Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Whos been to Finale Ligura??
  • hicksville
    Free Member

Hello it is that time of year got the holiday planners and need to know, Whos been to Finale Ligura??
    Wheres the best place to stay in the area, town wise?
    Do you need a ‘guide’ or can it be done DIY with maps?
    What is the range of riding?

Any help pics or thoughts welcome

Thanks 😀

solamanda
    Free Member

I spent nearly a week there this summer on my travels. I booked uplift with http://www.finalefreeride.com/ and they let me camp on site for a reasonable cost – note this is not a normal option so you need some blagging skills. There are lots of places to stay in the town but you need to book early if going in the holiday month of August.

Finale freeride are based near the town of Finale Borgo, which is about a mile from Finale Ligure and the coast itself.

You could DIY it with maps but guiding with uplift is very reasonable cost wise. They are more setup for people doing short trips so make sure you ask them in advance to vary the trails they use.

The riding is best described as being like short course UK ‘dh’ style singletracks. They’re not that steep, quite pedally and not too bumpy. The difference is they’re not short, the descents are loooong – more so than many ski lift resorts as the trails make good use of the altitude.

It’s very hot and hard going in the summer so I think going there to ride the climbs would be daft.

Food in restaurants is cheap and the best Italian cooking I’ve eaten. No one in the towns speak English so brush up on your Italian.

I have no riding photos but these are some shots of the area http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcsolomons/sets/72157606948719800/

hicksville
    Free Member

Thanks Solmanda, when you say like short DH courses are there lots of drop offs and jumps or is it a more flowy nature????

postierich
    Free Member

I,ve been and not had to much of a problem with the DHs and I,m more xc orientated,very easy to find your way around I did have a map but gave it to Gingerflash he will probably send on if you ask nicely.Hotels are very expensive but was a price worth paying to keep the gf happy.Great resturants and a very family friendly resort if you have baggage!

rich

solamanda
    Free Member

when you say like short DH courses are there lots of drop offs and jumps or is it a more flowy nature????

There are a few drop offs dotted around, the majority are optional and you’ll only hit them if you’re looking for them. There are a few that don’t have chicken runs but are only a couple feet and rollable. The trails have really good flow so you barely need to use the brakes.

When I was riding the guided group varied from dh racers to ooold italian dude’s who where xc’ers on freeride bikes. No one had a problem with the level of terrain.

It’s funest places I’ve ridden in the alps due to the trails being dam easy to ride quickly blind as there is little to shock you. But it’s not my favourite as the trails are abit easy. You can’t fail to have fun. Make sure you have good thick dh tyres as the few rocks on the trails are bloody sharp.

hicksville
    Free Member

thanks folks

gingerflash

I have Postie’s maps and will be happy to send them on if you want them. Asking the guy at the shop in Final Borgo is a good idea too – he seems to know all the trails very well.

We thought it was quite good fun but much preferred riding about 50km towards France and inland a bit with RivieraBike – proper big mountains and seriously technical riding. Finale was MUCH too hot when we were there and away from the coast there were very few villages with anything open during the day, even finding water was very difficult.

nasher
    Free Member

Hicksville

Finale has some excelelnt trails, but is very busy and the trails are eroding.

Behind finale is Calizzano, it was how finale used to be without the hordes, very fast smooth fun singletrack.

Further east is San Remo which is manic..steep and very techy, 30 mins further in the mountains the trails change from wooded singletrack from fast to techy and of course is the stuff in France.

This is where voulioz trains for the mega!!

More info here http://www.rivierabike

mrsflash
    Free Member

go with rivierabike, seriously good riding there 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Just found this thread in the search function. I like the pics. riverierabike can offer a complete package? GF is non-biking and alittle pregnant at the moment so wants comfort/good restaurants.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Hora, Rivierabike can sort out other stuff for her to do, walking etc. The hotel they use apparently has fab food – we didn't stay there last year, we camped, but the other guests raved about the food so much & the riding was so good we are going back in september.

goslow

Stayed with Riviera last September. Lovely little village, not much to do (other than bike) but meals in hotel were really good. Not too far to San Remo on the coast.

hora
    Free Member

How far are they from the beach? (Gf doesnt drive)

easygirl

RIVIERA BIKE IS GREAT, JUST BEEN WITH THEM, THE TOWN IS QUIET, BUT HAS A LAGOON THAT YOU CAN SUNBATHE AROUND, A FEW BARS, THE HOTEL FOOD IS VERY GOOD AND ACCOMODATION IS GREAT.
    ADY AND JO WOULD CATER FOR YOU GF I WOULD IMAGINE

hora
    Free Member

THANK YOU EASYGIRL. 😆

mrsflash
    Free Member

Hora, it's a drive to the coast, but as easygirl says, there's a lagoon at a walkable distance.

easygirl

sorry about the caps, only noticed near the end!!

richc
    Free Member

If you do decide to go Hora, could you post up the dates, so no-one accidentally books the same week as you.

hora
    Free Member

Chomp. I'll check the dates with you just you. That way I wont have to share with a mongy IT support-nerd 😆

Pauly

The riding with Riviera Bike is excellent. Was there last August for 2 weeks and the trails were fantastic.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Whos been to Finale Ligura??’ is closed to new replies.