soul, so when winter sets in I intend to put some rigids on that and put the pikes on the BFe.

but I might try it out before that to see what it's Like

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Jon,

Was you the guy who had some 150mm travel Z1's on a bfe? I think I saw a picture on here ages ago.

Do you still have them? Would you sell them? What model were they etc?

I could do with some longer travel forks for mine and usually go for marzocchi cos there cheap and reliable.

How do they compare to 66 rc2x's ? I used them last year and they were good

ta

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Yup – that was me. I still have them, and am actually looking to sell them.

Will mail you.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice one, I'll try and check my mail tonight if it hasnt come through before i finish work.

allthegearandnoidea
    Free Member

Cheers Chucky got the payment.

My mate Robbie rides for cotic and used to run pikes on his bfe, before they gave him some wotans. Seemed fine, didn't stop him doing stupid things on it! (Things that I haven't replicated on your one ;))

Vortexracing

Things that I haven't replicated on your one

I wouldn't worry at 44 I won't be riding like him either 😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Who's got a Cotic BFe and what are they like?’ is closed to new replies.